Laid her eggs, but isn't recovering well!

YogiGirl

My female panther had a 'difficult pregnancy'. She took about 3 days to completely lay all of her eggs (since dropping the first one), but finally did lay 25 eggs total last week.

Immediately after laying, she did eat and drink a little. But now, for the last 5 days or so, she has hardly been eating or drinking anything. Yesterday she probably ate 2 crickets and today none. I've tried misting her for long periods of time, showers, drippers... she won't drink, but is becoming very dehydrated. Eyes sunken in, even her skin started chapping and bleeding a little at the hip bone today.

She is also very bloated again now (was skinny immediately after laying) and has developed strange dark spots on her belly and side. They almost look like bruises.

I'm thinking of taking to her to the vet tomorrow if I can get in, but does anyone have any insight on this in the meantime? Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I'm very concerned.

Any pictures you can provide would help tremendously. I have no experience with female panthers but it sounds like she may have more eggs or is just stressed.

this sounds bad, in my opinion, when in doubt, seek medical help. a Vet visit is definately worth it,

It is possible she is retaining eggs like Syn said, but there could be other things as well. Let a vet figure it out.
Some females just can't recover from the egg laying process. In a case like this, don't delay getting her to a vet as you want her treated as quickly as possible as to increase her chances of pulling through.

Back
Top Bottom