Kinyongia Catch!!!

jdog1027

Established Member
Forum member Ferdy Timmerman posted a thread recently and mentioned about how his Kinyongia chameleons would hold their prey items with one hand as they chewed them up. Several people commented that they have seen various Kinyongia chameleons display this behavior as well as myself. On Halloween weekend, I caught a moth and gave it to my picky eater male multituberculata. As the moth instinctively flew to the top of the cage toward the light source, he began to franticly wave his hands outstretched above him until he scored a complete catch with his right hand!!! It was unbelievable!!! I ran for the camera and filmed what little I could. From now on before I throw in any moths, I'll have camera in hand!!! Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj-MtUkqSKA

Last edited:
I've seen my female use her hand to pull something out of her mouth if she doesn't like it and then just drop it. It's very cute - I thought it was just a weird quirk of hers.

Thats awesome! my jaw would of dropped and hit the ground watching that happen.

By the way. Your male is gorgeous. Good luck with your eggs i'm assuming are from him.

Oh yeah first to comment on the vid :) u did good :) kinyongia are just so fast to learn they have quick reaction too iv noticed Zilla likes to make jumps if he cant reach branches he never failed but he makes me worry. Haha

Thats awesome! my jaw would of dropped and hit the ground watching that happen.

By the way. Your male is gorgeous. Good luck with your eggs i'm assuming are from him.

Thanks. Actually, he is not the sire of the clutch I have. I plan on breeding him in the next 3-6 months.

That is very cool...I note that your chameleon is right handed....I wonder if it's the dominate thing in the chameleon world as well?

Great video, thanks for posting ! This genus is really interesting, I've seen smaller Kinyongias several time real fast jumping from one branch to the other, for coming closer to food or for escaping from bad humans ;)

Back
Top Bottom