Kinyongia Boehmei terrarium setup

Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some questions answered that I don't seem to get the answers to by talking to people where I live. I am about to take home a K. boehmei but I seem to have some issues with my terrarium.

I bought coco husk because I was recommended that. I got mold within 4 days (!). So I wonder if I can put the coco husk as a substrate but to put it in dry and not soak it first. Then spray it with water twice a day. Will that keep the humidity around 70-75 degrees? It was up to 80-90 degrees with it soaked...

I was also recommended to keep springtails in the substrate to eat organic matter. But I was told the terrarium works without springtails. But how often do you have to change/clean the terrarium without springtails? Does anyone use them in the substrate? Can they live in the coco husk even if the husk is not soaked but dry?

My terrarium is 45x45x60 cm (Exo Terra).

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some questions answered that I don't seem to get the answers to by talking to people where I live. I am about to take home a K. boehmei but I seem to have some issues with my terrarium.

I bought coco husk because I was recommended that. I got mold within 4 days (!). So I wonder if I can put the coco husk as a substrate but to put it in dry and not soak it first. Then spray it with water twice a day. Will that keep the humidity around 70-75 degrees? It was up to 80-90 degrees with it soaked...

You are not using the accurate term for humidity. The term is percent not degrees. I would talk to somebody at the store that sold you the coco husk and confirm if they can supply you with organic anti mold substance. Then post here and allow every one here to review the product here to confirm if it is a solid worthy idea to use the anti mold substance along with the coco hush. If it is decided to be a great idea or not, if not I would look for other products like Sphagnum Moss or other commercial products made for this purpose to keep your terrarium humid through out the day.

I was also recommended to keep springtails in the substrate to eat organic matter. But I was told the terrarium works without springtails. But how often do you have to change/clean the terrarium without springtails? Does anyone use them in the substrate? Can they live in the coco husk even if the husk is not soaked but dry?

My terrarium is 45x45x60 cm (Exo Terra).

Brookesia and Spring-tails are more my brothers thing, someone else can chime in and chat with you.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom