Kidney Failure in Chameleons.

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
This was a pretty good one with some subtle signs I would not have looked for.
One of the things that can cause chameleons to stop eating and become weak is kidney failure. This disorder should be suspected in any chameleon that has two or more of the following signs: a lump just in front of its pelvis, inability to defecate (or pass eggs), fluid beneath the skin under its jaw or neck, dehydration even with plenty of water offered, a foul odor to its breath, swollen joints, bloodshot eyes, or white shiny deposits in the lining of its mouth.

Constipation and dystocia are due to the malfunctioning kidneys becoming so large that they physically obstruct the pelvic canal and prevent anything passing from the intestine or oviduct to the cloaca. All the other signs are due to the kidneys not filtering the blood as they should. Swollen joints, bloodshot eyes, and white deposits in the lining of the mouth are the result of crystals forming in the tissues and are signs of a very ill chameleon.

SO WHY DO CHAMELEONS SEEM SO PRONE TO KIDNEY FAILURE?

https://azeah.com/reptiles-amphibians-lizards/kidney-failure-chameleons

People talk over supplementing, and I agree, but shouldn't we speak specifics. Like which supplements may be hard on the kidneys? Bee pollen is a supplement. Maybe too much protein also?

People talk over supplementing, and I agree, but shouldn't we speak specifics. Like which supplements may be hard on the kidneys? Bee pollen is a supplement. Maybe too much protein also?

This is exactly my question. Is there a time to cut back ? Like would it be beneficial to skip all supplements for 2 weeks every 3 months or so ?

It is just a theory because the cure for anemia, and likely early kidney failure includes stopping supplements.

Would this allow Chams to "level out" ? Or would it just add to stress?

My personal concern is that my female gets outside time, open window when weather is nice. And I run a MV bulb. I would feel safe in saying she spends 4 to 5 hours a day in a UVI zone of 3, with the same in .5 - 2.0 UVI and the remainder in 0 UVI.

I am still following normal vitamin plan w/bee Pollen, but I fear in my case it my over due the D3.

Given that their bodies will stop producing D3 when "full" naturally from UVB, and we are supplementing this because in most cases they do not get enough UV.
So if I am giving enough UV in addition to wild food, should I cut back on D3? VitA?

These are the questions and concerns I have.

Regarding the d3, I know many montane keepers don't supplement it at all and just get their chams outside time. This was a big thing with parsons keepers I know. I have supplemented mine with d3, but very little and only in the winter when he can't go out.

Might not be apples to apples, but my dog has renal issues and is on a kidney support diet that contains less protein, sodium, and phosphorus, and increased omega-3 fatty acids. Makes me wonder if feeding insects higher in phosphorus like crickets long term could potentially be a cause.

Back
Top Bottom