Jackson's Horns/ Health Help

lemonwreck

sorry for being so lengthy....

So about a month and a half ago i was going into my local reptile store for my weekly mouse run when i noticed right by the front door was a medium sized exo-terra cage. This cage which usually housed giant day geckos now housed 3 baby jacksons and one male? sub adult. Now, i've worked with reptiles for the better part of15 years and i know 9 times out of 10 the requirements of captive animals. chameleons included. Obviously, the fact that 3 babies and a sub adult were in a fairly small cage in comparison to what 1 adult would actually need caught me by suprise. (my "feeder" supply are a local boa/python breeder store) I noticed that there was no uvb lamp, the "little dripper" was bone dry and to top it off the sub adult had all three of his? horns broken. *I say his? b/c i know that some females can have all three albeit underdeveloped horns, so i'm not sure if he's? a male with what were 3 large horns at a point in time that are now broken or a female with 3 underdeveloped horns that are broken. My "guy" said that he? got into a fight with another male and that they broke and that they'll grow back. So a few days ago i was doing my mouse run when i saw that he was still there. so i bought em. figure better with me as i already had a large mesh cage for my tokay and know how to properly take care of him?. So after about 4-5 days with me I've noticed that he? never gets as green as others i've seen and and he seems to only want to eat one adult cricket a day. I guess what im wondering is will his horns grow back? (not a big deal if they don't, all my animals are rescued misfits lol) and is his lack of coloring due to his improper housing and lighitng prior to me taking him home? what about his appetite? he poops normal. drinks from the drip i installed and eats one large cricket from my hand no less but no more than that. below is his pic attached. lemme know what yall think. thanks!!!

Your Chameleon - Sub adult Jackson's, with me for about a week. not entirely sure on sex due to broken horns
Handling - only to put him out side
Feeding - So far crickets, i plan on dusting only twice a month as i live in FL and he? spend most ofthe time outside so i have little need for most supplements
Supplements - Zoo med calcium with/without D3
Watering - Dual drip system as well as misting 2-3 times per day. yes he? drinks from the drip or spay bottle
Fecal Description - Solid dark/light poops. not runny or yellow.
History - read above novel. lol

Cage Info:
Cage Type - mesh 24x24x36
Lighting - natural sun light most of the time. when inside reptisun 5.0 with 75 watt light
Temperature - ambient temp im the room is 78. basking spot 80-85
Humidity - consistently 60-80
Plants - not yet. hibiscus within the week
Placement - in the reptile room. near a windown in a low traffic area.
Location - south florida

Current Problem - broken horns, coloring, appetite (only eats one large cricket per day)

ColorTouch.jpg

Most Jacksons are WC and come in with parasites. Parasites could cause him not to eat and also the rough condition of his horns. I would get a fecal on this guy and go from there.

He looks like a Xanth, and female xanths don't have horns, as far as I know. So he's definitely a male.

I'd get a fecal done on him, like Jastate suggested, and see where he is health wise. When I had a jackson's I remember he really didn't eat a lot, maybe one or two large crickets a day, and he maintained a good weight. So he was never a very hungry animal. Maybe yours is the same, but I'd take a fecal in just to make sure that it isn't something else.

He looks like a Xanth, and female xanths don't have horns, as far as I know. So he's definitely a male.

I'd get a fecal done on him, like Jastate suggested, and see where he is health wise. When I had a jackson's I remember he really didn't eat a lot, maybe one or two large crickets a day, and he maintained a good weight. So he was never a very hungry animal. Maybe yours is the same, but I'd take a fecal in just to make sure that it isn't something else.

Agreed. My Jackson male is just not a big eater. Even after deworming, vet visits. He gains weight, looks great but he just doesn't eat a lot. But a fecal is needed.
W/C or Farm Raised...parasites...parasites....
Good Luck with him!!!!!!:)

thanks guys. ima tech and already did a fecal yesterday. it was all good. i guess he's just not really a hungry guy or maybe he still hasnt acclimated entirely yet and his appetite will increase as he does. he doesn't look skinny i guess. i dunno. any thoughts on the horns??

Can you take a clear picture off his horns? I would imagine his horns will continue to grow out. If they were broken off I imagine the ends will stay like that they will just get longer. I've never had a Jackson with broken horns though.

thanks guys. ima tech and already did a fecal yesterday. it was all good. i guess he's just not really a hungry guy or maybe he still hasnt acclimated entirely yet and his appetite will increase as he does. he doesn't look skinny i guess. i dunno. any thoughts on the horns??

His horns will not "grow back" but as stated they will continue to grow :D His eating is normal, he's just "maintenence feeding". My female eats very sparingly now that she's older. Cute little guy! I'd also like to see more pics of his battle scars ;)

@jannb - no this isnt my first cham, i've been working with all herps for a long long time. i used to be one of the heads of animal care @ busch wildlife sanctuary in jupiter. mostly worked with the gators and the venemous snakes. sadly at my old animal shelter, some kid brought in a super sick panter that he had to give up. pretty sure it was MBD as he brought it in a 10 gallon with only a 40 watt dome light. i took him home but he wound up dying about a week or two later. oh and yea i'm in PSL lol. and thanks Solid and Action about the info on the horns here are some close up - he was in the back of the cage so it was kinda difficult. hope they help and thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20111207_185620.jpg
    IMG_20111207_185620.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20111207_185704.jpg
    IMG_20111207_185704.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 185
His horns will not "grow back" but as stated they will continue to grow :D His eating is normal, he's just "maintenence feeding". My female eats very sparingly now that she's older. Cute little guy! I'd also like to see more pics of his battle scars ;)

now that you mention it...the far top horn does kinda look like there's some new growth. hmmm. we can hope.

Back
Top Bottom