Jacksons chameleon not eating

Kevinith

I got a Jackson’s chameleon April 1st and he ate for the first week crickets right out of my hand and the ones I released in his cage and then after I fed him 2 Dubia roaches he just has stopped eating for the whole week. I have let crickets go in his cage, a tub with 6 dubia roaches, and hornworms loose on the trees and he only has ate one hornworm the whole time. Is there anything I can do. He seems normal sized I can’t even see his ribs or anything and his arms are kind of meaty but I don’t want this to go on any longer. His enclosure is outside and I’m in Southern California and he likes to bask is partial shade a lot. His enclosure is 4’ x 4’ x 2’. The coldest it has gotten is 50 degrees and he is always awake when the sun rises.

Are you making sure that the feeders are size appropriate?

The issue with hornworms being placed in the cage is they have a really strong grip. We tend to recommend hand feeding these here because if they hit one on a branch and it does not let go it can cause tongue issues.

Have you tried to hand feed again?

Can you post pics of the cham and the enclosures as well.

2DF2DDEB-70FA-4041-A29D-6D3BF88CAAE9.jpeg

It’s not the size at all as they easily fit in his mouth and are the same size I feed to my slightly smaller female veiled chameleon. I try to hand feed every day but he usually just stares at it for 3 minutes and moves away. The hornworm that he did eat was easily swept off the branch by his tongue.

What are the daytime and nighttime temps and humidity? It would also be good to know how hot his basking area gets in full sun.
Has he been tested for parasites?
How is his behavior otherwise? I understand that you've only had him for 2 weeks, but does his activity level seem to have changed at all?

What are the daytime and nighttime temps and humidity? It would also be good to know how hot his basking area gets in full sun.
Has he been tested for parasites?
How is his behavior otherwise? I understand that you've only had him for 2 weeks, but does his activity level seem to have changed at all?
Daytime temps range from 70-85 here with the humidity being 30-60% and the nighttime temps ranging from 50-58 and humidity ranging from 80-100%. His activity hasn’t changed as he is very active exploring the entirety of his cage and being is his basking spots for about 1-3 hours of the day. I would like to know where to get a parasite test and it is very hard to find his poop in the cage with me usually finding it like 2 days old and dry already. I think he might be snacking on the flies in his cage which is still not enough because they’re small but he just ignores the crickets and hornworms loose in the cage and the roaches in the tub.

Ok that's good. Getting a fecal sample is going to be a challenge with that cage but could be helpful. If he has a poop spot you can put some plastic wrap on the soil there and hopefully beat the insects to it. Wrap it in damp paper towel and plastic bag and refrigerate it until you can get it to your vet.

A fecal would be the best first step. My Jackson’s had stopped eating her crickets for about a week at one point, which sometimes happens with chams “hunger strikes”. During the second week I offered bsfl which she ignored and was finally hungry again when she had a few flies. So hopefully it’s just a little hunger strike and not parasites, but it’s always best to be safe and get checked.

A fecal would be the best first step. My Jackson’s had stopped eating her crickets for about a week at one point, which sometimes happens with chams “hunger strikes”. During the second week I offered bsfl which she ignored and was finally hungry again when she had a few flies. So hopefully it’s just a little hunger strike and not parasites, but it’s always best to be safe and get checked.
I hope he doesn’t have parasites but he has started eating again so it’s a much better sign. He got 3 crickets with his monthly multivitamin and some calcium covered crickets and a hornworm. Thank you guys for helping. B766034D-E55F-4DA9-9BCB-4B122FF87300.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom