It's DUBIA — Not DUBAI

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Disclaimer: If any errors of fact are found in the following, please point them out. If you have any additional information, please provide it.

I think most instances of folks saying DUBAI roaches instead of DUBIA roaches are most likely typos. I've probably done it myself, and it goes both ways; I've seen DUBIA used (elsewhere) when referring to DUBAI.

However, after reading this forum for several months, it seems apparent that there is also some confusion or misunderstanding about these two words. They are not the same at all, nor are they even remotely related.

The DUBIA in Dubia roaches comes from their taxonomical designation, Blaptica dubia. The name of the species derives from the Latin dubia, meaning doubtful, because of the then uncertain taxonomic status of the species. That was in 1838; apparently, it stuck.

Dubia roaches are tropical, and come from Central & South America.

1599664026108.png

Source: http://www.petreptilez.rs/vrste/Blaptica_eng.html?iframe=true&width=700&height=700

DUBAI is a city; the capital—and most populous city—of The United Arab Emirates (UAE), a country on the Arabian peninsula.

1599664274231.png

Source: http://ontheworldmap.com/uae/city/dubai/dubai-on-the-world-map.html

DUBIA roaches DO NOT come from DUBAI, nor are they native to that region. If there are any Dubia roaches in Dubai, they were probably imported as insect feeders.

Disclaimer: If any errors of fact are found in the following, please point them out. If you have any additional information, please provide it.

I think most instances of folks saying DUBAI roaches instead of DUBIA roaches are most likely typos. I've probably done it myself, and it goes both ways; I've seen DUBIA used (elsewhere) when referring to DUBAI.

However, after reading this forum for several months, it seems apparent that there is also some confusion or misunderstanding about these two words. They are not the same at all, nor are they even remotely related.

The DUBIA in Dubia roaches comes from their taxonomical designation, Blaptica dubia. The name of the species derives from the Latin dubia, meaning doubtful, because of the then uncertain taxonomic status of the species. That was in 1838; apparently, it stuck.

Dubia roaches are tropical, and come from Central & South America.

View attachment 276794
Source: http://www.petreptilez.rs/vrste/Blaptica_eng.html?iframe=true&width=700&height=700

DUBAI is a city; the capital—and most populous city—of The United Arab Emirates (UAE), a country on the Arabian peninsula.

View attachment 276796
Source: http://ontheworldmap.com/uae/city/dubai/dubai-on-the-world-map.html

DUBIA roaches DO NOT come from DUBAI, nor are they native to that region. If there are any Dubia roaches in Dubai, they were probably imported as insect feeders.
Roaches in Dubai?! Desert roaches! (Btw I’ve been to Dubai it’s super cool)

Yes, it is. Obviously autocorrect has never heard of dubia, urate, and several other words that reptile people use frequently. I often grow tired of correcting auto correct.
Mine recognizes urate; I added dubia. You can't add "dubia" to its dictionary?

The editor here doesn't correct it either, and the messages that persuaded me to post this suggested it wasn't just a typo. Next time I come across one, I'll try to remember to add it here.

Mine recognizes urate; I added dubia. You can't add "dubia" to its dictionary?

The editor here doesn't correct it either, and the messages that persuaded me to post this suggested it wasn't just a typo. Next time I come across one, I'll try to remember to add it here.
These autocorrect issues are most likely mobile users. I would be most people don’t mess with their phone’s spelling settings and just trust them to learn over time. Or most people just don’t care enough about it?

Well now I didn’t know We have a grammar police on the forum, I should tell my dyslexia to stop misspelling words b4 someone calls me out on my by grammar :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom