Isopod Starters

dlaunde

Established Member
I got a starter colony of Canyon Iso's and put them into my Bioactive setup last week (Wednesday I believe). How long does it usually take for them to "take hold" and become a stable CUC? Just checking on feces droppings, I haven't seen any activity of eating or anything of that sort. They have plenty of leaf litter and a good piece of hollow cork bark to hide in, so I'm not worried about them being eaten up by my veiled just yet.

Anything else I can do to help speed up their establishment period? Add another source of food? Etc?

Thanks!

They like bran and bran flakes. It took me almost 2 months before they really got going. I believe they have the same life cycle as a cricket, so about 5 weeks from birth till next round of eggs. Yer gonna get about 20 eggs per female. Also they like fresh leaves, not dry fall leaves. I also hear you can turbo charge them with a bit of rabbit/guinea pig food pellets.

Last edited:
Nothing makes canyons grow like protein IME. Dead roaches are favorites of mine, or dead anything really. My canyons that live alongside roaches in bins seem to grow and reproduce faster.

Thanks! There are plenty of fresh leaves (one layer of dried leaves then a good healthy layer of fresh Pothos leaves from the vines I didn't plant in my cage). And That's a good idea with the dead roaches James. I will toss a carcass in one a week.

Until they become established, should I be cleaning up any of the feces or dead stuff weekly? Or let it decompose naturally?

I'd just let it decompose, that will help jumpstart your soil bioactivity. Poop you can cover with some dirt or leaves if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom