Is yellow in the mouth normal? Kam yawned and freaked me out

LindsayG

Avid Member
Chameleon Info:Your Chameleon*- The species, sex, and age of your chameleon? -- Panther Chameleon, male, about 15 weeks old, named Kam Chancellor

How long has it been in your care? -- Since he was about 4 weeks old

Handling*- How often do you handle your chameleon? -- Not often. Maybe once every two weeks and only for 5 to 10 minutes tops.

Feeding*- What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? -- Kam is currently getting crickets as a staple since they're easiest to dust and he's been eating them since he was really little. He gets 15 - 20 in the morning. He also eats hornworms and super worms. He will get just a few of those added with his crickets but that's not daily. Sometimes one or two of each, sometimes one or the other. He has also had waxworms but those were mostly to get him to eat out of my hand. He is now fully comfortable eating those and hornworms from my fingers. I just started introducing dubia roaches but he's a little unsure of them. They are still sitting in the cup. Everything else roams his cage freely. I have repashy bug burger which I just started. I used to use some flukers stuff until I read on here its no good. The feeders also get carrots and spring mix and green beans and really whatever I have in my fridge. That's just what they have right now.

Supplements*- What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? -- I use repti calcium without d3 daily and then i alternate Sundays with calcium with d3 and multi vitamins both of which are flukers.

Watering*- What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? -- Currently I use a spray bottle to mist his cage. I do it after he eats and then when I get home. I soak the cage at least until I see him drink. He also has a dripper I fill up before I leave for the day.

Fecal Description*- Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? -- Kam makes nice big poops that look normal and white urates

History*- Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. -- none

Cage Info:Cage Type*- Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? -- He is still in his baby cage. It's a small zoomed all screen cage. Not sure the exact dimensions but it's the small size. My father will be building him his forever home which will be nice and big as soon as I figure out what I want. Perks of having a dad who'd been a cabinet maker for 30 years and who now owns his own arts woodworking business.

Lighting*- What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? -- He has I believe a repti sun 5.0 uvb bulb and a 100w heat bulb. Both come on at 730 am and off at 730 pm.

Temperature*- What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? -- The bottom of the cage Ranges from about 68-70, the middle is about 72-75, and his baski ng spot at the top is 78-82. I have a probe in the middle and an accurite humidity/ temp box at the bottom as well as a digital heat gun.

Humidity*- What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? -- The humidity at its lowest is 65 usually 70 and highest is 99, so says the accurite box.

Plants*- Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? -- I have a live pothos plant and also a live something else. The something else isn't doing so well so I just moved it to my window. I think it's called philodendron?

Placement*- Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? -- He is currently in my living room 3 feet from the floor. It's not the best location for him but once he gets his new home hell be in the dining room which doesn't see a lot of action. Also, no be a dies to give the stink eye from across the room. (He has two towels blocking views into the livingroom because of that. He can only see out the window and a white wall).

Location*- Where are you geographically located? -- The great northwest. Specifically Everett, Washington

Current Problem*- The current problem you are concerned about. -- I was snapping pics of him after he ate and he gapped for a moment and then yawned. I got a picture mid yawn and noticed he's got yellow stuff inside his mouth. I've never seen in there before so I'm not sure if that's just the color they come or if he's got some kind of, I don't know, infection or ickiness in there. I'm just worried about him now and need to know if he needs to see a vet. Also, does all the rest of the stuff look good as far as husbandry is concerned. I've really tried to do my research and give him the best home possible. He's a special boy and I love him very much.

Thanks all, especially to the ones that read the entire rant. :)

Attachments

• 20151028_093321.jpg
    20151028_093321.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 95
  • 20151028_093315-1.jpg
    20151028_093315-1.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 20151028_093311-1.jpg
    20151028_093311-1.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 107
Plants*- Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? -- I have a live pothos plant and also a live something else. The something else isn't doing so well so I just moved it to my window. I think it's called philodendron?

Some Philodendrons look similar to a Pothos but you do need to know, as they are somewhat toxic to ingest (if you have a cham who tends to chew on its plants).

Current Problem*- The current problem you are concerned about. -- I was snapping pics of him after he ate and he gapped for a moment and then yawned. I got a picture mid yawn and noticed he's got yellow stuff inside his mouth. I've never seen in there before so I'm not sure if that's just the color they come or if he's got some kind of, I don't know, infection or ickiness in there. I'm just worried about him now and need to know if he needs to see a vet. Also, does all the rest of the stuff look good as far as husbandry is concerned. I've really tried to do my research and give him the best home possible. He's a special boy and I love him very much.

The inside of many panthers' mouths is yellow. Maybe you are seeing the color change as he's getting closer to maturity.

Back
Top Bottom