Is this thing safe?

PDDM

So while shopping today I saw this plant, thought it looked cool, so I decided to buy it. I wanted to put it in with my Chameleon, but I know nothing of plants, I was given a list by someone on this forum yesterday but unfotunately all it says on this plant is: Tropical Foliage, anyone have any Idea as to what it is and if it is or isnt safe for the Cham?

lolzvb.jpg

Thanks!

that is not ficus.

I suspect Aucuba japonica`Crotonifolia' or Golden Laurel.
anybody care to agree or disagree?

Ahhh, I'm making this post to get rid of my satanic post number! :D If your not sure what that plant is, then it's best to be on the safe side. I would purchase a different plant.

Ahhh, I'm making this post to get rid of my satanic post number! :D If your not sure what that plant is, then it's best to be on the safe side. I would purchase a different plant.

Yea probably best that way, sucks that there wasnt a damn name or any info on the plant at all, just the temperatureto keep it at. It says " Most Plants prefer Medium Bright-Difused Light Keep Moderately Moist, Not Wet. 50-70 F. Maybe those temps can help determine whats up.

If it so happens to be the plant dodolah mentioned, is that particular type safe?

aucuba japonica contains minor toxicity. Diarrhea and vomiting might occur when ingested according to University of California: Davis
http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/ce/king/PoisPlant/Tox-COM.htm

Hmm, do Ambilobes typically eat leaves/plants, Ive heard a lot of people say that some plants are ok only if your chameleon doesnt have a tendancy for eating plants, does that mean plant eating is more of an indvidual thing or that there is a certain species more likely to eat plants.

Veilds like to eat plants, cant vouch for other species (ambilobes), sure somebodys panther here does. Not all veilds do either so your particular lizard may never eat it.
if your lizard has munched leaves before, i'd give it a miss, play it safe.
If not, and you use it, remove it if you notice bite marks. up to you.

If im not mistaken, eating plants generally occurs when food/water is scarce, Not likely in captivity, but possible. Chams seem to be curious critters.
If Dod's ID is correct and theres no dermal toxidity noted for the species, I dont see why not, but be vigilant.
:)

I'll eat a leaf, $1 a leaf.. I'll tell you if I feel bad after a couple minutes-hours. :D

LOl, money a little tight then? Id pay $2 a leaf just to see you eat them!
and $5 to hear your embarressed cries of discomfort through the bathroom door :D
Better take a good book in with you!

Syn the only problem is your not a reptile .Just because somthing is toxic to you doesn't make it toxic to reptiles.For the record pothos are mildly toxic but it doesn't seem to affect chams when they eat it.I have the plant in question and haven't had any problems. I also have what i think is called the octopus umbrella which some say isn't safe but my veilds seem to really enjoy eating it and i have never once had any problems.Just saying what maybe toxic to a mammal isn't automatically toxic to a reptile.

Ciafardo it was obviously a joke, anytime I'm completely serious, I don't often end my sentences with a :D.
Obviously some things that are hard on a reptile aren't going to have the same effect, like oranges and citrus (although it does give me terrible heartburn).

Back
Top Bottom