Is this poop ok??

MistyBlue

This is a picture of my approx 6 month old chameleons poop/urate. She is at the age where she is eating like crazy and since I could barely get her to eat at all the first 2 months I had her, I may over feed her. I read to give them all they can eat for 15 minutes twice a day. On this forum, though, I see that it is less. Her urate looks watery/and poop is more formed but they never used to be big and runny like this

Attachments

• 384E2C57-14D4-4F62-B94F-F7567F010B2F.jpeg
    384E2C57-14D4-4F62-B94F-F7567F010B2F.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DACC87F9-23C3-4824-93D0-77C9D20228C7.jpeg
    DACC87F9-23C3-4824-93D0-77C9D20228C7.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 42
I did have a parasite test done when I first got her beginning of April and it was negative then. I know this can change. Could this be a vitamin issue? Seems like the first time I saw it this way was after I gave her first dose of Zoo Meds Reptivite. I tried before (the twice a month) but could never get it to stick on crickets. The first time I actually did, it seemed like that is when the urates became runny like this one. She poops usually every other day or every 2 days.

Hi what are you feeding her ,what are you feeding your bugs , what supplements are you using and routine. Do you have pictures of her and her enclosure including lights. What is your humidity and how are you providing water

She eats primarily crickets. She eats about 10 crickets twice a day. Sometimes she will eat BSF once they hatch as a treat and roaches but primarily crickets. Dusted lightly once a day with calcium no d3 and twice a month with reptivite. She would probably eat 40 crickets a day if I would let her. Basking is around 82…. Spray enclosure about half an hour before lights on, also dripper cup throughout the day….and a glass of water on bottom cleaned changed daily. Gutload bugs with green/red peppers, apples, carrots, collard greens. Lights are on/off 12 hours but sometimes she wakes up early….I’ll find her awake waiting for her food by feeder. I did husbandry review with ms skittles when I first got her and she had an RI since I got her from the pet store that we ended up getting straightened up with Baytril. I believe my husbandry is ok but feeding amount is somethin I am a bit iffy about bc some say this and some say that. I was so happy that she finally went over to a feeder that worked and ate cricket after cricket bc she didn’t do it for the longest time! Thank you!

Hi what are you feeding her ,what are you feeding your bugs , what supplements are you using and routine. Do you have pictures of her and her enclosure including lights. What is your humidity and how are you providing water
Oh the humidity has been a bit of a problem during summer so far. I am able to keep it in the low 40s during the day with a dehumidifier. At night, it goes into the high 50s. Also, since this has been happening with the urate, the temps at night do not drop below 72 ish. Not sure if this could have anything to do with it.

The urates are not what I like to see either…but I can’t tell you how to correct it…sadly.
Yes, they used to not look like this. I just can’t figure out why, for the past month, they have been runny. This yellowish strange chunky look is newer.

It took me 3 fecal tests to have my boy come up positive for a parasite. Parasites don't always shed eggs so you need to catch them in a poop where they were shedding eggs.

Have you run a dripper to see if your little lady will drink? If she is dehydrated than she will rush to the dripper to drink most likley.

It took me 3 fecal tests to have my boy come up positive for a parasite. Parasites don't always shed eggs so you need to catch them in a poop where they were shedding eggs.

Have you run a dripper to see if your little lady will drink? If she is dehydrated than she will rush to the dripper to drink most likley.
Yes, I use a cup with holes in the bottom but I put it up on top of her cage a few hours a day. I can get another fecal done for her just to be sure. It seems like her poop looks ok just big….not runny like the urate. They both used to be perfect so I just can’t figure out what is going on. It is so hard figuring things out for these little creatures when something is off.

Oh the humidity has been a bit of a problem during summer so far. I am able to keep it in the low 40s during the day with a dehumidifier. At night, it goes into the high 50s. Also, since this has been happening with the urate, the temps at night do not drop below 72 ish. Not sure if this could have anything to do with it.
Can you talk to me about your hydration method? Fogging? Misting? When are you doing it?

The reason why I ask is there is something called over hydration. You can see this with fogging at night. The urate ends up being more liquid than form.

May I also see a few pics of your girl and of her set up lights down? I would adjust basking temp down to 78-80 and start reducing her food intake now if she is 6 months old. This will help control her clutch sizes.

Yes, I use a cup with holes in the bottom but I put it up on top of her cage a few hours a day. I can get another fecal done for her just to be sure. It seems like her poop looks ok just big….not runny like the urate. They both used to be perfect so I just can’t figure out what is going on. It is so hard figuring things out for these little creatures when something is off.
It really is.

Can you talk to me about your hydration method? Fogging? Misting? When are you doing it?

The reason why I ask is there is something called over hydration. You can see this with fogging at night. The urate ends up being more liquid than form.

May I also see a few pics of your girl and of her set up lights down? I would adjust basking temp down to 78-80 and start reducing her food intake now if she is 6 months old. This will help control her clutch sizes.
Sure. I have no fogger, I mist manually in the mornings about half an hour before lights on. I usually put a home made dripper for a couple of hours everyday. Mist half an hour after lights out. I only must for about a minute. I don’t ever see her drink. I also put the glass in a plant near the bottom and I left it bc I saw her dunk her head in it a time or two so I figured she liked it lol I change it daily. I am not home to get a pic but I will tomorrow. Also, I would like to get her temp lower, but her placement is like between the two rooms with air conditioners and I can’t put one in the window in that room. I leave the ceiling fan on, not too high, and I turn off her basking bulb for a few hours during the day to help. Also, what is the latest time you recommend feeding, so that they will have time to digest? And by how many do you recommend I cut down her food to? I keep wondering if she is starting to get eggs but her colors haven’t changed significantly to the golden lines but her tummy is a little pouchy down close to her tail. Lights 60 watt incadescent bulb and t5 5.0 tube.

Sure. I have no fogger, I mist manually in the mornings about half an hour before lights on. I usually put a home made dripper for a couple of hours everyday. Mist half an hour after lights out. I only must for about a minute. I don’t ever see her drink. I also put the glass in a plant near the bottom and I left it bc I saw her dunk her head in it a time or two so I figured she liked it lol I change it daily. I am not home to get a pic but I will tomorrow. Also, I would like to get her temp lower, but her placement is like between the two rooms with air conditioners and I can’t put one in the window in that room. I leave the ceiling fan on, not too high, and I turn off her basking bulb for a few hours during the day to help. Also, what is the latest time you recommend feeding, so that they will have time to digest? And by how many do you recommend I cut down her food to? I keep wondering if she is starting to get eggs but her colors haven’t changed significantly to the golden lines but her tummy is a little pouchy down close to her tail. Lights 60 watt incadescent bulb and t5 5.0 tube.
So if you could post pics when you can today of her and then the entire enclosure set up...

The dunking her head in water thing is concerning. Chams do not like to drink from standing water. When they do it is normally a sign that they are that desperate to drink.

Based on your hydration method the runny urate would not be due to over hydration

Back
Top Bottom