Is this LED okay for my cham?

akoester

This isnt a question about UVB or basking bulb, but a 3rd LED for plant growth. I already have a zoo-med T5 5.0 UVB, and Incandescent heating bulb in a dome. I got a cheap Walmart LED grow light to help the plants get a little extra light. I have been doing a bunch of research and although I feel like full spectrum LED is fine for chameleons, I was wondering if the one I got would be okay?

It has mostly white LED with some red (pictured)
The manual says its only 3000 CCT (didnt have anything about it on the outside of the box.)

Attached are an image of the LED light and the specs from the manual.
Link to grow light: Link

I know red light is bad at night, I plan to have the LED run with my basking light and UVB on a 12 hour timer. My main questions are, will this LED hurt my chameleon's eyes? Are the red lights bad during the day or okay with the white? Are the specs not good for my chameleon? Basically I am just worried that this cheap grow light will hurt my little guys eyes.

Attachments

• 20221224_174204-min.jpg
    20221224_174204-min.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221224_175004.jpg
    20221224_175004.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 59
Sorry I know the image of the specs is not the best after scaling it down. If you have any questions just let me know. Thank You All!

Hey there... The only thing I can tell you is that the specific fixtures that we buy and use with chameleons only have white light. Jungle dawn fixtures and sansi are two of the more common. I personally would not use one with red. I know even the fancy zoomed cage that has the red led lights people have said to only use the white light function.

Hey there... The only thing I can tell you is that the specific fixtures that we buy and use with chameleons only have white light. Jungle dawn fixtures and sansi are two of the more common. I personally would not use one with red. I know even the fancy zoomed cage that has the red led lights people have said to only use the white light function.
Alright thank you for your help! I will return it tomorrow and save up for one of the ones you recommend.

That is a "flowering" grow led. While its not going to hurt the cham, things will look "funky". "lizard lights" mimic light of equator noon summer sun. But there are plenty of other sun colors, you have morning and evening reds, and more bluish during winter/dry season. 6500k is just a center point.

If you want things to look really funky, get a pure grow led, then all your leaves will look black/purple, since the bulb would only put out light the leaves can absorb :p

If you have the XL cage does the Plant LED have to be 22” or can you get the 18”?

If you have the XL cage does the Plant LED have to be 22” or can you get the 18”?
If you are talking about the jungle dawn led bar you can put an 18 inch on a 24 inch cage. Just center the fixture on top.

Back
Top Bottom