Is this a bruise?

Sky11

Is this a bruise? It showed up about a month ago after he was screen climbing on the top of the enclosure and he fell on his basking branch pretty hard. This is a picture a couple days after I first noticed it on April 7th

Attachments

• C34D835D-3421-4468-A2FF-33DCF910E3F6.jpeg
    C34D835D-3421-4468-A2FF-33DCF910E3F6.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 84
It looks like a bruise. It could also be a fungus infection...but if it is it will grow in size. Has it grown?

It looks like a bruise. It could also be a fungus infection...but if it is it will grow in size. Has it grown?
That’s what I’ve been wondering too I can’t really tell the first picture was on April 7th and the second picture was April 29th. What can cause a fungus to start on a Cham?

Or maybe a burn? I have the heat bulb raised off the screen with some wood blocks so I didn’t think that would happen even if he climbed the screen top

It could be a burn. You can test the light to see if it could burn him by placing your hand, palm side up under the screen as close as possible to the light inside the cage. If you want to move your hand then it's likely going to burn him.

Some fungal infections are passed by contact and some can pass through the air. If it's fungal it will have spread. If it's a bruise or burn it won't have spread in the month or so since you first noticed it.

Some fungal infections are passed by contact and some can pass through the air. If it's fungal it will have spread. If it's a bruise or burn it won't have spread in the month or so since you first noticed it.
It doesn't seem too hot when I put my hand under the light where he sits. I feel like it's not spreading but I'm not sure the pictures I have from when it first appeared look similar to what it looks like now I feel like and he also shed in between I don't know if that could make a difference

how long has it been there, and does it fade at all sometimes? i know cham’s to get these dark spots when they are stressed or unhappy in any way, which is completely normal. if this were the case s/he would have possible a few more spots and they come and go.

how long has it been there, and does it fade at all sometimes? i know cham’s to get these dark spots when they are stressed or unhappy in any way, which is completely normal. if this were the case s/he would have possible a few more spots and they come and go.
No this is something different. Most likely a fungal infection

You need to take him to a reptile vet... They will have to prescribe the med if it is in fact fungal.
He does not let me handle him at all yet so do you have any tips on how I would take him to a vet as in like even getting him out of his enclosure? I have a few options for exotic vets near me so that’s not a problem

He does not let me handle him at all yet so do you have any tips on how I would take him to a vet as in like even getting him out of his enclosure? I have a few options for exotic vets near me so that’s not a problem
You could try placing a temporary branch in and moving him to a container using that. When we took our little one to the vet we used a 5 gallon bucket with a plant and some branches. Does he have a favorite insect to consume? I've been working on having Ivy come to me by luring her onto one hand with a hornworm while I hold the worm in my other hand. This way she is rewarded when I handle her.

Worst case scenario if you've tried everything else and still can't get him to come to you, you can just be gentle and take him out. Your chameleon needs to be seen by a vet. It's going to be a stressful experience either way, but it's important to take him so whatever he's got doesn't get worse.

Back
Top Bottom