Is she looking healthy

system92

Chameleon Info:

My Chameleon - Name: Mara. 3yo Female Veiled Chameleon. I have it since she was a little baby.
Handling - My girl used to handle her almost daily, haven't from about a month
Feeding - I usually feed 5-7 Crickets a day, but my pet store ran out of them last time, so now i have mealworms and dubia roaches. I gutload crickets fit Fluker's Orange Cubes and they always have Flucker's Calcium Fortified Gel-Water. Current mealworms didn't eat the cubes so i gave them dog food
Supplements - ZooMed Calcium+D3 and ExoTerra Multivitamin, Two coated feeders a day
Watering - I have a Mistking Starter kit, with an extra Nozzle and the schedule is
01:00am - 30s
05:00am - 30s
08:00am - 30s
10:30am - 1m
01:00pm - 4m
03:30pm - 1m
06:00pm - 30s
09:00pm - 30s
And I do see her drinking
Fecal Description - Black and White, Solid consistency, looks healthy. Chameleon never tested for parasites.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 1'11" x 1'11" base x 3'7" height Glass left and back walls, right, front and top screen walls.
Lighting - Exo Terra Reptile UVB100 (Former Repti Glo 5.0 compact), and for heat 50w, 65w or 100w heat lamps depending on the day temperature on daytime since sunrise till about 1 hour before sunset, and 50w or no heat for nighttime
Temperature - around 80 F for day and around 65, measure with ZooMed Digital Thermometer (currently ran out of batteries)
Humidity - around 70% measured with ZooMed Humidity monitor and I use mistking mentioned above.
Plants - It has a tree, Currently with no leaves and some kind of vine, the rest is artificial plants
Placement - behind my couch, no traffic, and no windows or vents close, top of the cage is 4 feet from the floor
Location - Baja California, about 100miles from California

Current Problem -
About two months back then she only had the tree with no leaves and the small vine plant, and used to keep humidity manually misting water, which was hard because i study and work. was feeding crickets with calcium+d3 only, and she wasn't noticeably looking bad, I left for about a week for a school trip and she stayed with my mom, but she didn't mist her as i told her nor feed her.
When I got back she was looking really bad, could hardly climb, couldn't get her tongue out, had her eyes sometimes closed during daytime and was really skinny.
So i ordered the mistking, and got her some artificial plants, multivitamins, and stuff to gutload crickets, she is looking so much better now.

Do you think she looks healthy now? is she too small for her age?
here is a video
http://youtu.be/ObTkhm70Pn8
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ObTkhm70Pn8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mara002_zps78c1be63.jpg

mara003_zps3461f5fd.jpg

Last edited:
I think your supplements are off. Should be calcium without D3 every feeding and calcium with D3 twice & multivitamins twice a month. Does she get any natural light?

Ill have to get calcium without d3 then. I was told by the reptile shop to give her the vitamins like that as she was looking really bad, but i think she looks better now, any opinion on her health from the video or pictures?

and she doesent gets direct sunlight, but i could take her out maybe daily for a while

It worries me to see her spine protruding like it is. Make sure to correct her supplements and try and get her outside some. Get a variety of feeders in her system. Start with silkworms first. Then get her some hornedworms, mantids, roaches, superworms, moths, bees (minus stinger), etc... The silkworms and hornedworms with also help with hydration. To answer your question of rebound, she does look like she is in recovery mode of sorts. It his hard to say definitively without seeing her before and after. But, since you asked the question twice, and obviously feel bad about the situation and are looking for some support, I would say yes she probably is doing better. Given the details you have provided. If she continues a decline or if you can afford it, a vet visit would be helpful.

I will correct her supplements and start taking her out immediately, as for feeders i will try my best to get her more variety, I buy lots of crickets each time I go to USA, because feeders are hard to get and double the price here in Mexico.
As for before... she could t get her tongue out an inch, so she is much better, and I'm glad to hear she looks good, thanks a lot guys

Hi, sunken cheeks, visible veins at the base of the tail, sunken casque, over all appearance...She is dehydrated plus malnourished. She is either bloated with air or she is gravid. I suggest a laying bin ASAP. With her being as malnurished as she is. I fear she may not pass the eggs.

Please read this and change what needs to change in your care. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Hi, sunken cheeks, visible veins at the base of the tail, sunken casque, over all appearance...She is dehydrated plus malnourished. She is either bloated with air or she is gravid. I suggest a laying bin ASAP. With her being as malnurished as she is. I fear she may not pass the eggs.

Please read this and change what needs to change in your care. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Just got back from the vet, he touched her and say he didn't felt anything, but got an x-ray anyway, hand he told me she doesn't have eggs, but he did told me she was dehydrated.

here are the x rays

view_zps35416448.jpg

latview_zps84f89247.jpg

Back
Top Bottom