Is she gravid?

zqblondie

My female veiled chameleon (about 8 months old)recently changed colors and is not eating as much.
In the last few days she has turned a lighter shade of green with a few big spots and lots of little spots on her legs. She hasnt really been restless, more like just staying in one spot and basking. She looks healthy, and is a little bigger in the belly area, but not quite full of eggs looking.

Does this sound like she might be getting gravid? if so, how long do we have to get her a proper egg laying environment?

Gravid girls

My gravid females will eat as much as you give them for about 3 1/2 weeks then the last week just prior to depositing the eggs they will stop eating completely. They usually will sit in the general area around their basking spot until the forth week. Then they will go down to the lower part of the cage and wander around. Then when it's time they will go all the way to the bottom and try to dig in anything. If you see her on the bottom be sure you give her some dirt or mud to deposit her eggs in. Sometimes this will not meet her requirements and she'll dig a few holes but not deposit her eggs. She will probably need to be removed from the enclosure and be put into a more suitable egg laying site.

Here is a pic of a female veiled that I had to put a barrier around the pot of dirt because she would not deposit her eggs. Thankfully this worked and she laid them in a few hours after putting her in there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom