Is my veiled chameleon needing to lay eggs?

hblack29

Hello!
So when I bought my veiled chameleon Sage in June 2021 I was told it was a male(this is my first chameleon) Sage was only the size of my index finger at the time. Things have been going pretty well and Sage seems happy.

Well about a month ago Sage started looking a but puffy and I thought maybe it was stress because there was some stuff going on, so I made sure to keep everything really in check for it’s care. There were times Sage wouldn’t eat and that worried me, and I was worried about dehydration so I would spray a bit more. Sages urites were still white but a bit loose. I finally found a vet to see Sage but they can’t get me in until 12/16.

After doing research I’m thinking Sage is actually a female and potentially needing to lay eggs but I’m not sure. Sage eats now but it is less than before and Sage still explores and moves around the cage throughout the day but Sage is looking fat to say the least. To be safe I have put in a laying box with sand that can retain a tunnel shape but Sage is not very interested in it. I will include a photo of Sage taken today. Any insight is greatly appreciated. I care for Sage so much I just want to keep them safe and happy.

Attachments

• C628EE47-9375-4240-AF9E-B65BA7725A77.jpeg
    C628EE47-9375-4240-AF9E-B65BA7725A77.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 74
Welcome to the forum!

Does the cage have real plants in it? Can you post some photos of the whole cage please ...lights included.

How much do you feed her in a week?

How long has she had the goldfish markings on her?

Welcome to the forum!

Does the cage have real plants in it? Can you post some photos of the whole cage please ...lights included.

How much do you feed her in a week?

How long has she had the goldfish markings on her?

Thank you so very much for your reply!!!

The cage has one larger real plant in it which has long branches, I also have some larger pieces of smooth wood, plus there’s plastic plants as well plus a vine thing that has real moss on it. The lights I have a long bar for uvb plus a heat light and a grow light for the plant because there’s not enough sunlight for the plant.
I usually feed her daily and it varies between 3-5 crickets that I gutload with a mix of sweet potato, dandelion greens, an apple, an orange, carrots that’s all blended then frozen and I give the crickets fresh cubes every day. She absolutely will not eat Dubia roaches no matter how hard I try. I dust the crock with no D calcium and twice a month calcium with LoD. Occasionally she won’t eat so I don’t force her but by the next day she’ll eat again.

As for the gold spots those started at the end of October but were faint now they are really vibrant.

Attachments

• A88B6A9E-13FD-47F3-A0E7-106FA16F1190.jpeg
    A88B6A9E-13FD-47F3-A0E7-106FA16F1190.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 65
I would definitely get rid of all the fake plants and get more real ones. I'd get rid of the moss too...even though it looks good. Veiled chameleons will eat plants and may tryntomeat things it shouldn't and end up impacted.

How big is the pot with the real plant in it? Could she have been able to dig a hole in the soil if she had wanted to?

Your feeding is low enough that if she does lay a clutch it shouldn't be a huge one!

I would definitely get rid of all the fake plants and get more real ones. I'd get rid of the moss too...even though it looks good. Veiled chameleons will eat plants and may tryntomeat things it shouldn't and end up impacted.

How big is the pot with the real plant in it? Could she have been able to dig a hole in the soil if she had wanted to?

Your feeding is low enough that if she does lay a clutch it shouldn't be a huge one!
Thank you for this advice! I’ll definitely start to take out the fake plants and get a new environment with her.

The potted plant is in like a gallon sized ceramic pot, it’s deep but not very wide. I did add a 12x10 inch tub to her enclosure that is filled with clean moist sand that holds its shape when I make a tunnel through it.

I’ve just been so worried about her! I only discovered the possibility that Sage was a girl on Monday after doing other research so I’ve been afraid of potential egg binding, but Sage is still pretty active and eats in the morning.

I know this may be too much to ask, but based off the photo does there look to be anything wrong with her that I should keep an eye on? I will be taking her to the vet on 12/16 but until then I’ve just been on edge trying to make sure she stays safe.

She's beautiful and I love the name sage! Great that you have a vet visit coming up. Save a fresh poop sample to get a fecal test done for parasites at the vet.

In addition to switching to live plants and getting rid of moss, you'll want to get rid of that mesh net. They are good for bearded dragons but not Chameleons - they can get their nails caught in the material and rip them out.

She looks healthy to me but post more pics of her and we can give her a closer look see.

Have you done a full husbandry review with us? You can answer the questions listed in the How to Ask for Help thread and we'll give you feedback.

She's beautiful and I love the name sage! Great that you have a vet visit coming up. Save a fresh poop sample to get a fecal test done for parasites at the vet.

In addition to switching to live plants and getting rid of moss, you'll want to get rid of that mesh net. They are good for bearded dragons but not Chameleons - they can get their nails caught in the material and rip them out.

She looks healthy to me but post more pics of her and we can give her a closer look see.

Have you done a full husbandry review with us? You can answer the questions listed in the How to Ask for Help thread and we'll give you feedback.
Thank you so very much for your feedback. I’m most certainly going to make changes you and others have suggested. Also thank you for mentioning to bring a poop sample to get tested when I go to the vet.

I’ll include some photos of her from this morning. She just ate breakfast and had her morning misting but my goodness I just think she’s such a cutie!

Attachments

• 6F84DCBC-CA2B-44B7-8B6C-FF0D61AC719D.jpeg
    6F84DCBC-CA2B-44B7-8B6C-FF0D61AC719D.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 61
  • EC928934-CD12-40FE-B595-06BCBFD52335.jpeg
    EC928934-CD12-40FE-B595-06BCBFD52335.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 61
Thank you so very much for your feedback. I’m most certainly going to make changes you and others have suggested. Also thank you for mentioning to bring a poop sample to get tested when I go to the vet.

I’ll include some photos of her from this morning. She just ate breakfast and had her morning misting but my goodness I just think she’s such a cutie!
She is a serious cutie!!! You should enter photos in the photo contest of her. For the fecal you can put it in a baggie in the fridge until your appointment. But freshest is best. Just set a reminder to not forget on your way in. :)

She is a serious cutie!!! You should enter photos in the photo contest of her. For the fecal you can put it in a baggie in the fridge until your appointment. But freshest is best. Just set a reminder to not forget on your way in. :)
Thank you so very much for all your insight and advice! My heart is filled joy at the support from you all! Thank you again so much!🖤

Back
Top Bottom