Is my chameleons growth stunted?

TroyButler

I have a veiled chameleon I about about a year ago from flchams I forget how old he was when I bought him but I’m pretty sure he was 4-6 months. This is my very first chameleon and everything seems fine with him however he is growing very slow if at all at this point. I think I’m doing everything right. He is probably a little over a year old but still relatively small.

He was just upgraded to a 24x24x48 I use a house bulb as a basking light and a linear uvb (Zilla) I feed him dusted (without d3) Dubia roaches every other day and with d3 or Reptivitamin alternate sundays. He eats about 5-6 small to medium sized roaches in a setting.
Is there anything I’m missing or does growth vary from chameleon to chameleon I’ve always heard they grow pretty fast. Also I might add that he hasn’t shed in 2 or 3 months, or I haven’t seen him shed.
EDB34DFA-C856-4382-873D-0CDB66D5162C.jpeg
D376106A-B548-4853-B7D2-F1CF37A0FEB1.jpeg
E4DA3457-E8AC-4F1D-81EF-90439AE3F660.jpeg
222E3806-97CA-4CFA-84E5-2B991EF665CB.jpeg

I have a veiled chameleon I about about a year ago from flchams I forget how old he was when I bought him but I’m pretty sure he was 4-6 months. This is my very first chameleon and everything seems fine with him however he is growing very slow if at all at this point. I think I’m doing everything right. He is probably a little over a year old but still relatively small.

He was just upgraded to a 24x24x48 I use a house bulb as a basking light and a linear uvb (Zilla) I feed him dusted (without d3) Dubia roaches every other day and with d3 or Reptivitamin alternate sundays. He eats about 5-6 small to medium sized roaches in a setting.
Is there anything I’m missing or does growth vary from chameleon to chameleon I’ve always heard they grow pretty fast. Also I might add that he hasn’t shed in 2 or 3 months, or I haven’t seen him shed.
View attachment 295262View attachment 295263View attachment 295264View attachment 295265
There is a type of parasite that can stunt growth. I’m pretty sure it’s called coccidia, have you ever had a fecal done? Also no fake plants in a veiled cage only live plants. The vines you have look like exo terra ones, I’d take them out their coating comes off and it can get in your chams eyes. There are a couple more things wrong with your husbandry that I can see, so if you could please fill this out I’d be great!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited:
I don’t know too much about the growth being affected but I’ve heard that getting good UV had helped instigate a shed, but they will shed less often as they grow anyway. The Zilla brand uv was one of the bulbs I had when I first joined the forums and was advised to get a Reptisun or Arcadia linear t5HO (24-36 inches long) and my chameleon started her shed within a week of the upgrade.

View attachment 295262View attachment 295263View attachment 295264View attachment 295265
What do you think his length is tip of nose to his vent or total length tip of nose to end of tail?

What strength uvb bulb do you have and is it a T8 or a T5HO fixture? what is the measured distance to the branches below it? I want to make sure he is getting enough UVB and yours looks like the distance is a bit far to the branches below.

I would get a fecal done to ensure there is not a parasite issue. Some parasites cause them not to grow as much as they could. Because of where you bought him I would be concerned about this possibility.

Also was wondering if that poster behind the cage is causing any stress? I wouldn’t be able to say for sure but when chameleons are housed together the less dominant one will not grow as well as the dominant one and it could just be that they get less food but I would think that the constant stress may also be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom