Is my Cham healthy??

Hi guys! I just got my veiled chameleon this past weekend. He is a male, and I was told he is a sub adult (6-12 months). I currently feed him about 5 crickets a day. (I will be expanding that diet soon!). Does he look healthy to you all? Am I feeding him the right amount?
I have been supplementing with phosphorus free Calcium without D3 every day, and I will do Calcium with D3 or a multivitamin every other week (Calcium w D3 one Friday, Multivitamin the next Friday, etc...).
I would appreciate any advice :).
37782BD3-EF6D-4C3E-BF24-B3644C916B6E.jpeg

Attachments

• 8ED9DC9E-066E-43B4-A5A8-DC6BAD2F009C.jpeg
    8ED9DC9E-066E-43B4-A5A8-DC6BAD2F009C.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 2F13235F-1C71-4882-B1CA-C2A28E4ABFE3.jpeg
    2F13235F-1C71-4882-B1CA-C2A28E4ABFE3.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 9119C3E7-88B4-4D33-9D12-1F7D09473273.jpeg
    9119C3E7-88B4-4D33-9D12-1F7D09473273.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 105
  • BA2C002F-EE07-4E32-9BCF-F856E6768667.jpeg
    BA2C002F-EE07-4E32-9BCF-F856E6768667.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 97
Can you fill this out and post it back here so we can be surr you are doing everything fine?😁

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

He looks a wee bit skinny. And that veil has a mean curve to it, thats normally a sign of not so good calcium/d3, but it "may" be genetic.

Can you fill this out and post it back here so we can be surr you are doing everything fine?😁

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Yes of course! I’ve seen people use this but I couldn’t find where to fill it out haha :).
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, Male, ~6-8 months (what I was told), 9 days!
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only once to put him in the cage when we got home.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets and Dubia roaches currently, about 4 crickets and 2 Dubias daily. I feed him once around 9am. I am currently feeding the insects sweet potato, romaine and a small amount of kale, in addition to a small amount of the Flukers calcium gut loading flakes. I also use a jelly substance (also Flukers I think) to hydrate.
  • Supplements - What brands and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti Calcium without D3 daily. I will be using the Repti Calcium without D3 bi-weekly and Rep Cal Herptivite the opposite bi-weekly weeks (is Beta Carotene ok instead of Preformed Vit A??).
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a mister and a drip system. I also mist the cage down so that there are water droplets on the leaves a few times a day (~3 times). I have not seen him drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His feces and urate look normal to me. They are normal shape/size. His urates are completely white from what I’ve seen. Maybe they look a little dry. He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I unfortunately don’t know much about his upbringing, but I do know he lived in an enclosure not appropriate for him for about a month before I got him. The enclosure was about 1’x1’x1’ and didn’t have proper airflow or humidity or coverage to hide in :((. He didn’t look happy. I do know that the pet place was using calcium (or so they said) daily, and was feeding 10 crickets daily. They said he was a sub adult though, so that seemed like too much.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2’x2’x4’ , it is screen and I have two sides covered on the outside with garbage bags to help keep out cold drafts and to keep in humidity.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I do not remember the brands :/. I use a T5 5.0 UVB that is long, not a compact one. I use a 120 watt heat bulb I believe. I have both on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Measuring temp has been difficult. The room is typically low or mid 70s. The top of his cage is usually upper 70s, with the basking spot at 85 degrees. At night, it is typically around 65 degrees. Sometimes I wake up and it’s warmer though (I’ve been trying to keep a good drop in temp at night for him). I use a thermometer/ humidity gage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? It’s usually around 40-50 %. I use a mister. I measure with a thermometer/ humidity gage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I just replaced my plastic plants, as I learned he can eat them (I did do my research, but the lady at the pet store said it was fine). I replaced them with pathos plants. There are still two vines with silk plants on them. He has less places to hide up top now, but still a lot of coverage. It still takes me a minute or two to find him. This change stressed him out I think, but it will hopefully not impact him too much and will just help in the long run!
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my room, so no traffic except me occasionally at night to sleep and in the morning getting ready. It is near a window, but I sealed it with a garbage bag to prevent any drafts. He is about 6 feet above the ground at the top of the cage. It is a 4 foot cage and he sits on a table that is about 2-3 feet high.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? PA

I want to get advice as to how healthy he looks or what I can do to help improve his health. He did not come from a great habitat, so I want to help care for him best I can.

THANK you all so much!

Back
Top Bottom