Is it normal to eat his on shed?

kianna2118

My cham just sheded and i clean his cage but i guess i miss one shedding piece. I was looking at him till i notice he was eating his own shedding. Is it safe for him to do that? Is that normal? Just would like some answer thanks. I do feed my cham i just put 7 crickets for him to eat as of today . I'm thinking he thought they were silkworms cuz i ran out and waiting for more for the mail.

They are known to eat their skin after they shed it. Some do and some don't. I wouldn't worry about it.

They do sometimes eat their shed, but not usually as much as geckos do. When Amy was little, I watched her go down to a lower branch and zap her shed off the floor, lol!:D She's never done it since though!

Last edited:
Quite normal and harmless, many species do so. not yet noticed my veiled doing it though. Very very common in geckos. Interestingly, I once witness a snake (captive) devour its fresh shed, though I suspect it was underfed and hungry.
Many lizards do so as a matter of course, it's not clear to me if its intentional for nutrition or more to disuade predators by limiting their scent, and not leaving indicators of their prescence.
:)

Glad you asked this question

My Male Veiled Stewie did this today!!! glad to know it is acceptable behavoir, lol ;)

Very normal......

It's very normal....I have a group of three week old Veiled babies housed in a tub. They started doing their first sheds. They snatch the shed off each other as it separates and hangs off in pieces. I don't think it was due to hunger as they still had some crickets in their cage. I think they like the taste and know by instinct that it has some nutrition in it.

Back
Top Bottom