Is he healthy ??

Lauren_andrade

My cham actually ate a super worm out of my hand today . This is day 5 of him not really eating. Yesterday he ate 2 and has shown no interest in the crickets. Any suggestions on what to do ?

Attachments

• 793B6C33-A319-4EAA-B645-69490C3F182D.jpeg
    793B6C33-A319-4EAA-B645-69490C3F182D.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 2DED45F7-8B87-4AAD-A6A7-99EA33E2A516.jpeg
    2DED45F7-8B87-4AAD-A6A7-99EA33E2A516.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 32
He looks good! So cute 🥰. Usually, when you first get a chameleon they will not eat for a few days. Maybe stop handling and see what happens. It's best to begin handling a few weeks after you get the chameleon, or after they feed from your hand.

He looks good! So cute 🥰. Usually, when you first get a chameleon they will not eat for a few days. Maybe stop handling and see what happens. It's best to begin handling a few weeks after you get the chameleon, or after they feed from your hand.

Thank you , it’s been 2 1/5 weeks now. This is my first time holding him. I actually have been having an issue. He’s been eating super well up until these last 5 days. He didn’t eat at all for 3 and has only ate 3 worms in the span of two days . I think it’s the enclosure so I’m going to fix that problem tomorrow .

He’s beautiful! I agree, he needs some time to acclimate to his new surroundings Without being handled. Give him some time and just leave him be and you’ll, see he’ll start eating
He’s beautiful! I agree, he needs some time to acclimate to his new surroundings Without being handled. Give him some time and just leave him be and you’ll, see he’ll start eating.

I’ve had him for 3 weeks now and these last 5 days he’s barley ate at all . He use to be a little monster for food but now he just won’t eat. I spoke to someone and they believe it might be the enclosure so I’m going to try and fix that problem tomorrow .

Could you please post some hoots of the cage including the lights for us?
Also, could you answer the questions in this thread....be specific about tour answers...especially about the D3 prEformed vitamin A, phos and calcium in the supplements and the lighting...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

He’s a veiled chameleon, male and his age is somewhat unknown since the breeder just claims he’s under a year old . I handled him for the first time today, I’ve had him for 3 weeks now. I feed him superworms and crickets . 4-5 days ago he was eating about 14-18 crickets a day and occasionally a worm. He’s only ate 3 superworms in 4 days . As for the crickets I feed them fruits / veggies and also the cricket cubes for water and food. I normally just mist his enclosure with the spray bottle I have 3-4 times a day since i never see him drink . Also his skins been very dry . I have a big dripper that I only use bottled water with. His poo normally I don’t see it much but when I do it is white with black. There’s a lot of white spots around the branches so I’m guessing that’s what that is. He’s always been a warrior/ feisty little thing but now he’s very timid .

The cage sucks , I’ll attach a picture . The breeder told me it would be a good enclosure for a little cham and after I did my research I realized how much better he needed. I use the lighting that’s inside the kit for him since I read it’s what he needed but I was wrong . I have pathos in his enclosure but he doesn’t really like it at all. The branch were he basks I believe May be way to close to the light considering he open his mouth as he basks. I live in south florida .

I’m planning on heading to Home Depot tomorrow and finding all the supplies to build him a screen enclosure. Moneys also tight right now for me since I’m 7 months pregnant .

Attachments

• 6AFCA7DF-5A4A-4D68-A75C-78859B94A433.jpeg
    6AFCA7DF-5A4A-4D68-A75C-78859B94A433.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 35
The enclosure involves,
  • 30-gallon vertical glass terrarium with open front door
  • Mesh screen lid
  • 60-watt daytime blue heat bulb
  • 13-watt tropical UVB bulb
  • Two 5.5 in deep dome lamps
  • Thermometer/Hygrometer combo
  • Compressed coconut fiber
  • Tropical cling background
  • Twisted leafy vine
  • Suction cup food and water dish

As for calcium I use d3 but that’s it. I forgot to add I bought a reptirain mister but I haven’t installed it probably since my enclosure is so small it sprays too harshly. I’m very much a newb, I’m ashamed

The enclosure involves,
  • Mesh screen lid
  • Twisted leafy vine

As for calcium I use d3 but that’s it. I forgot to add I bought a reptirain mister but I haven’t installed it probably since my enclosure is so small it sprays too harshly. I’m very much a newb, I’m ashamed
So for an enclosure you’ll want a 24” x 24” x 48” tall screen enclosure

Coloured lights are not recommended. Regular incandescent bulbs work best

You’ll need a T5ho linear uvb bulb and fixture. Compact bulbs do not put out enough uvb.

Is the thermometer/hygrometer digital or analog? Analog meters are not accurate enough, you need a basking temperature of 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Unless you are doing a fully bioactive enclosure, substrate is not recommended.

Any fake plants are an impaction risk, it is best to remove anything he could take a bite of.

The food/water dish is most likely useless, unless it is deep enough to be a feeding cup. As chameleons do not drink from standing water, water dishes only serve to grow bacteria.

For supplements, you should be using a d3-free calcium every feeding, and a multivitamin with d3 every other week. Over-supplementation is as dangerous as under.

There is no need to be ashamed, many of us made similar mistakes, and there is a lot of incorrect information out there. It sounds like you were doing what your breeder told you was good, which shows you care. Hopefully you are able to make the proper corrections, and help your little guy live a long and happy life.

Often you can find gently used enclosures and other items on FaceBook marketplace or Craig’sList. You’d just need to give everything a thorough cleaning/sanitizing. For plants, pothos is awesome and can get new plants started so easy from clippings rooted a bit in water. Philodendron is very similar and also can be used.

The enclosure involves,
  • Mesh screen lid
  • Twisted leafy vine

Don’t be ashamed. We’ve all been there!

I started out just like you with the store recommended ”chameleon kit” which is so wrong! I came here and everyone was great helping me with all the info I needed. No need to feel ashamed. We’ve all been there! I can tell you love your little guy and are trying very hard to do right by him. Just ask all the questions you need to and someone will answer them for you.😊

Oh and be sure to get either a reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb to go n your t5ho fixture. Either of those bulbs will give him the uvb he needs. Place his basking branch 8-9 inches below it.

Back
Top Bottom