injured chameleon

cuillan

Hi I just bought a yemen veiled chameleon, he is 5 months old and my first chameleon. He seems to have a leg injury his front elbow and forearm are thicker than on the other side, and the scales on the elbow have gone leaving it smooth although the scales seem to be bunched up in the middle, and the smooth part is also red looking. There are also strange white spots on his back and head which dont look like normal colouring to me, I dont know if anyone has any ideas. He wasnt being kept in the best conditions before I got him a week ago.

Attachments

• DSC00015small.JPG
    DSC00015small.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC00020small.JPG
    DSC00020small.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC00017small.JPG
    DSC00017small.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 227
scales in the middle are fine,it's normal for them to be like that.
the arm tho doesn't look too good.could be a beginning of mbd

The skin discoloration on the elbow I could possibly dismiss as an old injury that is still healing.

The white discoloration on his back and head could be the beginning of a shed. On the pictures, it doesn't look like anything suspicious to me. It could possibly be remnants of a burn, but it looks like it's over a very small area, so I don't think it is that really.

The deformity in the arm is definitely something I would take to a vet though. I would wager he's had an arm injury that did not heal well. His other arms don't look broken though, I'm hoping it isn't MDB. When he walks on a flat surface, does he hold his body up off the ground and keep his tail pointed out straight behind him?

Thank you for rescuing this chameleon and seeking help! If only his previous owner would have been so considerate! Make sure you give him good supplements!

I would take him to a vet. It doesn't look to serious at the moment, but it could be worse. I predict that this chameleon is going to be a good looking male once he gets back his health. He has some good colors already, even though he is sick. Congrats on becoming a cham owner, keep us updated on his condition.

Thanks guys will phone around vets in the morning, Theres none in my area so thought I would get advice from people who know about chameleons before stressing him with a long drive. Will keep you updated on him.

His colours have improved since I had him as he now has heat and uvb, and things to climb on. The scary part is the guy I got him off runs a pet shop selling them and says he has loads still at home.

Back
Top Bottom