**I'm in need of advice please**

jac

Good afternoon,

Ive already posted this on someone's else's thread, so I thought I'd put it out on my own, as she proberly thinks Im really cheeky now, butting into her forum, sorry.

I have taken a few questions off here and tried to answer them, basically I just want to make sure im doing everything alright for me baby boy. I know there's a few bad reports about the fogger. We dont actually use it that muhc, but he doesnt seem to be scared about it. He generally happy. He isnt a morning person and is so mardy in a morning, but its cute really. He does get handled a lot and someone has said that can stress them, but he doesnt seem to mind. He likes being out, he just doesnt like us messing about in his home. But we've put that down to yemens being territorial.

Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size? Using an exo-terra 60x45x45. The glass one with the vents all round.
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day? It has a unit at the top of the cage. One heat bulbs to the left hand side then 2 exo terra tropical bulbs, one in the middle and one to the right.
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night? Temp is between 80 and 90 in the day. thats at the basking area. Ambient temp is around 70. at night it goes down to around 60-70 when the lights are switched off. He has his heat mat on at the bottom all day and night.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Humidity is normally around 80-90. We have an exo terra med waterfall and fogger in the bottom and a drip and we spray him 2-3 times a day. We only have the fogger on for 20 mins first thing in a morning and 20 mins at night. His water fall is on all day, switched off at night. His dripper is on very slowly. We spray him 3 times a day.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Using lots of pastic plants, vines and branches.
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? The viv is next to the window, but the blind is closed all day. Against the wall on a stand that is around 100 cm high. so he's fairly high up.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. Yemen, Male (we think. He has lil knobbles on his feet...) we got told he was around 6 months old and weve had him around 3 weeks.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Mainly locusts and crickets. Some wax worms. He's eating tons at the min. We tap around 6-10 in at a time of locusts and thats around 2-3 times a day. He has wax worms at night (not to late). He gets fed in a morning, at dinner if were off work. Once or twice at night, depending on if he's eat them all or not. We dont give him anymore until he's ate them all. We have the locusts in a house. they have oats etc. we put in calic powder. The pet shop said to chuck a sprickle of fish food in there to? and we have solid water to help keep them alive and hydrated. We bought some calci powder just for chameleons, it has all nutrients in etc. Im thinking about ordering some live food in, but not quite sure on what to try him on?
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use? Calci powder. some in the house and they climb into a tube so we can put them in easily, so before putting them in we put a lil more down the tube.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking? We have a dripper which he doesnt use much. He did the first day we got him, we saw him drink on the first day, we were so shocked. He must of been de-hydrated. We have an exo terra waterfall at the bottom running all day and is cleaned out reg. We spray him 3 times a day. he seems to like the spraying on the leaves more than anything. We have seen him drink, very few and far in between though! We treat all of his water. drops of reptile vitamins and drops of calcium water cleanser for reptiles. It takes the clorine and something else out.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. He's pooing a lot, greeny colours, some lighter whitey colours. getting biggr in size. slimy but a good solid.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Hes eating well, is turning some loverly colours. doesnt get stressed much only when we annoy him when he wants to chill. were still using kitchen roll on the floor for the time being. Got some substrate for when he's bigger, but i'd prefer kitchen roll, easier to clean out. When we clean him out i spray this anti bac stuff for retiles. its eucaliptis flavor, smells gorgeous and safe for him. We are changing his dripper and water every other day. He gets cleaned out once a week and anti-bac'd.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about. Just that he's drinking enough and the brown bit at the back of his veil. Im sure it wasnt there before? Whether theres anything else we should be doing? Are we feeding him to much. Ive read we shouldnt actually spray him himself, is this true? We dont currently but I think he should have a little moisture on his body every now and again, like when he's shedding? I think he's all good and healthy though. I appreciate any help and tips.

Attachments

• P060408_13.03[01].JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 170
  • P060408_19.25[01].JPG
    P060408_19.25[01].JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 149
  • P270308_06.25[02].JPG
    P270308_06.25[02].JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 121
  • P050408_15.56[01].JPG
    P050408_15.56[01].JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 121
  • P060408_13.05[01].JPG
    P060408_13.05[01].JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 117
hello, Jac:

Almost all veiled become calm as soon as they get out from the cage. but, that does not mean that they like to be handled.
So, avoid handling him too much. It can considerably shorten his life.

I recommend all screen cage.
Is the bulb spiral? if it is, then that's bad. Get reptisun 5.0 UVB Linear
Temp sounds good, take out the heat mat. your cham will be fine during the night unless it drops below 60.

90% is a bit excessive for veiled. Do you not get mold in that humid cage? mostly 50% will be fine.
Take out the WATERFALL. Eeeep!
Fogger is also not necessary in my opinion. Misting and live plants should be enough.

Spray frequency is good.
try using real plants. they are very beneficial.

for 6 months, you really need to get him to aluminum screen cage.
I think he's about ready to go to his adult cage pretty soon.

Fish food is for fish.
Crickets does not need fish food to survive.
high protein gutload increase the risk of your cham getting Gout.

Try substituting wax worm with silkworm

No substrate necessary for the rest of his life.
can you supply us the picture of the brown spot?
for 6 months, i think he'll b fine misted.

hope that helps.

Thanks for your responce. Its appreciated.

Ok, so we will stop handling so much, how often is recommended?

Yeah al 3 bulbs are the spiral ones. all outside of his cage facing down. Heat side oneside and a cooler side. They are in a unit, thats meant for the viv? I cant see a way of getting a ceramic and a bulb and a UV strip light in there???? Whats wrong with the spiral ones? Im trying to find the boxes of them to say what they are...

We can take the waterfall out, no problem, just though it was a ncie touch in there as running water for him to drink. We will stop using the fogger for sure. Its normally only on 90% when we spray etc, goes down throughout the day normally to around 50. No mould growing in there at all? i will keep an eye on the humidity.

Which real plants shall I use? are the plastic ones not suitable?

Im not sure if we have anywhere to put him right now. Its the same viv as he was in at the pet shop? he seems fine in there? walking about on all the branches? he maybe older than 6 months? im only going on what the pet shop said?

No more sprinkles of fish food in the locusts i promise. Only calci powder and water.

I will try and order some silk worms from somewhere, are the wax worms to fatty for him?

I have attached a picture of his browness for you to see. You can slightly see it on this, along the back line of his veil. Also whilst waiting to reply his whole body has shed, it came on within about 10 mins, he looks like he needs something, like water or something, hes rubbing on the branches and eating it off his back....it looks horrible! hahaha bless him, its all nearly off now though.

I will take some pictures of his enclosure also. Post them shorlty. Hope this helps a bit. and again thanks for the help, it is honestly really appreciated.

Attachments

• P060408_13.04[03].JPG
    P060408_13.04[03].JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 140
heres some photos of his viv x

Attachments

• P130408_18.34.JPG
    P130408_18.34.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 94
  • P130408_18.35.JPG
    P130408_18.35.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 152
  • P130408_18.35[05].JPG
    P130408_18.35[05].JPG
    119 KB · Views: 119
Heya,

"Ok, so we will stop handling so much, how often is recommended?"

as minimal as possible, only handle when necessary such as during cage cleaning.

"Yeah al 3 bulbs are the spiral ones. all outside of his cage facing down. Heat side oneside and a cooler side. They are in a unit, thats meant for the viv? I cant see a way of getting a ceramic and a bulb and a UV strip light in there???? Whats wrong with the spiral ones?"

Spiral one is compact lamp famous for giving your chameleon's eyes conjunctivitis. Just use normal light fixture for UVB linear tube and a clamp lamp for the incandescent bulb.

"Which real plants shall I use? are the plastic ones not suitable?"

Live plants are superior. it helped in keeping the humidity. and they also benefit as a supplementary diet for your chameleon. If you have hibiscus, you can use it in your cage. Your cham can eat the leaves and flower for an extra boost of vit C :)

"he seems fine in there? walking about on all the branches? he maybe older than 6 months? im only going on what the pet shop said?"

If he's older than 6 months, he's ready to go to his adult cage 24" 24" 48".
All screen cage promotes good air ventilation that reduces the risk of your chameleon getting an upper respiratory infection.

"No more sprinkles of fish food in the locusts i promise. Only calci powder and water."

you might need more supplements than reptivite.
try getting herptivite multi vitamin, Repcal with D3, and MinerAll 0 (calcium without D3)

"I will try and order some silk worms from somewhere, are the wax worms to fatty for him?"
Yes, I always said that wax worm is equivalent to deep fried burger :p

"I have attached a picture of his browness for you to see. You can slightly see it on this, along the back line of his veil. Also whilst waiting to reply his whole body has shed, it came on within about 10 mins, he looks like he needs something, like water or something, hes rubbing on the branches and eating it off his back....it looks horrible! hahaha bless him, its all nearly off now though."

I don't exactly see anything wrong in the picture. He looked fine to me.

I have a blog in my signature that you might want to check as far as detailed suggestion and such.
Feel free to read them :)

Hope that helps

"Ok, so we will stop handling so much, how often is recommended?"

as minimal as possible, only handle when necessary such as during cage cleaning.

Will try not to handle him so much, lesson learn't I promise, thank you.

"Yeah al 3 bulbs are the spiral ones. all outside of his cage facing down. Heat side oneside and a cooler side. They are in a unit, thats meant for the viv? I cant see a way of getting a ceramic and a bulb and a UV strip light in there???? Whats wrong with the spiral ones?"

Spiral one is compact lamp famous for giving your chameleon's eyes conjunctivitis. Just use normal light fixture for UVB linear tube and a clamp lamp for the incandescent bulb.

Ok, I have posted a thread on the enclosures, asking for somewhere to buy the equipment we need. I would like to get him a full screen viv and a long UV tropical tube and a heat light in the basking area. All to sit on the top of the viv. Will this be better? Weve stopped using the fogger and plan to take the waterfall out at the weekend. I hate disturbing him so much. And we might aswell do it when we get some plants to go in etc. Ive had a look at the box of the lights we are using. We have 2 spiral repti glo 5.0 uvb. It does say compact on it, so this isnt good. Im going to search for a unit at the weekend that is more suitable. We prefer the long light but the petshop advised on this unit?

"Which real plants shall I use? are the plastic ones not suitable?"

Live plants are superior. it helped in keeping the humidity. and they also benefit as a supplementary diet for your chameleon. If you have hibiscus, you can use it in your cage. Your cham can eat the leaves and flower for an extra boost of vit C

Can I just buy these plants from a garden centre? or do i have to get them special from somewhere? Im going to get some hibiscus plants at the weekend. Any ideas on any other types I can use please? Im going to leave some plastic in as this is where he sleeps bless him.

"he seems fine in there? walking about on all the branches? he maybe older than 6 months? im only going on what the pet shop said?"

If he's older than 6 months, he's ready to go to his adult cage 24" 24" 48".
All screen cage promotes good air ventilation that reduces the risk of your chameleon getting an upper respiratory infection.

Were trying to find one on the internet currently. Do you know of a good one please? He's in a much bigger viv now....will it be a big shock for him to go in a viv at 24 x24 x 48. Think he's in a 45 x 45 x 60 at the min.

"No more sprinkles of fish food in the locusts i promise. Only calci powder and water."

you might need more supplements than reptivite.
try getting herptivite multi vitamin, Repcal with D3, and MinerAll 0 (calcium without D3)

The dust we are using at the min is sandfire super foods. chameleon dust. Its an all in one super food. Includes all food, vitamins and minerals. We do also feed the locusts carrots that are left over when feeding our bearded dragon. We have vitamin drops in his water and calcimize conditioner for the water. Do we need anything extra?

"I will try and order some silk worms from somewhere, are the wax worms to fatty for him?"
Yes, I always said that wax worm is equivalent to deep fried burger

Thanks again for your help. I have looked online for silk worms and I have enquired about them at 2 pet shops today. I cant seem to get them locally anywhere. May have to order them on the net.

Back
Top Bottom