I'm a new member looking for some Panther Chameleon Lighting/Breeding help.

Warrix642

I am a new member to the forums, just starting to really get into Panther Chameleons(and this website). I have 1 male 6 month old Ambanja, 1 female 10 month old Ambilobe(layed 1 in-fertile clutch of 23 a few weeks ago), 1 male 5 month old Veiled and 1 male 4 month old Ambilobe on the way. I am looking to upgrade to the best type of uvb lighting beacuse my Exo-terra uvb(24" tubes) 5.0s are 6 months old and I am trying to breed very soon. What is the best way to give them uvb besides the sun? Should I really have a uvb 10.0 on the female when she is pregonant? Is it hard to breed Ambanja with Ambilobe? My male doesn't nod his head when I show him the female, but he is big colorful and looks to be mature. My female will watch him for 10-15 seconds and then puff up and gape. Do they just need time or is there another problem? Sorry for all the questions at once but this is my first post!

Thanks,
Dustin

ill let people taht know more asnwer the other questions that know more as im kina new also i do know 6 months is alil young for a female as shes still growing and greedin her young robs her of calcium that she still needs for her growing bones

ill let people taht know more asnwer the other questions that know more as im kina new also i do know 6 months is alil young for a female as shes still growing and greedin her young robs her of calcium that she still needs for her growing bones

The female is 10 months old

yea i havent changed bulbs for my pregnant females 5.0 is what i use but like i said im sure others that know more will chime in this fourm is a meltin pot of info,and the people on here are great at helpin with things ya may not know

oh duh i read it wrong ok 10 isnt bad she just must not be ready yet mine was like that shed get all pissed off and fire up and shed tear up the male but i kept showin them to eachother and when she was ready she sowed she was ready

Welcome to the forum Warrix642,

Most of us use the ZooMed ReptiSun 5.0's Linear tubes . The 10.0's are not really needed for most standard cage set-ups. Gravid or not you use the same lighting.

Your trying breed far earlier then most keepers, and there are greater risk doing so. It is recommended that the animals be atleast 1-1.5 years of age, to better your chances of a healthy mating. Although she may be receptive, it is not recommended. It is alot of stress, and strain on the animal, and you run a greater risk of losing the animal during the process. If she is infact gaping and not accepting his advances they should not be put together. She will show receptive coloration and accept his advances when she is ready. Cross breeding is a matter of preference and not always encouraged. Pure breed animals are always a better way to go, as they are more desireable and easier to place.

-Jay

Welcome to the forum. I don't mean to sound like a (B)witch but what are you breeding the female with? Hopefully not to the 6 month old? He is not even close to mature yet. Also if you are new to chameleons it would be a lot better if you spend a little time learning to care for the chameleons prior to having babies to care for. I have a clutch now and they are expensive and a lot of work. Don't expect to make money raising them, you won't. Also if and when you breed the ones you can best sell are not cross. I alway hate it when new people get beat up on, but you really should look at what you are doing, the time, money and committment that you are accepting. Vet bills are not cheap and will happen, just ask around on this forum.

As far as the lighting goes using the Reptisun 5.0 is your best bet. Everyone on these forums use's them and we all have the best results you are going to have with lighting.

With the breeding make sure you do the homework and are fully prepared for the responsibilies of taking care of the young ones. It takes alot of time and money. If you are up for the task i think it is awesome to embark on the journey. They should be a bit older then what you said you have. 1-1.5 years old is in the best interest of the animals.

I'm not new to chameleons just new to breeding. I have done months of researching on breeding, a lot of it is different/contradicting, I was told by a breeder that males can breed at 6 months that the females needed to be older but I was told by another breader to wait until the male is 12 months. I have 3 very healthy chams I just want them to be even healthier. I have money for new supplies/ the vet(if needed) I was just asking what is the BEST light to use I know all about the requirements. I am not trying to make money just have some babies! I have done my fair share of research I just wanted to hear what was best from a person not some internet article. I have had my female for 7 months and she is very healthy and eats everyday. I heard good about the Repti-sun what about exo-terra and power-sun? Are they not as good or do they have a negative side to them? I just dont understand why the cheapest is considered the best.

Might be best if you wait till the male is about 8-9 months and the female is 13 months you will have better results. The 5.0's are perfect for the UVB lighting.

Waiting is best... didn't your parents teach this to you growing up? ;)

Give the gal some time to mature. Watch the food you feed her. The more you feed the bigger the clutch..... the harder it is on her body and the shorter her life will be.

I have a female veiled and I mated her once..... she laid and I had a good clutch. then the next time around I did not mate her... she laid and still got a good clutch of fertile eggs. This third time around I mated her with a different male I have. The eggs are fertilizing as I type....

Keeping an eye on her food intake is key. making sure you supplement correctly is key and keeping her lighting correct is key. This all makes it easier on her body. If you can take her outside safely and securely, do it. Just remember not to supplement with D3 if you are taking her outside.

And as far as cross breeding. For the sake of the offspring, don't. cross bred chams don't sell quite as well. People want to keep pure blood flowing through the generations of captive animals. This is mostly based off a personal view but one I think I share with a lot of keepers out there. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom