Ideas for DIY Planter drainage??

Im staining the planters this weekend and planned on using corugulated plastic sheets and sliicone to line the inside for added waterproofing and some kind of drainage at the bottom. My problem is I need to find a way to kind of slope the bottom down to the drain. so far I only have isopods im adding for cleaner crew. looking in to getting some springtails as well.

what size bag did you need for the expanded clay pebbles?

Amazon
GROW!T GMC40l - 4mm-16mm Clay Pebbles, Brown, (40 Liter Bag) - Made from 100% Natural Clay, Can be used for Drainage, Decoration, Aquaponics, Hydroponics and Other Gardening Essentials

This is what I used. Had about a quarter of it left.

Amazon
GROW!T GMC40l - 4mm-16mm Clay Pebbles, Brown, (40 Liter Bag) - Made from 100% Natural Clay, Can be used for Drainage, Decoration, Aquaponics, Hydroponics and Other Gardening Essentials

I just ordered it from home depot sonce they offered free shipping. Also, is there a good alternative to the sunshine #4 mix. not seeing any stores near me selling it. Or is there a mix of soils I can make myself?

Fox farms organic is a good alternative.
You can mix your own, but I have never done it before.
Really I think any well draining organic potting soil would work

Amazon

I did buy the drylock and stained the planters today. so tomo
Fox farms organic is a good alternative.
You can mix your own, but I have never done it before.
Really I think any well draining organic potting soil would work
Also, roughly how much of the drylock did you use up ?

For waterproofing?
I used flex seal. put on 1 gallon, let it cure out, and then used a pint to build up the corners and help move any water to the drain

Ive been watching you tube tutorials of people using the drylock waterproofer. not sure what the difference is between the two products.

Ive been watching you tube tutorials of people using the drylock waterproofer. not sure what the difference is between the two products.
I've mostly seen Drylok used on carved foam backgrounds to seal them, and allow a paintable surface. It is a masonry sealant, so not sure how well it would work on wood. The flex seal is basically just a liquid rubber.

Back
Top Bottom