I needs suggestions for quad 36" T5HO

Connorology

Avid Member
Hello All,

I have a 36" quad t5HO fixture from Odyssea - it has worked well for about three years, but yesterday two of the lights started flickering. My understanding is that this indicates a ballast is going out (the pairs are on separate switches). Has anyone ever tried to replace ballasts on one of these? I have a message on the reef aquarium boards too since I have basically co opted aquarium equipment anyway.

I'd be willing to replace it if repair is not an option, but I don't have any good leads on 36" quads with the features I want - what is nice about my current fixture is that it has cooling fans which promote airflow into my vivarium, and has an integrated timer that turns the paired tubes on and off separately so I can change UVB output depending on the time of day (I have an old UVB light that comes on in the morning and turns off at night that doesn't provide much UVB, and then a newer bulb that's on for about 6 hours that gets the basking spots up to UVI 3-6).

I could try to find the same model, but I believe it has been discontinued, and I have heard quality of Odyssea fixtures has recently decreased. Any suggestions for repair or replacement?

Thanks,

-Connor

If you're going to have to replace it, I would seriously consider moving to a single T5HO for the UVB, and switch to LEDs for plant lights; they're more economical, more efficient, greener, and over 5 years, LEDS will cost around half of what T5s will.

Many of us are moving to this light for a 24 x 24 x 48. I have a 48W enclosure, so I have 2 of them.
https://www.sansiled.com/collections/led-grow-lights/products/70w-led-grow-light

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. Do you know what the kelvin is on that fixture?

I do have LEDs already. I'm not using the 2' W so I need to find a 3' long fixture, unfortunately. I bought a ballast off of eBay, I am probably going to just try to solder the d*** thing back together.

Careful with this fixture. People have had them catch fire. Mine tried to as well.
The Odyssea? I believe I have a model that predates the "spontaneous combustion" feature. The older 36" has cooling fans in it, I have read models without the fans (I believe the 24", +/- a different 36" model) have had problems. This one has been going for years, before any brand-related combustions were documented online. Just looking at mine vs the current models for sale, it's a completely different piece of equipment.

I was able to get a replacement ballast off of eBay. Very easy to swap out actually. Almost easier than replacing bulbs once i figured out how to get the casing apart. No soldering required, clips into place.

The Odyssea? I believe I have a model that predates the "spontaneous combustion" feature. The older 36" has cooling fans in it, I have read models without the fans (I believe the 24", +/- a different 36" model) have had problems. This one has been going for years, before any brand-related combustions were documented online. Just looking at mine vs the current models for sale, it's a completely different piece of equipment.

I was able to get a replacement ballast off of eBay. Very easy to swap out actually. Almost easier than replacing bulbs once i figured out how to get the casing apart. No soldering required, clips into place.
I am glad it worked for you. Yeah no the other two I bought one was a 24 inch and had fans this one kept blowing bulbs... Then I bought the 48 inch and it had fans. This is the one that tried to catch on fire. started to actually melt the bulb. The one I started out with was a 36 inch. Maybe we got those when they were good. Just do not do what I did and try to buy a new Odyssea fixture. That is what I meant to say.

I am glad it worked for you. Yeah no the other two I bought one was a 24 inch and had fans this one kept blowing bulbs... Then I bought the 48 inch and it had fans. This is the one that tried to catch on fire. started to actually melt the bulb. The one I started out with was a 36 inch. Maybe we got those when they were good. Just do not do what I did and try to buy a new Odyssea fixture. That is what I meant to say.
Oh yeah I gotcha - so it had cooling fans for fluorescent lights AND still overheated? I don't even know how that's possible, they must have royally screwed up some part of the QC process.

I am in the process of upgrading all my animals to custom made enclosures. The 36" odyssea only has to survive for another 6-12 months until I get my massive chameleon enclosure built and operational. I am probably going to switch to a single reflector 48" at that time, and compensate for the loss in FC with LEDs

Foot candles - I probably shouldn't use undefined acronyms and then disappear for three weeks.

It's basically the measurable unit of light output alongside lux. Theoretically PAR may be better as a unit for plant growth? Or something? I've never engaged with PAR though because a meter costs >$200 while a lux/FC meter costs $10.

Foot candles - I probably shouldn't use undefined acronyms and then disappear for three weeks.

It's basically the measurable unit of light output alongside lux. Theoretically PAR may be better as a unit for plant growth? Or something? I've never engaged with PAR though because a meter costs >$200 while a lux/FC meter costs $10.
Yeah, my Missus just bought one of the less expensive ones; she said it's a simple conversion not worth the extra $.

Not sure I agree LEDs lack anything.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=led+vs+fluorescent+plant+lights

No, I mean I lose total foot candles when I decrease the number of lights. I have four t5 tubes right now in the quad, but it would be easier to just have a single t5 with a reflector for UVB, and then make up for the loss of those three tubes with LED lights.

Back
Top Bottom