I need some carpet cham help

cushcameleon

Right now the setup for my carpet chameleon is almost identical to my rudis chameleons setup. However, I am noticing that he is basking under his heat lamp throughout most of the day. He also becomes dark whenever I mist him and his cage. I am guessing the lamp may not be hot enough (his basking light temp is about 83 degrees), should I make his basking area hotter? I'm hesitant to do so because he is a montane species and I've heard low 80 temperatures work best for them.

Right now the setup for my carpet chameleon is almost identical to my rudis chameleons setup. However, I am noticing that he is basking under his heat lamp throughout most of the day. He also becomes dark whenever I mist him and his cage. I am guessing the lamp may not be hot enough (his basking light temp is about 83 degrees), should I make his basking area hotter? I'm hesitant to do so because he is a montane species and I've heard low 80 temperatures work best for them.

83-85F is perfect... Let him settle in a bit. He just getting used to things.

They will turn dark when basking or when they get wet to absorb the heat from the bulb. They love to bask, him sitting there is what he likes to do.

What is your humidity like?

If he is eating , defecating and drinking then he is fine. It may be best to have limited interaction with him until he is all settled. I wouldn't hold him, or look at him (as little as possible) for at least 3 weeks or so. Only when needed to feed, clean, etc.

83-85F is perfect... Let him settle in a bit. He just getting used to things.

They will turn dark when basking or when they get wet to absorb the heat from the bulb. They love to bask, him sitting there is what he likes to do.

What is your humidity like?

If he is eating , defecating and drinking then he is fine. It may be best to have limited interaction with him until he is all settled. I wouldn't hold him, or look at him (as little as possible) for at least 3 weeks or so. Only when needed to feed, clean, etc.

He has been drinking lots of water, but hasn't ate anything yet (I had this same problem with my rudis chameleon for several days when I first got him), I also have yet to find a fecal. My rudis chameleon almost never basks under his heat bulb (he is always under his UVB tube) and he never turns black for heat absorption, which is what I assumed my carpet would do. Turns out my carpet is just the opposite, he is also pacing everywhere, which I am assuming is normal stress for his new environment. I'm hoping I can get him eating before the long road trip on thursday. I also have a scheduled vet appointment on friday to have both of my chams checked out.

My carpet chameleon showed some brilliant colors this morning. He had full yellow background with colors of black, green, blue, white, pink and gray on top. Is this just another pattern for his stress colors?

Back
Top Bottom