I failed

John PDX

After doing research on what I needed for an enclosure. I built a 4' x 2'-6" x 6' tall wood and screen enclosure. I used a basking lamp, 5.0 UVB bulb and LED lights for the plants (all on the safe list). Before i bought the Chameleon i ran the cage for a few weeks to make sure everything was working right. the big problem I noticed right away was keeping humidity up and still maintaining ventilation. i live in a place that is cold and raining or warm and dry. his cage is in a heated space and never got below 65 deg f. His basking area is about 90 deg and lower areas are about 75-80 during the day. my humidity was always in the normal range so i installed a Mistking system but that did not seam to help the humidity much even with it running every 2.4 hours. so i closed up two of the 3 screen areas with glass and that put my humidity at about 65%, still low i know. In February i got my Chameleon and we was doing really well until last week. he started his 3rd shed with me (the other 2 went perfect) and almost immediately he stopped eating and just got worse from there and this morning i found him dead. i know he drinks from the plants, i have seen him do it often. i am at a complete loss on what happened or i did wrong. now i am afraid of getting another Chameleon and have a cage that i just might set fire to. This is really disappointing to me, i have wanted Chameleon for a long time but did not want to get one until i could keep it properly, guess i still can't.

After doing research on what I needed for an enclosure. I built a 4' x 2'-6" x 6' tall wood and screen enclosure. I used a basking lamp, 5.0 UVB bulb and LED lights for the plants (all on the safe list). Before i bought the Chameleon i ran the cage for a few weeks to make sure everything was working right. the big problem I noticed right away was keeping humidity up and still maintaining ventilation. i live in a place that is cold and raining or warm and dry. his cage is in a heated space and never got below 65 deg f. His basking area is about 90 deg and lower areas are about 75-80 during the day. my humidity was always in the normal range so i installed a Mistking system but that did not seam to help the humidity much even with it running every 2.4 hours. so i closed up two of the 3 screen areas with glass and that put my humidity at about 65%, still low i know. In February i got my Chameleon and we was doing really well until last week. he started his 3rd shed with me (the other 2 went perfect) and almost immediately he stopped eating and just got worse from there and this morning i found him dead. i know he drinks from the plants, i have seen him do it often. i am at a complete loss on what happened or i did wrong. now i am afraid of getting another Chameleon and have a cage that i just might set fire to. This is really disappointing to me, i have wanted Chameleon for a long time but did not want to get one until i could keep it properly, guess i still can't.
What kind of chameleon did you have?

These are challenging reptiles to keep—much more unforgiving than say... a bearded dragon.
It's possible that you did everything exactly right, but sometimes they can crash anyway.

To be sure, it might help to answer the questions here.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
(You can copy/paste them into a post here with answers)
This might help figure out what went wrong, or reassure you it wasn't anything you did.

Either way, everyone here feels for your loss, and wish you success should you try again.

I had a veiled, none now
Sorry for your loss. How old was it and was it male or female? Age plays into temps for them 90 degrees is the very max for an adult male Veiled... daytime humidity should only be 30-50%max for a veiled.
Unfortunately there are a lot of inaccurate sites out there for their husbandry.
If you want to learn accurate info I would read through this site https://chameleonacademy.com/
It lays out everything.

Sorry for your loss. How old was it and was it male or female? Age plays into temps for them 90 degrees is the very max for an adult male Veiled... daytime humidity should only be 30-50%max for a veiled.
Unfortunately there are a lot of inaccurate sites out there for their husbandry.
If you want to learn accurate info I would read through this site https://chameleonacademy.com/
It lays out everything.
Male about 4-6 months old, thanks i will be doing a lot more research before i replace him.

These are challenging reptiles to keep—much more unforgiving than say... a bearded dragon.
It's possible that you did everything exactly right, but sometimes they can crash anyway.

This might help figure out what went wrong, or reassure you it wasn't anything you did.

Either way, everyone here feels for your loss, and wish you success should you try again.
Thanks, i want to try again. just not going to bother until i feel i now what went wrong

Don't be too hard on yourself. I bought a Jackson's from Reptile show and he would never eat well. I tried all different foods. He eventually died from temporal gland infections. Sorry. I have a Veiled now that is hissing and eating and shedding like crazy.

read everything on that link I gave you. :) It may not have been something you did. He could have had parasites or funky genetics. Try not to beat up on yourself too much. Learn more then when you feel ready get another one.
that link is what i used as my guide for building my cage. what i think i need to do is more research on veiled chameleons. i have been trying to dig deeper into LED lighting and if that has a negative effect or not. not alot of information on that.

We tend to assume that since our animals look ok and that we’re providing the proper care, that they are ok. We have to assume it’s our failing somehow when we lose them, but that isn’t always the case. It’s the same with us. Sometimes perfectly healthy appearing young people die suddenly, only to find out later that they were born with a heart or other serious defect.
Review all that you did, keep learning all you can and let your heart heal. When you’re ready, try again. You always have the support of the forum. ?

Beardies are forgiving, but require close to the same, if not more amount of maintenance than a cham.

Back
Top Bottom