I’m a first time chameleon owner, any tips?

RangosTango

I just got my veiled cham Friday and it is a male baby, I’m not quite sure how old he is but I’m assuming somewhere between 2-4 months maybe. He has a glass, mesh top, 12”x12”x18” terrarium. I feel I’ve got some of the basics so far, when to feed him, humidity, and temperature, but I just want to make sure I have ALL he basics so I can take real good care of my new buddy Rango.

Attachments

• 89153A4B-A58C-4B21-B856-ADEF2D93783E.jpeg
    89153A4B-A58C-4B21-B856-ADEF2D93783E.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 68
  • E042CB7A-CF16-4E29-AB6E-8E27059DD056.jpeg
    E042CB7A-CF16-4E29-AB6E-8E27059DD056.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 58
It is good you are starting early. There is much to learn. There are problems with your set up.

People here will be more help if you could fill out the questions at https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

They are great little guys, just don’t stop learning.
Thank you! I do realize the setup from what you can see in the picture is kind of bland, but I have gotten him more sticks and we are going to get him more, bigger leaves to lay in.

Thank you! I do realize the setup from what you can see in the picture is kind of bland, but I have gotten him more sticks and we are going to get him more, bigger leaves to lay in.

He will out grow it by 6 months old.
That was the main thing. Usually people are excited and post pics before full setup, so I understand there’s more to come.

Hi and welcome! :) If you could fill this out, you’ll be able to get more complete feedback. Please add some photos of your entire enclosure and more of your chameleon, specifically his back feet. Too often people think they have a male but really have a female. Females have a little different needs, so this is important.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Rango is a veiled chameleon, he appears to be male. I’m not sure how old he is but he looks less than 4 months. I have had Rango since Friday, April 24, 2020. I handle him once or twice a day and when he is on me he likes to go to my thumb, shoulder, or head. I let him free roam on my bed for an hour each day with blinds on my window open so he has sunlight. I feed him crickets in the morning and if he seems hungry throughout the day I give him more (about 15 at the end of the day). I put ZooMed Reptivite vitamins on them. I currently don’t have calcium powder yet but we are getting it this weekend. I gutload the crickets with plenty of fruits the night before. I spray his terrarium walls and his leaves for him to drink off of. For some reason he prefers drinking off the walls than the leaves he walks and sleeps on so I spray the walls where he licks it. Yes I do see him drink. I mist with a spray bottle for 2-3 minutes depending on how dry it is. His fecal color is usually white and/or grey. Since I have had him I have not had him checked for parasites and I have no idea if the PetLand I was at had ever got him checked. His cage has glass walls, a mesh top, and a vent at the front for circulation. The size is 12”x12”x18”. The brand for his light is ZooMed. I use a daylight blue reptile bulb which is also ZooMed. I have that bulb on for 12 hours, from 9 am to 9 pm. The temperature range is 73-84. The lowest temp I’ve seen during the night was 56 but it’s usually 60-68. I use a Velcro on thermometer that also measures humidity. My humidity level during the day is 56-60 and during the night when I turn off his light it is 70-80. I create and maintain these levels by misting it with a spray bottle several times a day. I’m using fake plants. Rango’s cage is located in the corner of the room farthest from my window, fan, and doors. The height of he top of the cage relative to the ground is about 4 feet. I am located in East Tennessee.

Attachments

• 7023FC4C-756D-4797-BBF3-8A84650192FD.jpeg
    7023FC4C-756D-4797-BBF3-8A84650192FD.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 0C3D9971-59B9-41A6-8278-C0D70E1DB7DF.jpeg
    0C3D9971-59B9-41A6-8278-C0D70E1DB7DF.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 42254025-70EF-4527-AF3A-10188952A5CA.jpeg
    42254025-70EF-4527-AF3A-10188952A5CA.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 46
Oh also the history part, since we got Rango he is a dark color while in his cage most of the time but when he is out he is a bright color and he loves climbing and he will wait by the door of the cage sometimes to be let out a second time so somedays he has been out on my bed two times.

Back
Top Bottom