Hydration Help

T_Nicole

Hi all, I am pretty new to chameleon keeping and I have been having trouble keeping my veiled hydrated. He is a male veiled chameleon and is almost 4 months old. I have a mister that goes off once before his lights come on and once before they go off for 2 minutes. I also have a dripper that I have had dripping most of the day. My problem is that my chameleon is not drinking and is becoming dehydrated. When the dripper is dripping he shoots his tongue at the droplets and almost never catches them and he always runs from the mister. I have also added hornworms daily as I have heard that they help with hydration. The past two days his urates as been pretty dry and is getting a darker orange. I'm getting worried because I have heard they can go down quick when they get dehydrated. His eyes are not sunken yet and today I resorted to dropping water on his head from the top of the screen to try and get some water in him. Is there anything else that I can do to help hydrate him. Also I have filled out the info sheet in a previous post for reference. Thanks!

Dont turn on the myster when hes asleep. Theres no point in that. You should myst about half an hour to one hour after he gets up and then in the middle of the day. Dont myst 2 minutes before lights go off either. How do you know he’s getting dehydrated? They are shy drinkers. Its normal for you not to see him drink often.

Dont turn on the myster when hes asleep. Theres no point in that. You should myst about half an hour to one hour after he gets up and then in the middle of the day. Dont myst 2 minutes before lights go off either. How do you know he’s getting dehydrated? They are shy drinkers. Its normal for you not to see him drink often.
I guess Im just assuming he is dehydrated because of his dry/orangeish urate. He hasn't been too shy around me, he usually is eating before I can even get my hand out of his enclosure and he shoots his tongue at the dripper right when I turn in on but I guess its possible for him to drink while I'm not there!

I guess Im just assuming he is dehydrated because of his dry/orangeish urate. He hasn't been too shy around me, he usually is eating before I can even get my hand out of his enclosure and he shoots his tongue at the dripper right when I turn in on but I guess its possible for him to drink while I'm not there!
Okay, then just fix the misting time and tell me if the urate gets whiter! Its nothing bad if the urate is orange unless its not like that every day

A fogger/humidifier at night (when your temps drop) for at least 5-6 hours will help hydrate your chameleon naturally. Just make sure to clean it every 2-4 weeks. Is your mister blasting your chameleon directly? My chameleon hates being sprayed so the fog drinking works wonders for me. I also have a pressure sprayer that I occasionally give her a light drizzle with (facing the spray upwards and lightly pulling the trigger so the water “rains” on her). Hope this helps you ☺️

A fogger/humidifier at night (when your temps drop) for at least 5-6 hours will help hydrate your chameleon naturally. Just make sure to clean it every 2-4 weeks. Is your mister blasting your chameleon directly? My chameleon hates being sprayed so the fog drinking works wonders for me. I also have a pressure sprayer that I occasionally give her a light drizzle with (facing the spray upwards and lightly pulling the trigger so the water “rains” on her). Hope this helps you ☺️
Its a single nozzle mister so he only gets sprayed his he is sitting on a branch that is close to the mister. Ill definitely look into the fogger. How much do the temps need to drop to make sure that he doesn't develop a respiratory infection? My room stays in the mid 60's at night.

Its a single nozzle mister so he only gets sprayed his he is sitting on a branch that is close to the mister. Ill definitely look into the fogger. How much do the temps need to drop to make sure that he doesn't develop a respiratory infection? My room stays in the mid 60's at night.
He will most likely run from the spray when he’s on that branch. Low 60s is good, but make sure to have air movement (not a breeze but a flow). ☺️

Orange urates are an indication of dehydration. Can you post a photo of them.
this pic is from this morning. It looks a little better than it did yesterday

Attachments

• urate 352021.jpg
    urate 352021.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom