Husbandry review

Kronos

Established Member
Was told we needed to post here. We’re extremely new to using a forum, so we are still learning, bare with me, lol.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Ambilobe, male-or is suppose to be, he is 3 about months or so the breeder says. He has been with us for 22 days
  • Handling - as little as possible, held him 4-5 times and only to take him out to put him on his dragon or umbrella tree to hang out while we clean his habitat.
  • Feeding - we are feeding him baby crickets, baby Dubia roaches, flightless fruit flies and extra small silkworms. As for amount, we have seen him eat multiple times but can’t get a completely accurate number because some escape from the cage. He seems to be eating well. We feed him in the mornings. We gut load with Fluker’s orange cube-cricket complete diet, carrots, oranges, tried oats also, Going to be adding more veggies to his diet.
  • Supplements-
  • Every insect is dusted with Fluker’s Calcium without D3, then twice a month with Zoo Meds Repti calcium with D3 & Rep-Cal Herbtivite multivitamins.
  • Watering - We are currently misting with a hand mister. We mist often to keep his humidity up and to make sure he’s staying hydrated. I see him drink from his leaves in the morning and then throughout the day. I check on him literally all the time.
  • Fecal Description - His stool or whatnot is dark brown and white.
  • History - was injured in shipping on his back right foot. He had a black spot on the part of his foot that was injured. But it’s gone now.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 10 gallon glass cage at the moment with a screen on top. Ceiling fan to circulate air but might get a clip on one. We have a 24w x 24d x48h to move him too once he’s big enough. Are now just using our Reptisun t5 5.0, had to many lights before, had a Reptisun 5.0 fluorescent one before also. But that’s fixed now thanks to some help from you guys. Light schedule is 12 on & 12 off.
  • Temperature - His temp is now 80 at basking height, ambient is 70-72. Before it was too hot and was at about 85 basking and 75 ambient. Lowest temp at night is 70. we measure temps with 2 temp/humidity gages. One at basking height and the other at the bottom. Getting the ones with probes today and also getting a fluke 62 max temp gun.
  • Humidity - Humidity level is between 50-70%. We maintain it by misting.
  • Plants - we have one fake vine of leaves and 1 golden Pothos At the moment. We have a dragon tree and a umbrella tree already for when he comes out of his home, so we can clean his habitat and getting a croton also for his large habitat. When he moves up to it.
  • Placement - cage is in a room away from people/high traffic with a ceiling fan but might get a clip on fan. The little cage is on a dresser at the moment but the larger one is on a kitchen cabinet I bought from Lowe’s.
  • Location - Texas

[/QUOTE

Noticed that there wasn’t anything about how the cage is kept, cleanliness wise. But just so everyone knows, we fully clean his habitat every four days. Spot clean once a day. When fully cleaning the actual tank we use Fluker’s organic super scrub. We take everything out of his habitat and clean it all with mild anti-bacterial soapy water. Rinse and repeat. Just to be safe.

Here are some pictures of our baby Kronos.

Attachments

• FBBF1CF3-25D4-4EBA-8D81-A7721DD02F17.jpeg
    FBBF1CF3-25D4-4EBA-8D81-A7721DD02F17.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 867B0EAB-D02D-4D92-BDEC-96F7093B5E6E.jpeg
    867B0EAB-D02D-4D92-BDEC-96F7093B5E6E.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 94
  • AE1BADF1-7C3D-41A1-A518-10D52C711A33.jpeg
    AE1BADF1-7C3D-41A1-A518-10D52C711A33.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 91
  • D6F2FCBC-8F6E-495D-8824-73ADE7AE6F3D.jpeg
    D6F2FCBC-8F6E-495D-8824-73ADE7AE6F3D.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DF1F8AE9-BD9D-42BF-8F80-BF38A2EAAFE7.jpeg
    DF1F8AE9-BD9D-42BF-8F80-BF38A2EAAFE7.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 6FA4E4E7-0205-420F-B62E-42A1A2D8C533.jpeg
    6FA4E4E7-0205-420F-B62E-42A1A2D8C533.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 81
Thank you!! We love him very much!! He’s so stinking adorable!! The breeder did offer to exchange him but we love him and feel it’s too cruel to ship him back since he’s been injured during transit already, plus was worried they’d put him down. Which we could never let happen.

Thank you!! We love him very much!! He’s so stinking adorable!! The breeder did offer to exchange him but we love him and feel it’s too cruel to ship him back since he’s been injured during transit already, plus was worried they’d put him down. Which we could never let happen.
I just commented about that on your other thread. I think he is perfect. Lol.

Would like to post videos of him also, is that possible on here? Tried and it didn’t work. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong?

Would like to post videos of him also, is that possible on here? Tried and it didn’t work. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong?

You have to upload to another video hosting platform, then link or embed here. YouTube, Imgur, Instagram, Google Photos all work...take your pick.

As for amount, we have seen him eat multiple times but can’t get a completely accurate number because some escape from the cage. He seems to be eating well. We feed him in the mornings. We gut load with Fluker’s orange cube-cricket complete diet, carrots, oranges, tried oats also, Going to be adding more veggies to his diet.
There is an image for gutloading I will link at the end, but you should ditch the fluckers cubes. They are garbage. And I like to use a feeder run. I like to recommend the shooting gallery from tkchameleons.com..

You said: Every insect is dusted with Fluker’s Calcium without D3, then twice a month with Zoo Meds Repti calcium with D3 & Rep-Cal Herbtivite multivitamins.
Im not sure about your herbtivite (just make sure there is no added d3) and the rest sounds spot on.

You said:
We are currently misting with a hand mister. We mist often to keep his humidity up and to make sure he’s staying hydrated. I see him drink from his leaves in the morning and then throughout the day. I check on him literally all the time.
So, how often are you misting? As Becca said, the humidity should be 50-60% during,the daytime, with a nighttime spike that can go to 100%.
Most people recommend misting for a long session (like 2-5 full minutes) in the morning and at in the evening after you turn off the basking bulb and before lights out. Then use a humidifier/fogger at night. The humid air at night is what gives them hydration.

10 gallon glass cage at the moment with a screen on top. Ceiling fan to circulate air but might get a clip on one. We have a 24w x 24d x48h to move him too once he’s big enough. Are now just using our Reptisun t5 5.0, had to many lights before, had a Reptisun 5.0 fluorescent one before also. But that’s fixed now thanks to some help from you guys. Light schedule is 12 on & 12 off.
He is big enough to be in the large cage, but I understand your concern. Good you have a T5 linear bulb!

His temp is now 80 at basking height, ambient is 70-72. Before it was too hot and was at about 85 basking and 75 ambient. Lowest temp at night is 70. we measure temps with 2 temp/humidity gages. One at basking height and the other at the bottom. Getting the ones with probes today and also getting a fluke 62 max temp gun.
It is good your are getting a digital one (or a few!) that has a probe. The current ones (analog) are very inaccurate and unreliable. And you already got the advice and fixed the temps.

Humidity level is between 50-70%. We maintain it by misting
70% is too high. Keep in mind that high humidity + high heat = RI

Noticed that there wasn’t anything about how the cage is kept, cleanliness wise. But just so everyone knows, we fully clean his habitat every four days. Spot clean once a day. When fully cleaning the actual tank we use Fluker’s organic super scrub. We take everything out of his habitat and clean it all with mild anti-bacterial soapy water. Rinse and repeat. Just to be safe.
I havent ever used this. Once you put the baby into the larger cage you can keep the bottom completely bare, and use dish soap and water to clean it out. Easy peasy.
And then spot clean (remove feces) as necessary.

You guys are doing really well, and I am happy to see you have already asked tons of questions and made changes according to the advice given. You'll be great chameleon owners!

Thank you all for the advice. It is very much appreciated!!! The herptivite multivitamin does not contain D3, I’ll make sure to ditch the orange cubes now and will adjust the humidity to make sure it stays between 50-60% for daytime. We usually mist as needed, mornings for sure and during the day when humidity gets low. At night, his humidity stays around 70-80%, with no help needed. If that’s good, then let me know. We will do anything to make his home perfect. Bought 2 feeder runs, they should be here today. Got them from full throttle. They seem really cool, hopefully he’ll like them!!! Here’s a picture of what they look like. Do you think they are good or should I get the other one?

Attachments

• EA61EA9C-C5C5-4927-900E-907608F5E8A9.png
    EA61EA9C-C5C5-4927-900E-907608F5E8A9.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 95
Thank you all for the advice. It is very much appreciated!!! The herptivite multivitamin does not contain D3, I’ll make sure to ditch the orange cubes now and will adjust the humidity to make sure it stays between 50-60% for daytime. We usually mist as needed, mornings for sure and during the day when humidity gets low. At night, his humidity stays around 70-80%, with no help needed. If that’s good, then let me know. We will do anything to make his home perfect. Bought 2 feeder runs, they should be here today. Got them from full throttle. They seem really cool, hopefully he’ll like them!!! Here’s a picture of what they look like. Do you think they are good or should I get the other one?
Those are the ones I use.I love them. Only complaint is that small Dubai can hide behind the mesh part, and when 3 large size crickets piggy back off eachother at the very top, the third crickets can, and will!, jump out of the feeder. Lol. But they are very good runs. Make sure you place it where it wont get misted. If it is wet, the feeders can all climb right out.

Ok per the supplementation.
I do not like herptivite. It does not have preformed vitamin A in it. So I would make some adjustments here... The calcium without D3 at all feedings is perfect. But I would drop the calcium with D3 and the herptivite and get Reptivite with D3. This is a multivitamin and calcium D3. This one does have preformed vitamin A in it for eye health. With this one you only give it 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Does this make sense? It would be this one just make sure it is the With D3 formula https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...800916&sprefix=reptivite+with+,aps,538&sr=8-3

I’m taking everyone’s advice. Everyone pretty much says 50-60% daytime and spikes of up to 100% at night
Ok per the supplementation.
I do not like herptivite. It does not have preformed vitamin A in it. So I would make some adjustments here... The calcium without D3 at all feedings is perfect. But I would drop the calcium with D3 and the herptivite and get Reptivite with D3. This is a multivitamin and calcium D3. This one does have preformed vitamin A in it for eye health. With this one you only give it 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Does this make sense? It would be this one just make sure it is the With D3 formula https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptivite-Vitamin-2-Ounce/dp/B0002AQB6A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=33GIOUUKIDMBK&dchild=1&keywords=reptivite+with+d3&qid=1595800916&sprefix=reptivite+with+,aps,538&sr=8-3
we will definitely get on that. Thank you very much. You guys are very helpful and it’s appreciated!!!

I’m taking everyone’s advice. Everyone pretty much says 50-60% daytime and spikes of up to 100% at night

we will definitely get on that. Thank you very much. You guys are very helpful and it’s appreciated!!!
Order has been placed for the Reptivite with D3. It’ll be here tomorrow, yay!!!!

Back
Top Bottom