Husbandry feedback

ajs

Avid Member
I've had Martin for just about 5 months now and am always looking for ways to improve my husbandry for him. So, I thought I'd reach out for some feedback on my husbandry.

20200823_114238.jpg

About Martin: 9 month old male Ambilobe/Ambanja mix

Enclosure: DIY 36x24x36

Lights: 100W incandescent dimmed to about 75W and T5HO dual fixtute with 6500K daylight and 6% Arcadia UVB.

Plants: pothos, plantain lily, anglonemia, bromeliad. I still need to add a small plant in the empty pot shown

Feeding: Discoids, Hornworms (1-2 for hydration every day to every other day), red runners (recieved more of them today and will have to wait for them to grow a bit), silkworms, very occasional superworm, and ive started to grab a katydid or two from my yard occasionally.

Gutload: typically rotate with whatever vegetables i have. Sweet potatoes, carrot, collard greens, squash, apple cores, dandelion greens occasionally, and bee pollen. I will also sometimes sprinkle some repashy superload on the veggies

Handling: maybe once to twice a week if he seems like he wants out of his enclosure and to get some natural sunlight for a few minutes.

Hydration: mistking that mists a couple times over night and once right before lights on. Little dripper throughout the day probably every other day or so. Hornworms 1-2 daily or every other day when I have them.

Fecal and urates: always white urates and normal looking poo

Let me know if i forgot a category as I did this on my phone and didn't have the form copied over.

Thank you in advance!

ive had Martin for just about 5 months now and am always looking for ways to improve my husbandry for him. So, I thought I'd reach out for some feedback on my husbandry.

View attachment 275679

About Martin: 9 month old male Ambilobe/Ambanja mix

Enclosure: DIY 36x24x36-
minimum for adult male panther and veiled is 48 in tall, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet deep.

Lights: 100W incandescent dimmed to about 75W and T5HO dual fixtute with 6500K daylight and 6% Arcadia UVB.

Plants: pothos, plantain lily, anglonemia, bromeliad. I still need to add a small plant in the empty pot shown

Feeding: Discoids, Hornworms (1-2 for hydration every day to every other day), red runners (recieved more of them today and will have to wait for them to grow a bit), silkworms, very occasional superworm, and ive started to grab a katydid or two from my yard occasionally.

Great feeding but i wouldn’t get wild bugs. They could be in grass with pesticides and or the bug has parasites.

Gutload: typically rotate with whatever vegetables i have. Sweet potatoes, carrot, collard greens, squash, apple cores, dandelion greens occasionally, and bee pollen. I will also sometimes sprinkle some repashy superload on the veggies

Looks good. You can also use Repashy Bug burger.

Handling: maybe once to twice a week if he seems like he wants out of his enclosure and to get some natural sunlight for a few minutes.

Hydration: mistking that mists a couple times over night and once right before lights on. Little dripper throughout the day probably every other day or so. Hornworms 1-2 daily or every other day when I have them.

Fecal and urates: always white urates and normal looking poo

Let me know if i forgot a category as I did this on my phone and didn't have the form copied over.

You just forgot humidity and temps is all i believe

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: ajs
Supplementation: Calcium everyday and Repashy LoD twice a month

Volume comparison:

2x2x4 = 16 ft^3
3x2x3 = 18 ft^3

I didnt notice him using as much of his vertical space in his previous enclosure, so i thought a wider vs taller setup would suit him better. Even now I only see him utilize a relatively small portion of the height of his cage. But he seems to make use of the width quite frequently.

However, if it is strongly recommended by many to give him more vertical space i will look into adding some to his current enclosure.

Basking temperature: ~85F (due for a check as this was tested probably a couple months ago)

Ambient temperature: 77-79F usually (my girlfriend keeps our house quite warm)

Humidity levels: typically around 50-60%. I will sometimes run a humidifier during the night to get them around 70% but it is hard to increase it a lot due to the nature of the room his enclosure is in

Supplementation: Calcium everyday and Repashy LoD twice a month

Volume comparison:

2x2x4 = 16 ft^3
3x2x3 = 18 ft^3

I didnt notice him using as much of his vertical space in his previous enclosure, so i thought a wider vs taller setup would suit him better. Even now I only see him utilize a relatively small portion of the height of his cage. But he seems to make use of the width quite frequently.

However, if it is strongly recommended by many to give him more vertical space i will look into adding some to his current enclosure.

Basking temperature: ~85F (due for a check as this was tested probably a couple months ago)

Ambient temperature: 77-79F usually (my girlfriend keeps our house quite warm)

Humidity levels: typically around 50-60%. I will sometimes run a humidifier during the night to get them around 70% but it is hard to increase it a lot due to the nature of the room his enclosure is in
I guess your way of looking at the space makes sense. I'm just repeating what I've learned lol. But if that set up works for you then by all means. I do see my cham moving more side to side than up and down as well, which is why I want to get him the dragon strand atrium.

Reactions: ajs
Back
Top Bottom