Husbandry Advice?

Battlelore03

I got my first chameleon about 1 1/2 months ago and still haven't seen him shed. I already posted about it but I figured I could post all my husbandry and see if anyone can critique it.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 7 Month old Panther Chameleon
  • Handling - Preferably once a week
  • Feeding - 7 crickets daily gut-loaded with Fluker's High Calcium Cricket Diet and Quencher along with Apple slices.
  • Supplements - Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dust crickets with Zoo Med's Repti Calcium Without D3 and every other Monday I dust with Zoo Med's Reptivite With D3
  • Watering - I mist twice a day and make sure to get everything but the chameleon wet. I also use The Big Dripper which doesn't work as well as I would like. Preferably drips once a second. I see him drinking off leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Fecals looked a bit dehydrated but now show very little yellow in urates.
  • History - Stuck shed on head.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18' 18' 36' Screened enclosure.
  • Lighting - Exoterra Daylight basking 50W - Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB. Both on 12 hours a day.
  • Temperature - Basking temp low 80s and bottom temp lower 70s. upper 60s nighttime temp. Zoo Med Digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - No Hydrometer
  • Plants - I have a Gold Capella Schefflera in his enclosure.
  • Placement - In bedroom, fan never used
  • Location - Ohio

Current Problem - Not shedding

Feeding - 7 crickets daily gut-loaded with Fluker's High Calcium Cricket Diet and Quencher along with
Toss both those out and switch to Cricket Crack or Bug burger, both on Amazon.

Supplements - Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dust crickets with Zoo Med's Repti Calcium Without D3 and every other Monday I dust with Zoo Med's Reptivite With D3

Should be supplementing everyday

Cage Type - 18' 18' 36' Screened enclosure

upgrade soon

• Temperature - Basking temp low 80s and bottom temp lower 70s. upper 60s nighttime temp. Zoo Med Digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - No Hydrometer

should be a few degrees higher

Humidity - No Hydrometer
Need one

A 10.0 UVB on a 36” cage? Are you using a solar meter?

I’m using a 5.0 UVB (unfiltered) on a 5 foot tall enclosure and hit my target of 3 on the UVB index, 14” from the basking branch. I have a 10.0 bulb, but it was to strong. Hitting double digits on the UVB index, at the same range.

Last edited:
A 10.0 UVB on a 36” cage? Are you using a solar meter?

I’m using a 5.0 UVB (unfiltered) on a 5 foot tall enclosure and hit my target of 3 on the UVB index, 14” from the basking branch. I have a 10.0 bulb, but it was to strong. Hitting double digits on the UVB index, at the same range.

You said "Unfiltered"?

Even at Arcadia 12% doesn't get to double digits, at 14"s, with screen.
UVI levels.jpg

Last edited:
You said "Unfiltered"?

Even at Arcadia 12% doesn't get to double digits, at 14"s, with screen.

Bill’s example is just that, an example. If you produce the same environment, lights fixtures, reflectors, ambient light (And other variables) in which he measured under, you will get the same readings as he did.

I myself, with the fixtures and reflectors that I use, a ReptiSun 10.0 measures 10 @14” on the Solar Meter 6.5R

Perhaps this is why Bill recommends investing in a meter. But, if you’re not willing to spend $9 on a year supply of quality supplement, I doubt you’ll have purchased your own meter and can only rely on other peoples examples. So I understand your confusion.

Bill’s example is just that, an example. If you produce the same environment, lights fixtures, reflectors, ambient light (And other variables) in which he measured under, you will get the same readings as he did.

I myself, with the fixtures and reflectors that I use, a ReptiSun 10.0 measures 10 @14” on the Solar Meter 6.5R

Perhaps this is why Bill recommends investing in a meter. But, if you’re not willing to spend $9 on a year supply of quality supplement, I doubt you’ll have purchased your own meter and can only rely on other peoples examples. So I understand your confusion.

Lololol. Spending 9 dollars and it being worth 9 dollars are completely different factors bud.

Also "Quality" supplements? How can you make such a claim on a brand new product? Oh because Facebook said so. Yep, okay.

The Reptisun 10.0 in open air, does not produce a reading of 10 UVI@14inches for any test I have seen, including those done by scientists.

I would really love to see photos of you getting said results. What I do or don't have, is irrelevant here, I provided a linkable source, as is custom in scientific discussion.

Your making a statement that is unseen, by any source, so sorry going to have to say I need to see some proof.

You also never answered the question, "Unfiltered?" Meaning what, no screen? Screen doesn't filter, it blocks light, all light not just UV, but I assumed that's what you meant by unfiltered.

BTW, Bills testing was in an open cage, and his screen blocks 35% of light by my own measurements. So therefore not even the stronger, Arcadia 12% bulb would reach 10uvi or more, in an open air environment.

Though if you have any kind of evidence of such a feat, I would love to see it. I'm kind of a lighting guy, and take serious interest in the way we light our Herps.

Last edited:
Well folks, I guess he decided instead to attack my critique of new, untested for long-term, unproven supplementation, and call me a troll.

I guess we won't see that data :(.

Sorry OP for the mini derail.

However he is sort of right, that 10.0 may be a little too strong, can you post a photo of exactly the fixture you have, do you know if it's a T5 or a T8?

Last edited:
Well folks, I guess he decided instead to attack my critique of new, untested for long-term, unproven supplementation, and call me a troll.

However he is sort of right, that 10.0 may be a little too strong, can you post a photo of exactly the fixture you have, do you know if it's a T5 or a T8?
I just looked at my order history on amazon, it’s a reptisun 15w 5.0 T5-Ho UVB Fluorescent Lamp, 12” sorry for the mix up

To the OP, You have the bulb you need. Just keep feeding and your little friend and he will shed when ready. There are a few other resources for information.

Typically I would not spend the time or energy on somebody of your character.

You demanded evidence in the middle of the night when I was not willing to disturb my colony, by changing out the bulb and turning on lights in order to defend myself and my findings. (as if you were somehow important enough that I should snap to it)

It is people like you that are eroding these forums to the point where it has become a never ending stream of impulse buyers with sick and dying animals. And, the ego centric‘s that feed on there cry’s for help.

I myself have been here in one form or another for almost 20 years. I am a listener not a talker. So congratulations on your 2300 posts that you feel somehow validate your expertise. There are plenty of posts about people padding their score to project just that image.

And with that said

I am done with these forms. It is sickening and disappointing what they have become, and I will no longer be a part of it.

Here are the photos that you demanded, but I somehow feel you’ll dismiss them as they conflict with your ego.

A7D2B4AA-5D3E-43A9-8D4D-CEAD6A605BFA.jpeg

BB6813B0-DBFC-45B6-B076-1025663937A5.jpeg

To the OP, You have the bulb you need. Just keep feeding and your little friend and he will shed when ready. There are a few other resources for information.

Typically I would not spend the time or energy on somebody of your character.

You demanded evidence in the middle of the night when I was not willing to disturb my colony, by changing out the bulb and turning on lights in order to defend myself and my findings. (as if you were somehow important enough that I should snap to it)

It is people like you that are eroding these forums to the point where it has become a never ending stream of impulse buyers with sick and dying animals. And, the ego centric‘s that feed on there cry’s for help.

I myself have been here in one form or another for almost 20 years. I am a listener not a talker. So congratulations on your 2300 posts that you feel somehow validate your expertise. There are plenty of posts about people padding their score to project just that image.

And with that said

I am done with these forms. It is sickening and disappointing what they have become, and I will no longer be a part of it.

Here are the photos that you demanded, but I somehow feel you’ll dismiss them as they conflict with your ego.

View attachment 259166
View attachment 259173

? I never demanded seeing it, I simply said I would like to see it.

You are the one that got rude, with someone you know absolutely nothing about. Making completely basis comments about me, who again you know nothing about, what I have, what I dont. Which will be painful obvious to anyone who reads this and knows me.

Its actually extremely rare these days, that I even post in threads such as this one, with these "Impulse buyers" as you say, Maybe you should look through the threads, at the threads that I make :). I usually stay in advanced topics.

Thank you for providing the image, that is quite a high reading from so far, even with open air. We cannot see your fixture, What beam angle of reflector are you working with? It looks like a 180 reflector from the little piece we can? Like a Jumpstart? That would increase the reading, and decrease the beam angle. That is a Dangerous reading even for a bearded dragon, that will be using the fixture in open air environment, and does use a 10.0, usually about that distance. Have you tested more samples? There may be an issue with that bulb, as that reading is out of this world high.

These are open air tests, from Dr. Fran Baines, using an Arcadia 12% bulb, and she gets NO WHERE near 10uvi at 14 inches, with any of the reflectors. (had to convert to image, and attach, the Facebook link doesn't work, apparently outside of FBook)

Zoomeds own Open Air testing, is saying their 10.0 will give you around 3 uvi at 12 inches. https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Choosing-Correct-UVB-Lamp-2018-07.pdf

There is something wrong, with something here. Maybe your Meter, maybe that Bulb, if I were you, I would try to figure out what it is. Your measurements vastly contrast too many others. If that reading was correct, and for every bulb, it would put every beardie in a serious danger zone for 12 hours a day, and there would be a lot of complaints about it.

My Dismissal has nothing to do with my Ego, it has to do with we have a respected Dr. who was part of the team that made that flashy graphic on top of your meter, showing a different result drastically. We have Zoomed themselves, stating that is not possible on their own data sheet.

I have not, and would not ever suggest anyone use a 10.0 T5HO, BTW. So IDK, how I am "pushing these impulse buyers", that you speak of.

You formed your opening statement, on a misreading by you, on a post of mine, that showed you have emotional attachment to a Supplement Product. If anyone is pushing impulse shoppers, it is not me bud. Seems to also be a habit of yours, as you did this very same thing, again with me, a few years back.|

As to "Inflating Post Count" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HA. Most of my posts, are extremely long, detailed, and link ridden. Actually people been trying to get my to simplify posts more, to be less intimidating. I actually quite frequently, have to make 2 posts, as I hit the 10k Character limit.

Also the site, has been a thing since mid 2003, so not 20 years, and you have been a member since late 2011, so a tad longer than me :).

Sorry again OP, for the Derail, I will not discuss this further here. It never belonged here.

Attachments

• Fran light test.jpg
    Fran light test.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Ugh! Stop instigating!

Ugh, I want to pm everyone who participated in this and give some diplomacy lessons. This kind of fight is super unproductive.

I just looked at my order history on amazon, it’s a reptisun 15w 5.0 T5-Ho UVB Fluorescent Lamp, 12” sorry for the mix up
There is no 15watt T5. A 15 watt bulb will be a cfl, and generally not sufficient. This is something to change as soon as you can.

I stand corrected. My apologies to the OP. I have never seen 15watt t5 UVB lights here, just the standard 6400k. My bad.

Ya they are pretty rare, I really never see anyone use them. I have a few of them, for my 18x18 exos for bugs that like UV, thats why I know of them.

? They are in the US, I am US. That was US amazon.

Back
Top Bottom