Humidity problems veiled cham

ReptarChams

Hello everyone so Ive decided to DIY my own screen cage it’s 24 deep 48 wide 48 tall , full screen cage , and I am having trouble keeping humidity above 50% , does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Im

Attachments

• 0DDF9475-8A04-4E21-ABD2-F8412C4106E3.jpeg
    0DDF9475-8A04-4E21-ABD2-F8412C4106E3.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 105
  • BDF15130-929E-43D1-9DAD-1C566A513CA7.jpeg
    BDF15130-929E-43D1-9DAD-1C566A513CA7.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 102
Hello everyone so Ive decided to DIY my own screen cage it’s 24 deep 48 wide 48 tall , full screen cage , and I am having trouble keeping humidity above 50% , does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Im
Have you tried using a fogger? Or a drip system or something? Or try misting it a little more often/longer.

Have you tried using a fogger? Or a drip system or something? Or try misting it a little more often/longer.
I have a fogger running pointed on the bed down below to keep it moist so it can maintain humidity , I have a homemade water bottle dripper up top and I mist for 2 minutes a few times a day so I’m a bit worried , I don’t want to fully enclose the sides until I can get some cork board to build a Bio-Active wall and even then I don’t want my Cham to get respiratory issues ,

I have a fogger running pointed on the bed down below to keep it moist so it can maintain humidity , I have a homemade water bottle dripper up top and I mist for 2 minutes a few times a day so I’m a bit worried , I don’t want to fully enclose the sides until I can get some cork board to build a Bio-Active wall and even then I don’t want my Cham to get respiratory issues ,
Yes, good idea. Better to be safe than sorry!

Enclosing one side won’t harm your chameleon and in fact many people do it in areas that are dryer and needs more humidity to be trap in the enclosure. I’ve even seen some people put two panels on each side of the enclosure and the chameleons are perfectly healthy.

Enclosing one side won’t harm your chameleon and in fact many people do it in areas that are dryer and needs more humidity to be trap in the enclosure. I’ve even seen some people put two panels on each side of the enclosure and the chameleons are perfectly healthy.
Ok I do live in a dry climate area so maybe I would have to close off a few sides , I was just worried it would harm the chameleon, I’ve been struggling to keep humidity above 50 with the lights on at night it goes up to 68-70

Welcome to the forums! Lots of great info here.
I do see some issues with your setup. Please fill this out for me. Be specific as possible, and try not to miss any questions. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Be sure to include lots of pictures of your chameleon.

Ok I do live in a dry climate area so maybe I would have to close off a few sides , I was just worried it would harm the chameleon, I’ve been struggling to keep humidity above 50 with the lights on at night it goes up to 68-70

That's a big airspace to keep humidified and there's almost nothing inside to trap and hold what moisture/droplets you do put into it. A lot more living foliage will make a big difference and be a lot more comfortable for your cham too. The potting soil as well as the leaves will trap and release moisture. Enclosing the sides in something will also help; attach it so you can open or close the cage up as the humidity level in the room changes. It probably will depending on time of year. When you are heating the house in winter it will tend to dry the air out more. If you use AC in summer that will also dry it out. My standby method is clear vinyl shower curtains with the reinforced grommets across the top edge. You can hook/unhook them over and over again. The main thing is to monitor the humidity level carefully and allow the cage to dry out at least daily. You don't need/want constant humidity, you need cycles. FWIW, I had montane chams in high elevation Colorado (house humidity would sit at about 15% if left to itself if I was lucky). Using a combination of live plants, vinyl cage covers, a fogger, and hand misting I could boost the cages to 70% for short periods and it would stabilize at a lower level more of the time.

Just realized this was a veiled. Humidity only needs to be 30-40% for them during the day. 70-100 at night.
Ok so I’ve been going crazy over this because I don’t want the little guy to be uncomfortable, I have 3 hanging plants I’m going to add but I’m housing then in a “quarantine” style set up to make sure they are clean as I got them from a random store , I’ve made some adjustments and the humidity is now sitting at 60, I’m just worried it’s day 2 and he hasn’t touched his crickets I have set up a meal cup and a dome type feeder so they can’t escape but he won’t eat them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 78
Don't stress too much. Give him time to adjust to his new environment. The added plants/hiding spots should help him relax, in my opinion, for that small cham in that currently large open space. When he feels safe, he will eat.

You absokutely do NOT need to raise yiur humidity above 50% at daytime, in the wild, they are used to humidity lebels even under 20%! Beware that keeping high humidity at high temperatures is a clear precursor if RI especially in not well ventilated space.

the nighttime humidity should however be high and reach levels above 90%, for which the fogger is the best solution. The fog stream
Should be directed directly to the cage

Hour cage needs kots of adjustments!
Remove okease the mossy vines, they are kife threatening fir the chamelekns,
Can cause from mycoses on siles to constipation after intentional or accidental digestion

the cage needs a network of thin branches and living okants and nit being so eoty

I cut a cheap shower curtain liner to the size of my cages and covered the back and sides of my enclosures.
Between this, my MISTKING and potted plants. Things are better humidity wise.
This is also good for keeping out drafts in an air conditioned room.

Attachments

• 20200214_103259.jpg
    20200214_103259.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200214_103054.jpg
    20200214_103054.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom