How's my setup?

Zaphoid

Hey All, I had finally purchased my first panther chameleon on Sat, after building up the necessary supplies for a few months. Here's what I have so far;

Chameleon
Young Ambilobe panther chameleon "Pascal"

Cage:
I live in Canada so I was told to go Glass Exo Terra 18x18x24 till 4-6 months.
Some plantation soil in pots for the plants & a brick of it in the corner to soak up any pools of water. Paper towels cover the rest of the tank.
Cage is in a low traffic area.

Plants
-Pothos
-Ficus
-Schefflera
-bamboo
(Plus fake vines/ivy)

Lighting:
75W daylight basking light Exo Terra
26W UVB 100 (5.0) Exo terra
50W Night Heat Lamp Exo terra (For winter just in case)
Lights on from 7am to 8pm

Temperature & Humidity
1)Spray bottle (Once in the morning and afternoon covering the cage with raindrops)
2)Repti Mist (every 3h for 45 sec)
3)Dripper (only during long periods away from the tank)

Using a digital thermo/hydro-meter I had mapped out the temperature and humidity during the day/night.

Basking spot = 28 to 30(°C) and 60%-20% [From misting sessions]
Day/Cool area= 22 to 27 (°C) and 80%-45% [From misting sessions]
Night time = 20 to 24 (°C) and 50-60%

Food
Gut loaded crickets (toss 5-8 in the tank as well as 5-8 in a cup)
Herptivite w/ beta carotene (small dusting every other day)
Multi vitamin exo terra (every other week as per dosage instructions)

There is a bit of hanging skin on the lil-guy/gal's foot, I was able to cut 3/4 of it off without getting to close to the foot but it's not falling off as of 3 days ago. Should I be worried?

Thanks for any advice!
-Z

Attachments

• cham1.jpg
    cham1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 111
  • cham2.jpg
    cham2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 125
  • cham3.jpg
    cham3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 170
Def needs a screen cage. Also humidity should not get that low. If the temps every get too low you need a ceramic heat emitter.

I like the setup, it's very aesthetically pleasing but your chameleon's health should come first. For now it would do but as he gets older he will need a screen cage to maximize ventilation. You can close off 2 sides in order to retain humidity but most of he enclosure should be screen otherwise you might suffer from stagnant air and respiratory infections which is a pain both for you and your chameleon.

Also a drainage system will help in order to allow the enclosure to dry properly before the next misting. Leaving pools of water around will chill your chameleon and also provide a good habitat for bacteria and other nasties to grow

Back
Top Bottom