How to train chameleon to be less scared of you

Hi all,

I have a baby panther chameleon that is about 4 months old. He's doing really well and eating a lot, but I find he is afraid of my hand and especially the spray bottle. I know that over time chameleons become more accustomed to you, and that this can be achieved by having them grab a bug off your hand. However, I was wondering if anyone had any specific tips/tricks or advice on how to make your chameleon understand you're not a 'scary' thing.

*also, my chameleon does not like being sprayed with water (he runs away super fast when his tank is sprayed), anyone else's cham like this?

Yes some chams HATE mistings, others love it. Mine is both, i think it depends on how he feels? but you should search the forums, there are MANY threads on this already. Feeding is the MAIN and imo the best way to bond and build that trust. It takes time and ALOT of patience, never rush or force him. I hope he comes around! I would highly recomend varying your feeders, this may help stimulate him and just in genral a good thing to do?

Attachments

• JPEG image 2.jpeg
    JPEG image 2.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 63
  • D2B5D8FF-EEC2-4823-8B21-5325C444178E.jpeg
    D2B5D8FF-EEC2-4823-8B21-5325C444178E.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 64
Yeah, he always books it when he sees the spray bottle ? I use a feeder cup, so once he sees that he isn't afraid, but he has yet to understand my hand also means food. He's still a little guy so varying his food right now is hard, cause he can't eat roaches or superworms or anything bigger than a half inch cricket:/ I was gonna grab a couple wax worms as a treat tho, so ill hand feed him then:)

Many chams don’t like being misted directly. (Can you blame them? :) ) Mist around your cham...just the plant leaves. If he wants a shower, he has the option to go into it.
For building trust, this is a great blog.https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Silkworms, black soilder fly larvae, bottle spikes, hornworms, mantis... there are litteraly TONS of different things you can feed him... yes you should move very slow, below and from behind, NEVER above. They are alot like cats, where as they are most comfortable perched high above everyone/thing.

Silkworms, black soilder fly larvae, bottle spikes, hornworms, mantis... there are litteraly TONS of different things you can feed him... yes you should move very slow, below and from behind, NEVER above. They are alot like cats, where as they are most comfortable perched high above everyone/thing.
Yeah, im heading over to my local pet shop after work so ill see what they have in store. I always move slow and from below as well, I don't want him to think my hand is some weird looking bird haha

Back
Top Bottom