How to properly disinfect branches found in the wild?

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
What different processes do you all go through to ensure the branches you find outside are free of parasite, random bugs, pesticides, etc, and appropriate for use in your enclosures?
I want to start getting ready to upgrade my enclosure so need ideas!

What different processes do you all go through to ensure the branches you find outside are free of parasite, random bugs, pesticides, etc, and appropriate for use in your enclosures?
I want to start getting ready to upgrade my enclosure so need ideas!
I litteraly just let them dry out for a day or two. I know we want to put our chameleons in this little bubble so they never get hurt, but let's think for a second. Our chameleons are from Madagascar... Our trees are from North America. Nothing here has evolved to attack and hurt our chameleons. Plus what do wild chameleons walk and live on? That's right wild trees!

I litteraly just let them dry out for a day or two. I know we want to put our chameleons in this little bubble so they never get hurt, but let's think for a second. Our chameleons are from Madagascar... Our trees are from North America. Nothing here has evolved to attack and hurt our chameleons. Plus what do wild chameleons walk and live on? That's right wild trees!
All of my babies live in bubbles! They must not be harmed by this cruel world! Except any future human babies, those I'll let run through the forest bare foot, they will be fine I'm sure

It's personal preference and comfort. I know some people go as far as to de bark their branches to avoid pests , I fall in the middle of the spectrum of clean it to death or leave it natural. I try to file off any rough or sharp spots to avoid injury and normally bake them to make sure there isn't any sap or critters left over. One time I used a brick pizza oven that was like 700 ° This was probably Overkill but I've never kept a chameleon before and wanted to be as natural of an enclosure as I can so I opted for live plants and real branches . And it only takes a few mins to wash or clean them and a day to dry them. A minor investment of time for peace of mind. I would hate for my Cham to suffer because I didn't wash something. As unlikely as that may be

It's personal preference and comfort. I know some people go as far as to de bark their branches to avoid pests , I fall in the middle of the spectrum of clean it to death or leave it natural. I try to file off any rough or sharp spots to avoid injury and normally bake them to make sure there isn't any sap or critters left over. One time I used a brick pizza over that was like 700 ° This was probably Overkill but I've never kept a chameleon before and wanted to be as natural of an enclosure as I can . And it only takes a few mins to wash or clean them and a day to dry them. A minor investment of time for peace of mind. I would hate for my Cham to suffer because I didn't wash something. As unlikely as that may be
That's pretty much where my mind is. I'm a first time owner and I would rather be wayyyy safe than sorry! Just like a coddled first born lol

That's pretty much where my mind is. I'm a first time owner and I would rather be wayyyy safe than sorry! Just like a coddled first born lol
I worry more about spiders or mites lurking in a branch from outside than anything else. I see the black soldier flys land on my guys head every now and then and he barely reacts so if it were a bug that could bite him I'll take the time to BBQ them before putting it in the enclosure

My oldest is 18 the other 2 are 3 and 2. All boys. My only real concerns are how much blood are you leaking now and do you need to go on concussion protocol?
Ahhh so you know the thrill of boys lol my mom only raised girl and yells at me to control my son and I look at her and say “ you can not tame the dragon” mine has a helmet he likes to wear. We call him the space cowboy

Ahhh so you know the thrill of boys lol my mom only raised girl and yells at me to control my son and I look at her and say “ you can not tame the dragon” mine has a helmet he likes to wear. We call him the space cowboy
The 2 yr old is getting a helmet. He runs like a drunkard and bangs his head around. I was a medic in the Army and I wore my darn kevlar everywhere. It wont hurt him to join the club for a bit! I just need to by a cup to protect against headbutts!!

Back
Top Bottom