How to keep a black soldier fly larvae in your bowl

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
hi I am feeding my chameleon black soldier fly larvae and they’re escaping a crawling out of a bowl all the time. I have a little plastic birdfeeder that can hook onto the Dragon strand ledges and I would like to know anyway I can keep them in the bowl without them escaping. Because I don’t know how much is eating or if he is eating any at all.

hi I am feeding my chameleon black soldier fly larvae and they’re escaping a crawling out of a bowl all the time. I have a little plastic birdfeeder that can hook onto the Dragon strand ledges and I would like to know anyway I can keep them in the bowl without them escaping. Because I don’t know how much is eating or if he is eating any at all.
Just get a big tub

BSFL are spiderman when they get wet. Make sure they are totally dry and they should not be able to crawl out. If the mister / misting system hits them before they are eaten they will get wet and worm their way out.
Great minds think alike. :LOL:

I use one of these...I hold it but you can modify it to stay in your enclosure. For my slow and shy eater, the shooting gallery is the answer to my prayers. https://tkchameleons.com/
B5E30187-FFBC-4E42-9C79-E82C320FADC4.jpeg

I use one of these...I hold it but you can modify it to stay in your enclosure. For my slow and shy eater, the shooting gallery is the answer to my prayers. https://tkchameleons.com/
View attachment 272101
Mushu was afraid of his shooting gallery! He would only eat the escaped bugs...which as you can imagine were few and far between. So I had to switch it to a fullthrottle feeder. But the crickets stack up and hop off eachothers backs at the top, and they can hop out way easier...

Im having a heck of a time,finding a good feeder run for Mushu specifically.

Spring is easy compared to my little man.

Mushu was afraid of his shooting gallery! He would only eat the escaped bugs...which as you can imagine were few and far between. So I had to switch it to a fullthrottle feeder. But the crickets stack up and hop off eachothers backs at the top, and they can hop out way easier...

Why do they have to be so picky :hilarious:

BSFL are spiderman when they get wet. Make sure they are totally dry and they should not be able to crawl out. If the mister / misting system hits them before they are eaten they will get wet and worm their way out.
lol, it took me a little bit to figure this out. One day I went down to check on Ezekiel and I could see tracks going along my front glass doors. After my morning mister went off a few got wet and escaped and went for a tour of my enclosure.

Aww...poor Mushu. Hammlet loves his. He actually waits in front of it sometimes. I suspect he thinks bugs will magically appear.

I have to shoo my girls out of the shooting gallery so I can put the bugs in it. My wild caught male quickly took to it but he just shoots into it from a branch I've never found him in it.

High heat will kill bsfl, I got a shipment of 1,000 last month lifted the lid, gag barf, smelled so bad!!! Room temp is just fine, they use moisture to crawl up plastic and glass

Back
Top Bottom