How to hang T5 12% uvb light

Hmm bill strand and Arcadia’s website say different. Is there something I’m missing? I got a 22 inch t5 12% putting it on cage would be way to much uvb for that small of a cage I’m assuming. Gotta realize I’m talking about a 30 inch tall cage
I’m sorry I misspoke I meant 6-9 inches from basking spot not top of cage I apologize

So I am guessing your fixture does not have the legs that you can add on... As Camo said what I have seen is either that or they build a frame out of pvc and attach it to that above the cage. :)

Hmm bill strand and Arcadia’s website say different. Is there something I’m missing? I got a 22 inch t5 12% putting it on cage would be way to much uvb for that small of a cage I’m assuming. Gotta realize I’m talking about a 30 inch tall cage
Ok please know with arcadia's website this is the distance without a screen top.... They do not give distance based on the screen top because screen tops vary in how much uvb blocking it will do. So do not follow what they are saying. Because your levels will not be a 3-4 uvi if you go by the distance they are saying due to it being based on without screen.

Here are my UVI readings with my set up. Yours will be different based on what your using.

Measurement is from screen down and the UVI level that coordinates with it. With a quad T5HO fixture and a 12% Arcadia UVB bulb on a Dragon Strand Enclosure.…

3 inches = 4.5 UVI
4 inches = 3.8 UVI
5 inches = 3.0 UVI
6 inches = 2.5 UVI
7 inches = 2.1 UVI
8 inches = 1.8 UVI
9 inches = 1.4 UVI
10 inches = 1.2 UVI
11 inches = 1.0 UVI
12 inches = 0.8 UVI
15 inches = 0.01 UVI to nothing

I got an Arcadia T5 12% bulb for my 4 foot tall cage but as of right now I only have my medium cage as he’s a baby I’m going to set up my big cage nicely before switching him but In the meantime I want to get rid of this crappy chameleon kit uv bulb and was recommended I just hang the t5 6 to 9 inches above the cage. My only problem is how to do this? I was thinking maybe a hanging plant holder on my ceiling but that would only give it one point of contact and idk if the light would swing.
Distance is not what you need to worry about. Get yourself a Solarmeter. You dont want that meters number to be above 5 uvi. A range is good. 3-4 throughout the cage. Too little = MBD , too high =cooked cham. But again hanging it shouldnt be your primary concern, how much uv your chame is getting should be the concern. If you have a reptibreeze screen top generally the linear bulb will filter out a significant portion and you should be getting around 3-5 uvi. If you hang the uvb linear t5 ho 12% with a screen top chances are your cham may not get enough uvb.

Distance is not what you need to worry about. Get yourself a Solarmeter. You dont want that meters number to be above 5 uvi. A range is good. 3-4 throughout the cage. Too little = MBD , too high =cooked cham. But again hanging it shouldnt be your primary concern, how much uv your chame is getting should be the concern. If you have a reptibreeze screen top generally the linear bulb will filter out a significant portion and you should be getting around 3-5 uvi. If you hang the uvb linear t5 ho 12% with a screen top chances are your cham may not get enough uvb.
Yah that’s what I did I just set it aside and ordered my solar meter this morning, figured one more day with that stupid chameleon kit bulb is better than burning him with this one. Appreciate all the advice

Here are my UVI readings with my set up. Yours will be different based on what your using.

Measurement is from screen down and the UVI level that coordinates with it. With a quad T5HO fixture and a 12% Arcadia UVB bulb on a Dragon Strand Enclosure.…

3 inches = 4.5 UVI
4 inches = 3.8 UVI
5 inches = 3.0 UVI
6 inches = 2.5 UVI
7 inches = 2.1 UVI
8 inches = 1.8 UVI
9 inches = 1.4 UVI
10 inches = 1.2 UVI
11 inches = 1.0 UVI
12 inches = 0.8 UVI
Your a god beman thanks that’s useful info even though yes it may be a bit different. I have a standard reptibreeze cage so idk if that’s the same screen your using. But my solar meter will be here tomorrow so that will make it easy

Your a god beman thanks that’s useful info even though yes it may be a bit different. I have a standard reptibreeze cage so idk if that’s the same screen your using. But my solar meter will be here tomorrow so that will make it easy
LOL well I don't know about that but I am happy to help. So the screen cages are pretty close but from what I have read they can differ with some material blocking 30% and some 40%.
Where you really get the differences is in fixture type, how many bulbs are in it, and what type of bulbs... As well as a new UVB bulb vs one that is 6 months old. So it is one of those things where I just don't like saying oh do this in case yours is not like mine.
So I am really happy you got the solarmeter! Test it when after the bulbs have had a chance to warm up. :)

Yahc
LOL well I don't know about that but I am happy to help. So the screen cages are pretty close but from what I have read they can differ with some material blocking 30% and some 40%.
Where you really get the differences is in fixture type, how many bulbs are in it, and what type of bulbs... As well as a new UVB bulb vs one that is 6 months old. So it is one of those things where I just don't like saying oh do this in case yours is not like mine.
So I am really happy you got the solarmeter! Test it when after the bulbs have had a chance to warm up. :)
yah I’m going to order the quad fixture eventually for my 4 foot but at the time I ordered this one I thought that this was what I wanted, so I got just a single fixture reflecter and a 22 inch t5 bulb from reptile basics. I wanted to order it from lightyourreptiles.com but they were sold out.

Yahc

yah I’m going to order the quad fixture eventually for my 4 foot but at the time I ordered this one I thought that this was what I wanted, so I got just a single fixture reflecter and a 22 inch t5 bulb from reptile basics. I wanted to order it from lightyourreptiles.com but they were sold out.
Perfect so yeah I would wait until you have the solarmeter and double check. Your levels should be different according to what I have read since you will have one bulb. :)

I got an Arcadia T5 12% bulb for my 4 foot tall cage but as of right now I only have my medium cage as he’s a baby I’m going to set up my big cage nicely before switching him but In the meantime I want to get rid of this crappy chameleon kit uv bulb and was recommended I just hang the t5 6 to 9 inches above the cage. My only problem is how to do this? I was thinking maybe a hanging plant holder on my ceiling but that would only give it one point of contact and idk if the light would swing.
Just wanted to post an update, my t5 12% Arcadia bulb ended up needing to be 10 inches off the top of my reptibreeze cage with his basking spot 5 1/2 inches from the top to maintain a 2.7 uvb rating. So it was pretty high up there

Attachments

• 3F233447-BC72-4C04-BB7F-023F3FC2279D.jpeg
    3F233447-BC72-4C04-BB7F-023F3FC2279D.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 213

3 inches = 4.5 UVI
4 inches = 3.8 UVI
5 inches = 3.0 UVI
6 inches = 2.5 UVI
7 inches = 2.1 UVI
8 inches = 1.8 UVI
9 inches = 1.4 UVI
10 inches = 1.2 UVI
11 inches = 1.0 UVI
12 inches = 0.8 UVI

What does your meter measure outside, and what conditions?

My 12% without screen can activate UV cure epoxy that requires UVI 6 or above, 8" away from the bulb.

What does your meter measure outside, and what conditions?

My 12% without screen can activate UV cure epoxy that requires UVI 6 or above, 8" away from the bulb.
Getting a 1.9 outside I’m in Washington state semi nice day few clouds but it’s a brand new solar meter 6.5 I didn’t buy a cheap one. Also single bulb reflector that might make little brighter idk.

Maybe not that graphic but bill does and if you listen to the chameleon breeder podcast they have John from Arcadia on and he explained exactly the same info. I mean I’m getting a solar meter tomorrow so I’ll know where to put it I just need advice on how to raise it if need be no one really answered that lol
I needed a way to hang my heat bulb, and didn't want to drill holes on the ceiling or wall. I got a wrought iron banner hanger from Ace Hardware, and extended the pole height by adding on an old standing lamp base. Hard to visualize, I realize. But you can rig something up like this without too much trouble. Two points of contact can be achieved because the banner holder is about 14" wide and will accommodate two chains or bungees for each end of your fixture.

Getting a 1.9 outside I’m in Washington state semi nice day few clouds but it’s a brand new solar meter 6.5 I didn’t buy a cheap one. Also single bulb reflector that might make little brighter idk.
Yah this is why. Mine is a single bulb reflector puts off a lot more uvb than a multiple bulb reflector. This is the problem and why we were having differences of opinions.

Back
Top Bottom