How high should the branches go?

Zebenox

I have a male veiled chameleon. I'm finishing up his new enclosure this weekend but I need to know how far away from the lighting his branches should go. He's about 8 months old moving into 46"Hx 35" W x 17D piece of furniture (with sides/top cut out replaced with screen). New misting system, better drainage, easier to clean, more live plants, just all around better than what he's had the last 6 months. I've got an arcadia 6% 36" long bulb but how close is too close? Do I have to worry more about his cask hitting the top than him getting too close to the UV? Is a foot enough room? Too much? The way the piece of furniture is, even if he's hitting the top of the cage the light would be about 4 inches higher as it cannot sit right on the screen top.

I believe a 6% should be about 9". What about it @Beman

That shoul
Yes, if it is a 6% in a T5HO single bulb fixture placed directly on the cage top then you want basking branch to be 9 inches down.

Okay just to clarify the branches themselves should be 9inches down so his body would actually be closer? Or should I leave space for his body to be 9 inches down? It's mostly for the main horizontal branch I'm concerned with. I'll have other smaller branches going up into the corners it would just be more indirect there.

That shoul

Okay just to clarify the branches themselves should be 9inches down so his body would actually be closer? Or should I leave space for his body to be 9 inches down? It's mostly for the main horizontal branch I'm concerned with. I'll have other smaller branches going up into the corners it would just be more indirect there.
Your UVB exposure is basically the path directly below the bulb. So you want a horizontal that is below the fixture 9 inches down that runs the path of the fixture on the top. He will rise a bit higher but that is perfectly fine and still in "safe" UVI levels. If the other branches are vertical and not under the UVB then their exposure will be extremely low. So no need to worry about those. This link fully explains it :) https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

Back
Top Bottom