How does he look?

Laekyloo

Hey everyone! I have a veiled chameleon. He is probably 4 months old. I’m not too sure because I got him from petco and they weren’t exactly sure how old. Anyways, I wanted to post a picture of him to see what y’all thought. His throat looks like it sags. I’ll post a picture so you can see what I’m talking about. Let me know how he looks to y’all and what you think!! Thanks:)

Attachments

• DED5D600-1128-4D92-81AF-D69C5CD4B9E3.jpeg
    DED5D600-1128-4D92-81AF-D69C5CD4B9E3.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 73
  • B1B601C8-ACCA-42B9-8A4B-05376DC54A76.jpeg
    B1B601C8-ACCA-42B9-8A4B-05376DC54A76.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 72
Hey everyone! I have a veiled chameleon. He is probably 4 months old. I’m not too sure because I got him from petco and they weren’t exactly sure how old. Anyways, I wanted to post a picture of him to see what y’all thought. His throat looks like it sags. I’ll post a picture so you can see what I’m talking about. Let me know how he looks to y’all and what you think!! Thanks:)
Welcome... I am not 100% sure you have a male. Any pictures of the back feet? throat is normal. :) We are looking for tarsal spurs on the back feet. And since you got him from petco if you would like to fill out this form we can make sure they gave you all the correct information, equipment, and supplies.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome... I am not 100% sure you have a male. Any pictures of the back feet? throat is normal. :) We are looking for tarsal spurs on the back feet. And since you got him from petco if you would like to fill out this form we can make sure they gave you all the correct information, equipment, and supplies.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Okay I will fill that out! Right now he/she is in the basking area and is keeping his mouth open. I haven’t seen him do this yet?

Last edited:
Okay I will fill that out! Right not he/she is in the basking area and is keeping his mouth open. I haven’t seen him do this yet?
Here is pictures of his feet and also gaping. The temp at basking is 93. I just got a new bulb. Maybe this one is too hot?

Attachments

• A61B5E3C-0A03-4B0E-AD17-E71B773A7D6B.jpeg
    A61B5E3C-0A03-4B0E-AD17-E71B773A7D6B.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 78
  • AAC6DE89-A1A9-42B8-B978-3E0932C11FF0.jpeg
    AAC6DE89-A1A9-42B8-B978-3E0932C11FF0.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 79A84D59-7BC1-4F68-99D3-633AB4E22AD3.jpeg
    79A84D59-7BC1-4F68-99D3-633AB4E22AD3.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 80
  • F8BEC664-E696-423F-82F5-8FE7A7AC571E.jpeg
    F8BEC664-E696-423F-82F5-8FE7A7AC571E.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 66
Female
Sexual dimorphism in Chamaeleo calyptratus alias

Sexing Yemen chameleons

In the Yemen chameleons, the sexes differ in many features from each other. They show the s.c. Primary sexual dimorphism, which is expressed through

the presence of sexual glands (testes with ductus deferens in males and ovaries with oviducts in females) and copulatory organs (hemipenes in males, hemiclitoris in females).

The problem for sexing animals is, that some of these organs (first group) are situated in the body cavity and some (the second group) in special pockets at the base if the tail, none of them are invisible from outside. There is a technique how to evert the hemipenis, but in young animals and in animals which are dehydrated, old or out of breeding season, it does not work reliably, plus, it might be painful for the animal and is definitely rather stressful, especially if done by an inexperienced owner, therefore not recommended.

Fortunately, there are several Secondary sexual characteristics, that allow us to define the sex rather reliably, especially in adult animals:

SIZE The males are much bigger than the females, they can reach up to 30in / 19in resp, usually stay much smaller

BODY PROPORTIONS The females are built more slender with smaller heads

TAIL BASE Due to the presence of male copulatory organs, hemipenes, the tail base behind cloacal is thicker/swollen in males

TARSAL SPUR Males have a prominent knob-like protuberance on the heels, while female lack them. This characteristic is is well

Visible from hatchlings already. Through inbreeding and improper incubation temperatures and regime, however, we can see more and more females with differently developed spurs as well as males with small or lacking spurs.

CASQUE The casque in males is much higher than in females. Through mistakes in incubation and after sterilization, some females can grow very high casques and resemble a fully developed casque of males.

DORSAL CREST The conical scales on the dorsal crest are relatively much bigger in males

GULAR CREST The conical scales on the gular crest are relatively much bigger in males, plus they are usually orange in males and white in females

COLORATION The general pattern is in both sexes same, however due the ability to change the color, some skin areas melt in color with each other. The diagnostic features are: orange spots on the flanks possess only females while bright yellow transversal bands on the flanks are confined to males only.

For reliable sex determination, all aspects need to be taken in consideration. In doubt, ask experienced colleagues in for assistance.

Other species of chameleons possess same primary but partly or fully different secondary sexual characteristics...

The left column relates always to male, the right to females

They show the differences(top down) in:

Table 1:

General habitus

Head form and casques relative size Tarsal spurs

Table 2: Gular crest Tail base Dorsal crest

Here is pictures of his feet and also gaping. The temp at basking is 93. I just got a new bulb. Maybe this one is too hot?
Way to hot... Needs to be 83 at basking for her. This is why she is gaping. Lift the lamp or drop the bulb wattage. Fill out the form and we can review everything with you for her. With it being a female you will have to read up on egg laying and lay bins for her. They lay infertile eggs like chickens do.

Oh yay so what do I need to do to make things better for her? I’m sorry, I am brand new and I’m trying the best I can!

Fill out the How To Ask For Help form that Beman posted above in as much detail as you can. Please post photos of your entire setup -- no such thing as too much or too detailed information here.

Gaping is because the basking spot is too hot -- and if there is any popping or other noises when she is gaping -- she may have respiratory issues and need a vet.

The form is the best place to start and Beman and Brody are rock star keepers -- they're good guides -- and read up on lay bins.

Way to hot... Needs to be 83 at basking for her. This is why she is gaping. Lift the lamp or drop the bulb wattage. Fill out the form and we can review everything with you for her. With it being a female you will have to read up on egg laying and lay bins for her. They lay infertile eggs like chickens do.
I guess I’ll have to change his name from Rango to a more feminine name since he is now a she. I am on my way to work. As soon as I get home tonight I will fill it out. Thank you thus far for the help!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

You'll need to make sure you have a proper laying bin set up within the next few months. Anytime after around 6 months old females will become sexually mature and start producing infertile eggs.

Here is a caresheet which should be read over and used as a guide for your basic husbandry: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Once we have the help form filled out from you we can help you fine tune your care to make sure your little scaley girl stays healthy and happy!

Back
Top Bottom