How do you withstand this?

Like already said, it’s finding the right information. I had the same problems, and even worst I did heavily my research and thought I was ready for it and had everything right, until I found the forum. Females laying infertile eggs, a laying bin, egg bound 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
No website, even those from the pet stores, did not informed a keeper about this. Even more worst, I bought my chameleon from an official reptile store, and no one informed me about this very, very imported care detail. Shamefully!!

I find it very sad to see chameleons suffering especially the veileds because they are very special to me. I’ve got to where I can’t even open some of the threads after seeing the titles. However, I find the forums a much better place to research and there’s more experienced keepers here than other online groups. I am horrified at some of the things I see on the Face Book chameleon groups and have left most of them.

There’s allot of ways to keep chameleons that work. I think it depends on the experience of the keeper, your location and the species of chameleons you keep. What works well for one might not work well for someone else. I think the experience keepers should just try to get the basic info to the new keeper. What the new keeper needs to get off to a good start with their chameleon. As they become more experienced they can tweak things to their own chameleons needs. For instance if they live in a climate where the chameleon gets allot of outside time, they don’t needs UVB lights and supplements or at least not many. I think allot of keepers over supplement and my vets also believe to much artificial UVB can be bad.

Last edited:
Lol when I decided to get a cham nov 2019. If some one had said reverse osmosis, nematodes, sundew,cuc,dear boy etc etc etc. Ps do you have an overdraft iwould have said either stop taking drugs or start. I have learned so much thanks to this forum directly and indirectly and from its devoted members. Thank you .

Remember, also, that the chameleonacademy.com method is not the only way. The breeder I got my panthers from has a wc male Ambilobe (my male’s sire) who is currently 6, and has been raised on only crickets, a coil uvb bulb and weekly d3 supplements. No MBD, and he is incredible- crazy colours, and 18 inches long. I have never said a word against his care, since it’s working. If he ever has issues, I will direct him to this site.

I do not believe in there being “the only way to raise a chameleon”. While many things do not work, and Bill Strand’s method is prominent to us on the forums, I believe we should be open- minded to some ideas other than the chameleon academy ‘s.

That being said, it can be frustrating when faced with clueless keepers. I have enjoyed helping and being helped out throughout the past year. I believe that being a part of this forum, and being patient with those on it is the best thing I can do for these animals. Keep informing, reading, learning, growing and sharing. It’s what this forum is for.
Chameleon Academy is not a "way". You'll find it is more about an understanding of what you are doing. Once you have an understanding of how supplements or UVB works you can get beyond the level of "get this bulb" and personalize it for your situation. By understanding the balance between dietary D3 and UVB you can see how a chameleon can be raised healthy with dietary D3 supplementation and a weak UVB bulb or with no dietary D3 and an effective UVB level. And that is what the website is all about.
The examples I give there are only my suggestions as to the most effective implementations of the information. Not everyone wants to read through the 100+ pages of information there. But if someone did comb through it all, they would find nothing on the website that would say what your breeder is doing is "incorrect". They would come away understanding why it is working.

Chameleon Academy is not a "way". You'll find it is more about an understanding of what you are doing. Once you have an understanding of how supplements or UVB works you can get beyond the level of "get this bulb" and personalize it for your situation. By understanding the balance between dietary D3 and UVB you can see how a chameleon can be raised healthy with dietary D3 supplementation and a weak UVB bulb or with no dietary D3 and an effective UVB level. And that is what the website is all about.
The examples I give there are only my suggestions as to the most effective implementations of the information. Not everyone wants to read through the 100+ pages of information there. But if someone did comb through it all, they would find nothing on the website that would say what your breeder is doing is "incorrect". They would come away understanding why it is working.
I agree with what your site is about. I have only skimmed most of the pages, but from how other forum members act some think there is one way. I also agree with Klyde O’Scope, there is a difference between intention and perception. I did not mean anything against your site or your methods, only that some members are rather rigid in their ideas of proper husbandry.

The thing I love about keeping chams is how you need to learn, and understand their needs rather than blindly follow a method. I should have worded my post better, instead saying something more like the recommended method.

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with what your site is about. I have only skimmed most of the pages, but from how other forum members act some think there is one way. I also agree with Klyde O’Scope, there is a difference between intention and perception. I did not mean anything against your site or your methods, only that some members are rather rigid in their ideas of proper husbandry.

The thing I love about keeping chams is how you need to learn, and understand their needs rather than blindly follow a method. I should have worded my post better, instead saying something more like the recommended method.

Thank you for your reply.
I understand what you are saying sometimes I was told /advised on matters ( like this is the way and how could you be doing or not doing this way ) and I had to hold steadfast to my gut instinct or I would have done some unnecessary things

In answer to how I stand this. I know this forum makes a difference. I know you can't save them all and you will never know all that you contribute to saving. The information left here is read daily by folks that only lurk and never join. There are 146 "guests" searching on here right now.
When that isn't enough I reread this blog. For some weird reason it cheers me up. Kindred spirit perhaps.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/biggest-forum-pet-peeve.420/

In answer to how I stand this. I know this forum makes a difference. I know you can't save them all and you will never know all that you contribute to saving. The information left here is read daily by folks that only lurk and never join. There are 146 "guests" searching on here right now.
When that isn't enough I reread this blog. For some weird reason it cheers me up. Kindred spirit perhaps.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/biggest-forum-pet-peeve.420/
Gonna read it tonight 👌🏻

It is extremely frustrating every time you see people family parents/ kids buying the chameleon kit then coming on here to be told that most is wrong and now they have to find extra money they hadn't bargained for ( I don't know why zoo med sells this when being a big company they don't need to ) sure prospective buyers should do their homework but even some books and sites don't fully make things clear. So there is fault on lots of sides. I'm glad I joined this forum as it has helped me make more informed decisions and would definitely recommend that people join this as all groups/forums are definitely not equal

Some good points there. (y)

It is extremely frustrating every time you see people family parents/ kids buying the chameleon kit then coming on here to be told that most is wrong and now they have to find extra money they hadn't bargained for
That's one reason I think estimates of how much it costs to keep a 'meleon are outdated/too low, and one of the "mistakes" that all too often need rectifying.

( I don't know why zoo med sells this when being a big company they don't need to )
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-do-you-withstand-this.181893/#post-1656857

Back
Top Bottom