How do I know if he is drinking?

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
So my cham pretty shy right now, I just got him so I’m not too surprised, so I’ve never seen him drink. It’s also hard for me to monitor his urates because of my bioactive setup. It’s either hard to find, or it seems the cuc got to it first. The one time I saw it was yesterday, when he decided to poop on his Pothos.... This urate was white, but it seemed small, is that normal? I’ve seen pictures before and it wasn’t that small.

On another note, he seems to hate the mister. The first day it turned on, he wasn’t even in the direct line of fire or it it and ran to the farthest point of the enclosure that he could. Now it seems he knows these times and will go their when it’s about to mist. It annoys me because he holds onto the temperature and humidity probes, and I don’t want him to hurt himself somehow.

53345F90-AC20-4384-B23D-82B605A06B43.jpeg

So are there any other signs of dehydration that I should look out for? I was considering buying a Wyze camera so I could see what he does when I’m not around. It could be fun anyways, and I could monitor his drinking

My cham, Basil hates getting misted most of the time and I always catch him running away from the mister when my MK system comes on. It’s funny to watch, especially since he is so dramatic about it. I do also catch him just sitting and not moving when it comes on as well, so I think he just has his moments. I think it’s more common to not see a chameleon drink than it is to catch them drinking if that makes sense.

I think a problem many people make is having the mister on the inside of the cage. IMO it is better on the top of the screen and all of my chams enjoyed it.

All my chams have been closet drinkers. Ive seen them drink less than a dozen times during their lives. I envy those that have chams that take little showers when the misters go off, and do big drinks and eye ball washes :p

As far as "is he drinking" just monitor poops, if you get 2-3 yellow/oranges in a row, he dehydrated. If its only 1 outa 4 he fine, you dont pee clear 24/7 do you?

so is more of a wide spread rain dome with big droplets vs a very fine mist?

Yeah the nice thing is, mist still gets through, plenty of it. But it also isn't as aggressive and forms the rain drops. I also like how it comes straight down like a misty rain rather than a nozzle spraying water from a corner.

OP overall, not a big deal however you do it, the cham will adapt

You know he's drinking if his eyes aren't sunken in, it doesn't take long to become dehydrated for a cham.

I theorize what the eat dictates how much they drink. Different bugs have different water content. Silkworms seem to be the best at hydrating a chameleon.
I saw my chameleon drink many times from a big dipper when I first got him, but now I never seem he drink, but instead he goes in the drips of water wetting his body and maybe drinking. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom