How do i keep flies away from my crickets?

LuisMerc

I keep my feeder crickets in 18gal+ (rough estimate) containers. They’re outside with the lids cut open and screened (Georgia weather mid to high 80’s or low 90’s) Vermiculite for the bottom, flat egg cartons, cricket calcium, water crystals and i keep carrots in there. Occasionally ill throw in orange slices to keep them hydrated. I literally go out there every morning and find dead crickets, i clean them out literally everyday but im having a fly issue. Gnats everywhere, i tried apple cider vinegar with dish soap but it doesn’t seem to help much. On a side note, I managed to breed them successfully and it seems the pinheads are doing way better than the big guys themselves. But Any suggestions? Maybe some tips for keeping them inside or maybe a car garage? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
First of all, get banded crickets. Have sides and top ventilated if they're not already. Your flies may be phorid, they are attracted to dead/rotten things. You can tell by their hump backs and they tend to run over surfaces rather than take off flying when disturbed.

First of all, get banded crickets. Have sides and top ventilated if they're not already. Your flies may be phorid, they are attracted to dead/rotten things. You can tell by their hump backs and they tend to run over surfaces rather than take off flying when disturbed.
Yes definitely phorids. And containers are well ventilated with screened top and holes. Id post a pic but dont have any at the moment. And im sorry what do you mean by banded crickets? Im pretty new to all this.

Yes definitely phorids. And containers are well ventilated with screened top and holes. Id post a pic but dont have any at the moment. And im sorry what do you mean by banded crickets? Im pretty new to all this.

Makes sense, phorids tend to show up where there's dead bugs. They make matters worse by stressing out the other insects and making a smelly mess which ends up killing more too. Once the dead and any rotten food is gone they'll disappear. Banded are much hardier species of crickets. They rarely die and are overall better. The best place I have gotten crickets from is ghanns, but Josh's frogs and a few other places sell them as well. They're all a huge upgrade from the regular crickets you'd buy at the stores.

Don't crickets do better in cooler temps? or do they need 80-90 degree weather?

Makes sense, phorids tend to show up where there's dead bugs. They make matters worse by stressing out the other insects and making a smelly mess which ends up killing more too. Once the dead and any rotten food is gone they'll disappear. Banded are much hardier species of crickets. They rarely die and are overall better. The best place I have gotten crickets from is ghanns, but Josh's frogs and a few other places sell them as well. They're all a huge upgrade from the regular crickets you'd buy at the stores.
Thank you! I was also reading on google as you mentioned the banded crickets. I appreciate the help. Im gonna try and keep these pinheads alive and just replace my big crickets asap. Theres a repticon out in Jax july 4th. Im hoping to get great deals on feeders there

Are you doing any additional gutloading prior to feeding or only what you mentioned?

Cricket calcium and water crystals are a waste of money IMO.
I use the crystals because its what i first bought at the reptile shop and im just trying to use up the jar. I have the cricket calcium food “flukers” stuff I believe and just carrots. All i can think of at the moment.

Fruits and veggies, etc attract the phorid flies too...so it's hard to get rid of them...you want to gutload the insects but not attract the flies...hard to do. Phorid flies can even get into a sealed Tupperware container or past the gasket on a fridge. They are so hard to get rid of.

Fruits and veggies, etc attract the phorid flies too...so it's hard to get rid of them...you want to gutload the insects but not attract the flies...hard to do. Phorid flies can even get into a sealed Tupperware container or past the gasket on a fridge. They are so hard to get rid of.
I like them because they go to the mantis.

Back
Top Bottom