How do I feeder cup train my guy?

amandagreeneyez

Hello all- I've recently moved my panther into a large enclosure. However- he has grown quite accustomed to wanting out of his enclosure to both poop and eat. He loves to poop on me (sigh) and eat either off of me or on this plant I have outside his home. I was thinking about cup training him. He is 6 months old. Any thoughts or suggestions as this is new to me. Thank you and have a Grateful day!

Yeah just put the feeder cup in his cage and dont feed him any other way. Its gonna take a while for him to eat out of it but he will. I promise you he wont starve himself. I was having this problem with my jax and finally he just gave in and started eating out of the cup.

Any suggestions on a good spot to place his feeder cup or what kind of container is optimal? I read in a past thread to drill hole a place a piece of screen along the bottom for drainage which I'll definitely do but placement options/suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks for your responses!

I would place it near the basking spot.. in a place where his poop wouldnt fall If he poops in there...
there are more ways of cup feeding.
Ive heard people has good results with this kind of cup:
http://www.chameleonden.co.uk/images/feeding_1.jpg

feeders stay in the cup and walk up and down the screen back of the cup, and that attracks the chameleon

Nice! Thank you!!! The crickets always seem to congrigate near his basking light or UVB bulb and he seems intimidated when they are in a group. I'm assuming the superworms will do the same (walk on the screen?)

I placed the cup in the lower part of the cage, since they like to be in top part of the cage. I've got XXL Repti Breeze cage and I have placed my cup as I said in the lower part and in spot where he can see the feeders from the highest part of the cage. Make sure to not block the opening with leaves and stuff, try to keep a clear vison into the cup from above, but also make sure there is foliage and leaves around otherwise your cham can find the spot to exposed and wont be comtable enough to eat. Hope this help :)
I didn't have any problem at all to get my guy to cup feed, he went from free roaming flies to crickets in the cup asap.

Some of us have bigger needs :p

Here is a 3 gallon converted to a sunnyD DeathTrap.

Attachments

• IMG_20130209_124848.jpg
    IMG_20130209_124848.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 511
Thanks for the videos! Maybe I'll modify the region in which I placed mine. It sits below a piece of bamboo so he can pluck them off from above. I like the "drive by" dining. He may have used his cup once but I have been naughty and feeding him on his favorite plant (I,ve been off work for a few weeks so thats going to change as soon as I return). Thanks again for the links, they are very much appreciated.

Cup feeding

At first i put just under half of his food supply in the cup, then the more i started seeing him eat out of it, the higher percentage of his food i put in it. Now all of his food goes in the cup (except for weekends when i free range the crickets so he gets the chance to hunt still). At first i put the cup right in the middle of his tree where he could see it. Now i move it around every once i a while just so he has to search for his food.
Hope this helps!

I have a baby panther chameleon and he only eats crickets, how do you feed them crickets in a cup without them jumping out? I'm just curious cuz I'm starting to free range him and I don't want crickets all over my house.

Just get a cup thats tall enough and add something where he can hang down into it from.
I have a 4 month panther and I tried to bucket train him before but gave up. I have been trying again just because I worry about the crickets nibbling at him. Recently I just got worms on a spoon and teased him a bit then dropped them into the container and he went straight into it and ate the worms no problem. He hasn't eaten a cricket out of the bucket yet though...
The bucket with the mesh back is also an very good idea!

Back
Top Bottom