Horn worm

Jocccellynnn

Established Member
I bought a single hornworm for my Cham last night but I have not fed it to her yet because I am worried it is to big and I don’t want her to choke. My Cham is a veiled (5-6) months, and was wondering what age you guys started feeding your charms hornworms. I bought the smallest one they had.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 54
I bought a single hornworm for my Cham last night but I have not fed it to her yet because I am worried it is to big and I don’t want her to choke. My Cham is a veiled (5-6) months, and was wondering what age you guys started feeding your charms hornworms. I bought the smallest one they had.
How big is it hun? Like length wise?

It’s a lot bigger than the length between her eyes tho which is why I am a bit worried to feed her it.
Oh it should be perfectly fine if it is like an inch long. Your not looking at length when it comes to the space between the eyes your looking at the girth of the feeder.

Shake it around in a light dusting of calcium without d3 so its feet arent as sticky and then feed. These ones you do not want to put on branches they have really strong suction feet. So hand feed or cup feed.

Oh it should be perfectly fine if it is like an inch long. Your not looking at length when it comes to the space between the eyes your looking at the girth of the feeder.

Shake it around in a light dusting of calcium without d3 so its feet arent as sticky and then feed. These ones you do not want to put on branches they have really strong suction feet. So hand feed or cup feed.
I always hand or cup feed her, it has really gotten her to trust me and she always walks up to me when I feed her from the cup! So I will definitely do that, and okay cool thanks!

I always hand or cup feed her, it has really gotten her to trust me and she always walks up to me when I feed her from the cup! So I will definitely do that, and okay cool thanks!
Your welcome. I always feed hornworms at a smaller size like this. Their mandibles are smaller and there is less risk of the cham getting bitten. ;)

Your welcome. I always feed hornworms at a smaller size like this. Their mandibles are smaller and there is less risk of the cham getting bitten. ;)
The other ones at the pet store were GIANT, this worm was like microscopic compared to the other ones. I was telling my boyfriend about how they bite when we were in line and the lady at the petstore was like “they don’t bite!!” , but I have seen videos of them whipping their heads around and biting the chams face! Scary lol

The other ones at the pet store were GIANT, this worm was like microscopic compared to the other ones. I was telling my boyfriend about how they bite when we were in line and the lady at the petstore was like “they don’t bite!!” , but I have seen videos of them whipping their heads around and biting the chams face! Scary lol
Yeah I feed them off at much smaller sizes then others do. Max length I feed is an inch and a half. But I also experienced when Beman was about a year old him struggling to get a larger one down. It was not even large compared to some I have seen being fed. But for a good 30 minutes he held is neck up with nose pointed to the lights trying to get the thing down. It freaked me out. When they are smaller not only are the mandibles smaller so less risk of bites to the mouth and mouth rot happening but also their skin is not as tough so they can easily bite and puncture them. Everyone has there preference and what they feel comfortable with I am just more cautious with hornworms.

Silkworms I do feed larger. They do not have the same mandibles and they easily can chew them no matter the size.

Back
Top Bottom