Holiday arrangements

JulieWoodward

Hi, we are planning on going away for the easter break and I was wondering if there is a suitable/recommended "feeding" strategy as I dont want to rely on my neighbours and dont have any family nearby. I have an automister which mists twice a day, once before lights on and once after lights on. We're leaving thursday night and coming back on Monday, so we'll be away for 4 days. I typically feed him 10-12 critters every other day. My plan was therefore to feed him as usual on Thursday but then release 20-30 crickets in to his cage to keep him going for the next few days. Does that sound ok, or totally reckless and you think I should engage the neighbours? Many thanks in advance for your input.

How old is he? I would not release any crickets into the cage. Crickets like to chew on sleeping chams.

Will your misting system reservoir hold enough water for the 4 day period? Are your lights set on timers?

He’s about 2.5. The water system will hold sufficient water, I only fill it up every 10 days or so.
So at his age he should actually be eating much less... Like 4-5 feeders every other day or 3 days a week. You can easily go without feeding him for 4 days and him be perfectly fine. I would feed the day prior or the morning you leave and then when you return.

You might want to have someone come in just to ensure lights are on and off and there is no issue with the misting system. But they do not need to feed him.

I have an automister which mists twice a day
Is the mister reservoir large enough? If so, then you have nothing to worry about.

@Beman brings up a great point. You should have someone or some method of checking up on the room. You can also set up a camera in your room to monitor when the lights turn on/off. If you see an issue, then you can call a friend. Just make sure that the camera has a way of connecting to your phone when you are outside of the house wifi. I think most cameras can do this but just double-check anyways.

I have his lights on a timer and a camera to keep an eye on things as well as a hygrometer which I can check via my phone. I’ll reign back his food, he does love it, and practically eats out of my hand when I feed him :)

Back
Top Bottom