Hi, I am another excited noob ready to be addicted.

wilfred

Hello,

I have been researching chameleons and what it takes to properly care for one for almost a month now. I have been trolling this site and a couple others and also I have also purchased and read cover to cover: Chameleons Complete Pet Owner's Manual by Bartlett and Chameleons: Their Care and Breeding by Davison. I am pretty sure I have everything I need except a live plant, supplements, and feeder insects.

I have already reserved a male from Ed and Liddy Kammer @ chameleonsonly.com thanks to recommendations from this site. Thanks for those recommendations. I honestly cannot enough good things about them. They have been so helpful and supportive. I am gonna get one of Fosco's male babies. Which should be about three or four months old when I get him (I can find out the exact age).

The cage I bought is a large reptibreeze, sized 18x18x36". From what I gather that is too large for the little guy I am gonna get. I have read a couple topics about people saying you can just put a separator in until they get old enough. But, I am willing to by a smaller cage if it will be useful for a couple months.

So here are the questions...

-At what age would my chameleon be ready for the cage I currently have?

-If I were to buy say this cage from LLLreptile.com how long would that last him?

-Which is a better solution, buying another cage that is smaller or splitting the one I currently have in half or some other fraction?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions,
-David Perkins

edit: I realize I probably should have put this in the enclosure sub-forum bear with me I will learn... I hope.

Hey welcome, I'm also new to the forum and been researching for the past month. Next pay day is cage kit day! I can deffinantly feel your excitement and share in your enthusiasm about Chameleons. One question, of those two books which one did you find more helpful? Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your guy when you get him!

Welcome to the Forum. I would buy a smaller LLL cage, it will put the food closer to the cham, increasing the food intake. I would bowl feed in any cage as a rule, but you will get free ranging insects too, they seem to escape.

When you buy the cages and light fixtures, buy a 24 inch long fixture, then you can use the same light on the larger cage.

Never throw anything away, more chams are scheduled to be living with you in the future...:D

Nick

Welcome to the forum. Looks like your questions are covered. But you will have more, maybe I will get to answer those for you. All I can add is plan it so you will have some extra time. Chams take a good bit of time just to look at and enjoy!!! I have the fewest number of chams I have had in ages and I still spend lots of time with them. And lots on the forum, you will find you do that also.:D

Welcome Dave/Wilifred
You could use the 18x18x36" immediately, but it may be better to use a smaller cage initially (easier for the chameleon to find food and water, easier for you to find the chameleon). 18x18x36" is better for 6months-1year. You're going to want a 24" x 24" x 48" cage (or larger) for when your chameleon is a year plus.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a new question now.
Since your suggestions say to get a smaller cage to begin with...
What plant should I get for it since I don't believe a potted ficus will fit in that short of a cage? Even if it does it might allow my chameleon to get to close to the basking spot. My first thought was some sort of pothos, but you guys are the experts.

How old is the chameleon that you are buying? I would buy a small cage to start with and then after about 7 to 8 months old (if a panther) move to a cage at least 48 inches high.

On the link I provided they say he was born May 09 so I presume he will be no less than 3 months old when I get him. The cage was the first thing I bought and I am now realizing that might have been a mistake if it is too short. Money is not a huge deal for me especially since it seems like I will have a few months to save up for one.

Hey welcome, I'm also new to the forum and been researching for the past month. Next pay day is cage kit day! I can deffinantly feel your excitement and share in your enthusiasm about Chameleons. One question, of those two books which one did you find more helpful? Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your guy when you get him!

Chameleons: Their Care and Breeding
was by far my favorite. To be honest the information I found in the other book was covered multiple times on these forums and most reputable websites I looked at. Davison's book however taught me a lot and will make a great reference in the future. Its expensive and hard to find new but it is worth it without a doubt.

When you buy the cages and light fixtures, buy a 24 inch long fixture, then you can use the same light on the larger cage.
Nick

I did one thing right then I bought a 24" hood from someone in the classified section.

I also saw this cage do you think its better than the other one I was looking at. Also since my chameleon is primarily Ambanja I was looking at temperature ranges for that region and it seems to go from the mid 80's in the day to low 70's at night. Should that be the temperature range I shoot for in my little guy's cage? Maybe with a basking spot around 90 max?

Back
Top Bottom