Hey new to the forums - here is my Lizzie !

sang do you have a link to a misting unit so i know what one to buy and also a link to a dripping unit as im a bit lost with that one

http://www.herpmist.com/bigenchilada.shtml

seeing as you are in the UK, it will be more expensive to ship from the states to you.

just make sure to pay attention to the temps in the glass enclosure, those in the U.K have a method to doing it. and i know there are other reasons to using glass, just make sure there is good ventilation, and a little bit of a dry out time in between mistings.

i don't use a dripper, the misting system is for convenience so i don't have to mist, my system is on a timer... misting systems are great if you have more then one animal, i eventually plan on having a few, so i invested in a pump, one of the best things i did, as i cannot be home during the day here, and it gets very very dry 10% humidity.. even with plants.

he gets misted 4x a day, the first mist in the morning is about 3-5 mins long.. then throughout the day, he gets an additional 3 ten minute misting sessions, as that is the only way i can maintain a decent humidty level here in arizona.

thats amazing!! i am home regular as i only work half says and shift patterns but i think i may save and buy one of them !

i really appreshiate everyones help and i will post some upto date photo's when i have re done her vivarium

thanks again all

yes, the dripper will drain into the bottom of the enclosure, you may need to device someway to drain it out. be cautious though, standing water like *in a cup or bowl* that can also be a death trap *drowing* just have it drip into one of the plants.

Last edited:
i take it with the dripper mate you still need to put a bowl underneath it??

My dripper is above my plant, so its water all goes into the soil. Any excess water I have in the bottom of my enclosure, i just use paper towels to soak up

Sorry as this is a Chameleon Forum i just guess you knew it would be a chameleon sorry.

but yes i have a lovely girl chameleon :)

Sorry as this is a Chameleon Forum i just guess you knew it would be a chameleon sorry.

but yes i have a lovely girl chameleon :)

I figured ... but there are many species of chameleon and the husbandry is different for different species.
Before anyone can give you good advice, it is important to know what species of chameleon you are keeping.

-Brad

I just wanted to add, i have tried letting my dripper drip just into my plants. It was a bad idea. Plants can get root rot if to saturated, and gnats love soaking wet soil ( A BIG PEST) that it hard to get rid of. What i used to collect water from my dripper was a little rubber made dish, that i put screen over the top, to keep the chams out.

Also, i have used the same type of cage for baby chameleons. Even with paper towel if you mist correctly it is going to be soaking wet at the end of the day. It will be very important to soak this up every day, or else the air in the cage gets real nasty (bad for cham). It is important to mist you cham for several 5 minutes (at the least) cycle's. Since it can take a cham several minutes to start drinking. I strongly feel that just the water off of the leaves isnt enough, they like to drink the mist as well. Then if they are still thirsty a little bit after the misting they can drink off the leaves. It just seems to me it would be difficult getting your full water fill from the drips on the leaves.

When i was at home watching them or where i could keep an eye on them i would open the door just so they could get some fresh air, since these cages get real stuffy.

I hope this kind of gives you some pointers, I know that these cages can be real frustrating due to stail air, wetness, and keeping it from over heating. An idea for when you buy or build your screen cage, get one or build one with a drain. Just my opinion but it will make a world of difference.

My chameleons always run away from my misting. Since installing drippers I have been a lot happier with their urates. My misting wets down the leaves. I have removed all the silk plants from my enclosures because the water didn't last on them, however the real plants work very well and I see them licking the leaves throughout the day and the dripper hits the leaves by their basking spot. I don't soak down the cage for 5 minutes because there is enough moisture in my Florida air that I don't need to overdo it. I mist the plants until they start to drip and then quit. My veileds always have white urates so I guess I am doing something correctly.

hm, i believe it has been stated at least wtice it was a vieled, even in the 2nd photo, there is a sillouhette of what looks like a vieled.

Back
Top Bottom