HELPING CHAMELEONS!

I'm not super knowledgeable on this topic, but has this petition accounted for other animals where a compact uvb would be appropriate? I know of many people who keep small frogs, arboreal and ground-dwelling, who seem to benefit from lower levels of uvb. And a smaller, compact form of uvb is more feasible and cost-effective.

I do agree with the concept though. Compact lights are a huge cause of mbd in chameleons and something needs to be done. But not everyone has a chameleon.

I do believe that something needs to be done--perhaps proper informational sections such as a chameleon section or arboreal lizards where they do not include these uvb lights in the section.

Instead of banning the lights, why don't they ban the chameleon kit? Or try to petition to change the chameleon kit. I think the chameleon kit is the number one reason why people believe that compact uvb lights are acceptable.

Again, I haven't done much research at all on this topic, and I agree something needs to be done, though I'm not sure if this is the best way.

I'm totally open to discussion and willing to concede my point of view in the face of a good logical argument.
(I'm busy today, but I'll keep hopping on here to check throughout the day)

I will sign. However it is too unclear. I have been looking into something like this for a while. The problem is that no product is bad, just misused. It is the care information that needs to be updated, along with establish a standard of giving proper care and advice. This will take time as it won't make it to a law. It will only be achieved if we can get some one to start. It will be one of those things that shops do because the competitors are. It is a sad state, but there are likely to be no new laws or regulations coming ant time soon.
I think a petition is a great place to start. It is likely where I will start. I will be directing at PETCO they are first in search on the web so thus the biggest target. This will take on the order of 100k plus signatures. But if the request is only to offer proper care and advice, this could be achieved creating a snow ball effect. It must be about money unfortunately, that is what will be heard. 100k plus people stating against buying live exotics from you is significant. It was done for cats and dogs and they are no longer sold at the big box stores, just because it is bad for business. So it is possible.

Change needs to come out of this petition for the correct use of uvb bulbs, linear and compact. Just as compact bulbs can cause mbd, so can linear bulbs from being too far away or in a hard-to-reach area of the enclosure. The bulb isn't responsible for mbd, people are.

Petition signed (y)

I signed and now I’m just watching the number go up it went from 100 to 300 in a matter of seconds 😲. Also I was just thinking this for some reason it just popped into my head when I reading through the thread but, why do most people automatically assume they have a male when they purchase their chams (veileds specifically), it’s never a female always a male and then most turn out to be females 🙄. Just makes me think do these people think there can only be males?

I signed and now I’m just watching the number go up it went from 100 to 300 in a matter of seconds 😲. Also I was just thinking this for some reason it just popped into my head when I reading through the thread but, why do most people automatically assume they have a male when they purchase their chams (veileds specifically), it’s never a female always a male and then most turn out to be females 🙄. Just makes me think do these people think there can only be males?
I have heard a Petco employee say "we only sell males" when referring to chameleons......they also said they only sell female mice and gave me a male twice. I was like
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I realize, if you're uneducated about chameleons then differentiating between male and female is a difficult task...but mice? Like, do you not see what I am seeing? That just means you're not educated in ANATOMY. Lol!

I'm not super knowledgeable on this topic, but has this petition accounted for other animals where a compact uvb would be appropriate? I know of many people who keep small frogs, arboreal and ground-dwelling, who seem to benefit from lower levels of uvb. And a smaller, compact form of uvb is more feasible and cost-effective.

I do agree with the concept though. Compact lights are a huge cause of mbd in chameleons and something needs to be done. But not everyone has a chameleon.

I do believe that something needs to be done--perhaps proper informational sections such as a chameleon section or arboreal lizards where they do not include these uvb lights in the section.

Instead of banning the lights, why don't they ban the chameleon kit? Or try to petition to change the chameleon kit. I think the chameleon kit is the number one reason why people believe that compact uvb lights are acceptable.

Again, I haven't done much research at all on this topic, and I agree something needs to be done, though I'm not sure if this is the best way.

I'm totally open to discussion and willing to concede my point of view in the face of a good logical argument.
(I'm busy today, but I'll keep hopping on here to check throughout the day)
I agree, I also keep various species of anoles and day geckos, while I have been switching over to the Arcadia Shade Dweller 7% T5 fixtures with huge success, however have had years of success with the 5.0 UVB. Compact.

I agree, I also keep various species of anoles and day geckos, while I have been switching over to the Arcadia Shade Dweller 7% T5 fixtures with huge success, however have had years of success with the 5.0 UVB. Compact.
All of the UVB bulbs and fixtures are tools, and you’re absolutely right that, when used correctly for the correct application, T5 CFLs are a useful tool. The problem is most of the places selling them don’t have the first clue when and where that correct place is and they’re frequently sent home with Chams, and they can only be kind of useful on small Chams at a very close range (I’m sure you’re very aware, but it definitely drives the petition and outrage). And again, the folks selling them wouldn’t have the slightest clue what to do to make them work short term for the Yemen they just sold along with the 5.0 CFL
E6614D71-9512-46D3-85D4-C27A70152122.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom