Help!!!

beardeds7587

hi i really need help on this because everywhere i look and ask everyone is saying diff things to do but now im at a site where they knw all about diff chams and not just someone thinkin they knw so please help me this is my male chameleon from a pair i did have them housed together but once i seen that the female was getting larger then him i removed him to his own cage...i had them together only because they were still babies ....he is really tiny only thing i ever feed him was fruit flies i tried to give him pin head crickets but i guess he is to little cuz he didnt even try to eat them ... any advice will be appreciated thanks ....and im trying to upload pics of him and his cage on here so u can see for urself was going on so its easier to understand ...the current temp is 89 and 60% humidity ....but the past couple of days i had a stronger light in there and it was getting to 100's but i new it was to hot so i changed to a 60 watt bulb..... and night time temp doesnt get lower then 73...i been keeping the humidity high hopeing it was a shedding problem on his eyes, i put him in the shower yesterday and today and its the same results.... idk what i can do i tried my best so please help me he hasnt ate or drank or went to bathroom in like ill estimate 3 days

Attachments

• 0_1.jpg
    0_1.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 0_2.jpg
    0_2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 0_3.jpg
    0_3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 0_4.jpg
    0_4.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 113
We need more info, A lot more info. I know it is a pain but fill out the how to ask for help form at the top of the health section.

Basic info age, how long you have had them, kind of lights, brand of UVB coil or tube type, what supplements do you use. That will be a start.

Yah, the best thing to do is fill out this form:
Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon ,Male, idk how old he is but i had him for about 3-4 months so i think he's that old or a lil older
* Handling - not often unless im cleaning the cage and/or to give him a shower
* Feeding - fruit flies...thats all he can eat he still very small and he used to eat up to 7-8 flies a day
* Watering - i do the rain affect for about a minute like 3 times a day , i used to see him drink but now he dont open either eye so he hasnt been drinkin or eating
* Fecal Description - it was white and orange last time he went like 3-4 days ago

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 30 gallon long half glass half screen combo* Lighting -60 watt uva bulb and a reptisun 5.0 UVB tube* Temperature -day time it used to get real hot like 90'2 so i changed bulbs and now its like 83-85 during day and dont get lower then 73 at night
* Humidity -53% during day i mist before i go to sleep and get it in the 90%
* Plants- live plants forget the name think one is a pothos forget the other they said there safe for chams and no pestasides
* Placement - Where is your cage located?back bedroom- Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?-No ....At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? like 6 Foot im only 5'5
* Location - NJ USA

As was said, the temperature is too high. I keep baby veileds in the low 80's.
I wonder if he could have aspirated water too...IMHO I don't use drippers only a fine mist to water young veileds.

He should be able to eat true pinheads. Young crickets are softer bodied than adults...so even a little bit bigger than pinheads should be okay.

You didn't mention supplements (be specific please).

IMHO you need to get it to a vet ASAP. It doesn't look good unfortunately.

IMHO...In my humble/honest opinion.

How often do you use the supplement? Does it have any phos. or prEformed vitamin A in it?
D3 from supplements can build up in the system and cause problems. Its usually recommended to use it only twice a month and let the chameleon produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light. As long as it can move in and out of the UVB light it won't produce an overdose of d3.

Because most insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus, its important to dust at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder.

I also dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A.

You said your guy is at least 3 or 4 months old and eating fruit flys? My 2 month old eats 1/4 inch crickets. Something is really wrong if all your little one will eat is fruit fly. I agree you most surely do need to see a qualified chameleon vet. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Also can you post pictures?

post pics of my chams or my bearded dragon well he prob would eat the crickets if he could see them im pulling my hair out i got a vet appt today 5:45

If he is keeping his eyes shut all/most of the time, then he needs to go to a vet to figure out why....and you don't have much time to get it done.

Have you tried to feed him insects by placing on in his mouth? Have you tried to give him water (slowly and carefully...so he won't aspirate it) with a (needleless) syringe? Have you tried using a veggie babyfood like squash or sweet potato just to get something in him until you can get him to the vets?

The reason I asked about the beardies, the supplementation and gutloading of insects that I use for chameleons I also use for beardies....so if you've kept beardies for a few years and they are doing well that part of your husbandry for the chameleons is likely good.

You need to be careful showering and using a dripper on such a small chameleon...they can aspirate water and die.

he wont open his eyes to drink or eat ...i guess vet is what i got to do :(

I have a suggestion. When I got my first cham he was fine but about a month later one eye started lookin a lil abnormal. I thought it was an infection so I took him 2 the Vet. She sent me hm with antibiotics I used all of them and not only did it not clear it up it spread 2 the other eye. So I took him back again. She gave me more tobramycin and sent me on my way... About 3 days go by and his eyes look horrible. By this time he hardly could see anything. He lost his appetite but he was still drinking from a dropper. Well I started researching myself and found an article about Vitamin A deficiency and he had the same symptoms, immediately started him on a Vit A regimen 1/20th of a drop of V-A once a day 4 about 7 days and on the 4th day I say amazing results!!! His eyes look great and he's eating and hunting. No more wiping his eyes putting antibiotics and lubricating eye drops n them and he is finally comfortable! So I hope this helps. If you need anything else just holler! ;)

thank you cuz his eyes still shut and the vet gave me stuff and i think vets just out there to make money and sell products that never help but ill start him on the vitamin A stuff is it liquid or powder and do u recall where u got urs from?

thank you cuz his eyes still shut and the vet gave me stuff and i think vets just out there to make money and sell products that never help but ill start him on the vitamin A stuff is it liquid or powder and do u recall where u got urs from?

I got it from Wal mart in the pharmacy. It is Vit A in gel caps. What I do is poke a hole n the gel cap with a needle and squeeze out one drop then u gotta think u only need 1/ 20th of that so I just barely dip my cricket n it and hold it up to him make sure it is still moving. Sometimes if u get the oil on the crcks face it will drown. Anywho if he is not going 4 it u may have to open his mouth gently and put the bug n his mouth. Just remember that u can over dose these lil guys so don't give to much I treated mine 4 about 7 days and I saw improvement on the 3rd or 4th day. I also putdrops for dry eye n his eyes to help. Please research this so u can decide 4 urself and let me know how everything works out!! And if it works let ur Vet know what u did so they can b informed, I know my Vet wasn't and she specializes n exotics. Like u said they r all about the $$ and not actually trying to figure out the problem. Human Doc's r the same!! ttyl

My first chameleon also would not open her eyes. One had an infection but I wonder if she too had a vitamin A deficiency? She was a rescue from Petsmart :mad:

Please be careful with the preformed vitamin A. It can build up in the system and it can take many months for the excess to be used up.

Back
Top Bottom